Any questions or criticism of the fluff?

nerdelemental

Abuela kept stopping him from stealing her cookies,that drove the poor guy mad. As for why they use the tactics of their targets,how better to bring something down then using its own toys against it. As for Seamus,he is the Ressurectionist Pimp,and That is why he can make Henchman undead,though the Gorgon's tear certainly helped to make Molly who she is today.

Hello my wife and I just started Malifaux not to long ago we picked it up because we love the art and stories. I realy enjoy the gremlins and love the crazy little green guys. I started with Sommer and picked up Ophelia shortly after, but I have enjoyed Sommer more. I hope to see more gremlins in the future but also hope they continue with more of their own fluf and not copying some one else like the Ortegas. One thing I would not mind seeing is a giant unique gremlin, a swamp troll or something, not bad Juju but an actual unique giant mutated gremlin of some sort.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm happy I stumbled upon this thread, it's got me all excited for book 3!!!

I'm not an Arcanist player, but Marcus really does need some fluff love. Poor bastehd hasn't been mentioned once.

Also, I really love how the factions are more internally separated than the game makes them out to be, especially the Guild. All of the masters have their own goals, besides the vision of the Gov. Lady J seems to be the only one really working for the Governor General, while Sonia seems to be on a quest for knowledge (which I think will get her in trouble down the road), the Ortega's seem like hired guns to keep the Nephilim at bay *shrugs*. They seem pretty content hanging out on the ranch provoking the Neverborn and playing Gremlin round up! Hoffman also has his own issues, after all he is clearly using his newly acquired powers (his magic and his position in the Guild) for alterior motives. The most organized faction, in appearance, seems to have the most internal struggle...could I be on to something here...?

Oh, and going out on a limb here with this one but, do the massive amounts of toads that hang around Zoraida have anything to do with the Gremlins? This was mentioned in one of the Chronicles (I forget which one). They seemed to be sort of "controlled" by her in a way. If I'm right (not that I am) I doubt I'll get a straight answer, but worth a shot =D.

Thanks and keep it up guys, your game/fluff is awesomesauce!!!

Marcus has been mentioned in the first book as he takes rasputina. He's also mentioned during the event when you see all the avatar forms of the masters. Think he's mentioned another time but cant think of it off hand.

But i agree i would like to hear more about him.

Thought I'd wander in...

Critcisms on the fluff: None really. I figure that y'all are pacing this as you wish to. Would I like to see more fluff? Yes, be it Chronicles, Novelette or a full blown Novel, yes I would. An RPG would be real nice. However, I am fully aware y'all are stretched thin and any 'increases' to the writing staff must be set up so that all are following the broad strokes of the storyline.

Questions:

1. Is the fluff driving the creation of the Avatars or the Avatars driving the fluff?

2. Most of the Avatars seem to be women. Planned, or just happen that way? Well, technically, Hamelin is a Avatar (seeing as how he is a walking Tyrant) but we're going to have Pandora and at least 2 (more than likely 3) female ones. Tina just scraped away from being one...

3. We steadily are heading to a crescendo within Malifaux, with Avatars and higher powered Minions and Henchmen. Do y'all have a plan in place for Malifaux post the big-showdown? I'm not looking for teasers here, just wondeing how far down the line y'all have envisioned this.

-Brandu

I must add to the voice asking for more chronicles. Perhaps Malifaux is big enough to warrant a quarterly magazine, paid not free?

It would be great to see the fluff proceed gradually and create some sort of introduction, before the next "big" book hits the shelves. It would also give us a chance to read more about existing characters - the Books tend to focus on introducing the new ones.

2. Most of the Avatars seem to be women. Planned, or just happen that way? Well, technically, Hamelin is a Avatar (seeing as how he is a walking Tyrant) but we're going to have Pandora and at least 2 (more than likely 3) female ones. Tina just scraped away from being one...

Most as in.. 10/20 Masters being female?

I've been under the impression all along that every Master would get an Avatar version.. :x I realize I might be wrong but I think I'd be disappointed if it weren't so.. xD

Also not sure which Avatars you consider 'certain' (other than Pandora).. Or what you think an Avatar is at all.. I doubt Hamelin in his current form is anything of the like.

Anyway.. Since it's this thread..

Again:

What's with the zillion giant-zombies crawling up from the abyss in the end of Book2's fluff?!?

