Cool range of Old West MDF buildings

shuttler

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Here are three buildings showing off step 1 in my painting process. Two are Sarissa Precision and the other is by Gamecraft.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11322[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11323[/ATTACH]

Maybe I've missed it, but any chance you can share how you painted those buildings? I've had my Sarissa stuff for about 18 months and have yet to paint them but this looks perfect for my purpose.

Maybe I've missed it, but any chance you can share how you painted those buildings? I've had my Sarissa stuff for about 18 months and have yet to paint them but this looks perfect for my purpose.

Let's see if I can shorten up the process a bit.

1) Prime the building white. I have tried this process on an unprimed building but the MDF just soaks up the inks and dyes.

2) For a really grey wood affect I use black fabric dye. I don't like the RIT brand as their black is very purple. I'm not at home so I don't remember the brand off the top of my head but go to Joanne's and look it there. I think its called Scribbles. Dilute this with water about 1:1 and apply liberally over the entire building. Even if you are going to paint over it. For newer wood I use liquitex inks mostly raw sienna, a little burnt sienna and occasionally burnt umber and raw umber. Again I thin these way down about 1:1 with water. Its better to build up to the color you want than to start to dark. Let this dry.

3)If you just want to leave bare wood you are done. If you want to paint some of the wood and show the peeling paint affect then you need to buy some rubber cement. Dab the rubber cement on kind of randomly, mostly in locations that are very exposed to the elements.

4) Apply your paint, I'm usually using my airbrush at this point but brush painting is just. Finish your painting including highlights and shading if you are doing any.

5) Using a pencil eraser rub it across the surface. Any place you have paint it will tend to pull up the rubber cement revealing the "weathered" wood underneath and giving a nice peeling paint affect.

6) Seal with your favorite matte sealer. You can skip this part if you want the paint jobs are pretty sturdy.

I just got my first set of non-malifaux laser cut mdf buildings from a kickstarter that i helped fund. Damn they smell! It is like sitting in front off a camp fire!

Do Sarissa's buildings have this problem?

Yes. But basically the laser burns the 'wood' so its inevitable. Goes away pretty quickly.

The Hotel upgrade is top of the list to order next time. At the moment we just don't use it.

With the upgrade this will change!

The smell is the funniest part about the mdf buildings. The first time I started to build those my wife came in and complaining about indoor fire for miniature stuff is a no go ;-)

• 1 month later...