(Edit: Why isn't anyone else bothered by this? xD)

Wow, have I dropped the ball on keeping up with this thread!

Apologies, but it's been crazy busy on the Wyrd end this whole last month.

Let's get to it!

What colour blood do Gremlins have?

Is it black like the other natives of Malifaux, red or other

"What does it matter if it's pink, purple, or heliotrope?"

-the Jackelope, Boundin'

I'm happy I stumbled upon this thread, it's got me all excited for book 3!!!

I'm not an Arcanist player, but Marcus really does need some fluff love. Poor bastehd hasn't been mentioned once.

Also, I really love how the factions are more internally separated than the game makes them out to be, especially the Guild. All of the masters have their own goals, besides the vision of the Gov. Lady J seems to be the only one really working for the Governor General, while Sonia seems to be on a quest for knowledge (which I think will get her in trouble down the road), the Ortega's seem like hired guns to keep the Nephilim at bay *shrugs*. They seem pretty content hanging out on the ranch provoking the Neverborn and playing Gremlin round up! Hoffman also has his own issues, after all he is clearly using his newly acquired powers (his magic and his position in the Guild) for alterior motives. The most organized faction, in appearance, seems to have the most internal struggle...could I be on to something here...?[/end]

Well, yeah, but it's certainly not isolated to the Guild. Rasputina has clearly pissed off Ramos by killing (or worse?!) his miners that were sent to the Northern Mountains.

Oh, and going out on a limb here with this one but, do the massive amounts of toads that hang around Zoraida have anything to do with the Gremlins? This was mentioned in one of the Chronicles (I forget which one). They seemed to be sort of "controlled" by her in a way. If I'm right (not that I am) I doubt I'll get a straight answer, but worth a shot =D.

Thanks and keep it up guys, your game/fluff is awesomesauce!!!

Nothing big connected between toads and gremlins other than a slight nod at her control over bayou critters. You might see more in the future. ;)

Marcus has been mentioned in the first book as he takes rasputina. He's also mentioned during the event when you see all the avatar forms of the masters. Think he's mentioned another time but cant think of it off hand.

But i agree i would like to hear more about him.

Hold on to your pantyhose! Eric's said Marcus is one of his favorite characters and he's one of mine, too! He's been on the bench for the first major story arc but he'll clearly be on the field from here on out. I'm sure you'll all be pretty pleased with where we're taking him. I hope he fulfills expectations but also delivers a few very interesting surprises by his history and his motivations.

Thought I'd wander in...

Critcisms on the fluff: None really. I figure that y'all are pacing this as you wish to. Would I like to see more fluff? Yes, be it Chronicles, Novelette or a full blown Novel, yes I would. An RPG would be real nice. However, I am fully aware y'all are stretched thin and any 'increases' to the writing staff must be set up so that all are following the broad strokes of the storyline.

Questions:

1. Is the fluff driving the creation of the Avatars or the Avatars driving the fluff?

Well, neither or both. Rules were conceptualized for Avatars before Book I dropped so they've been in mind. But when I wrote about the Event in Book II and the Red Cage falling, that was all just fluff. I saw a way to strongly tie that sub-arc to the Avatars that were coming. We all want the rules and fluff to tie as tightly as possible. Now, I think we're in the best position ever to see strong connections between the Dev Team and writers (Keltheos and I are both!) so they each drive one another, I suppose.

Avatars are only part of my writing vision, though, and not necessarily the most important part.

:)

Gencon is going to be exciting.

3. We steadily are heading to a crescendo within Malifaux, with Avatars and higher powered Minions and Henchmen. Do y'all have a plan in place for Malifaux post the big-showdown? I'm not looking for teasers here, just wondeing how far down the line y'all have envisioned this.

-Brandu

Ha! this'll blow your socks off, then.

Book III core story is done. I have an outline of Book IV that'll get started very soon. I have Book V "big arc concept" and notes on the sub-stories that'll need continuation. I have Book VI "big arc concept". How's that?

I'm excited to see more Neverborn fluff, but I'd also like to delve into some of the other characters. With all respect to Rasputina, I think book 3 can do without any of her fluff. I'd like to see Leveticus, Marcus, Collodi, and Kaeris get some shine time.

Well, then, you'll be disappointed at all the love I gave to Rasputina, but I think you'll get over it when you see those other characters get a bit of time in the light. (and I don't think you'll be too disappointed with Rasputina's stuff, either).

Every main character needs time in the fluff. Some are key characters that just have to show up all the time. They're the icons of the game: Sonnia, Rasputina, Ramos, Seamus, Lilith - they'll be in and out of every book, probably whether I like it or not. They're just so big. Whenever I try to wrap one up the storytelling just gets bigger. Rasputina, Sonnia, and Seamus in particular drive so much of the story by accident. I don't really get writer's block but when I hit a speed bump I can just lean back and integrate one of those key characters and it'll all just sort of get up and run.

Some characters are just fun for me to write but aren't key to the major story arcs. Marcus, Kirai, McMourning (is hella fun to write), Viktorias (which are really hard to write so they're fun because of the challenge).

Anyway.. Since it's this thread..

Again:

What's with the zillion giant-zombies crawling up from the abyss in the end of Book2's fluff?!?

(Edit: Why isn't anyone else bothered by this? xD)

Now that's a good question. Although, they're not exactly giant-zombies. Not exactly zombies. Not exactly giant, either.

:)

Most as in.. 10/20 Masters being female?

I've been under the impression all along that every Master would get an Avatar version.. :x I realize I might be wrong but I think I'd be disappointed if it weren't so.. xD

Also not sure which Avatars you consider 'certain' (other than Pandora).. )

No, as in the teasers that were shown in book two.

Pandora is already a certainty.

Perdita, almost certainly I'd say 99.99%

Lady J. Do you really think that the main leader of the Death Marshals is going to have an issue with being Buried? (sides, buried doesn't mean killed or sacrificed in Malifaux, she's still in play)

Sonia, more than a good chance.

Males:

Hamelin: he already is one.

Nico - more than likely.

Off the top of my head I can't come up with any other definite ones except for maybe Seamus. Would like to see Seamus as an Avatar and Molly as a full Master.

Or what you think an Avatar is at all.. I doubt Hamelin in his current form is anything of the like.)

Look up the definition of the word Avatar

-Brandu

Awesome, you have won a cookie. Also by that definition of Avatar would Rasputinia be an Avatar of December?

Whooo-hooo! A cookie!

Nope, not Tina, but SnowStorm should be. ;)

Back on Topic:

Francisco to Henchman status by the fluff?

A bit on some of the Lessers perhaps? eg: The Ronin, Molemen

Myranda! You know I don't recall seeing anything fluffwise concerning her... Conspicious by her absense?

-Brandu

Now that's a good question. Although, they're not exactly giant-zombies. Not exactly zombies. Not exactly giant, either.

smile.gif

The stench of old death wafted thicker from the pit = Zombies

A large hand, bigger than a grown man's chest, grabbed hold of the edge near them = Giants

-> Zombie-Giants!! xDD

What else could it be?!

Look up the definition of the word Avatar

I know what an avatar is, however I doubt Wyrd is using any of the common meanings for their 'avatars' to be honest.. Thus why I don't think the current Hamelin is one (not in game terms anyway).

If you count Nicodem as a certain avatar candidate, then I'm not sure why you wouldn't count Marcus, McMourning or Hoffman as they're mentioned to have amplified powers aswell during the Event aswell.

There's even this paragraph:

Every Master of Soulstone in Malifaux experienced the same transcendence. The power infused them, changing them, drawing their natural power out and embodying it in an external manifestation of their control and abilities.

Which is why I think we'll see an avatar version of every Master sooner or later..

I know what an avatar is, however I doubt Wyrd is using any of the common meanings for their 'avatars' to be honest.. Thus why I don't think the current Hamelin is one (not in game terms anyway).

If you count Nicodem as a certain avatar candidate, then I'm not sure why you wouldn't count Marcus, McMourning or Hoffman as they're mentioned to have amplified powers aswell during the Event aswell.

There's even this paragraph:

Every Master of Soulstone in Malifaux experienced the same transcendence. The power infused them, changing them, drawing their natural power out and embodying it in an external manifestation of their control and abilities.

Which is why I think we'll see an avatar version of every Master sooner or later..

I agree with your reasoning here completely.

Rasputina, and Snow Storm each have a part of December, that doesn't mean any of the three are Avatars in the Wyrd sense. Hamelin is pseudo-possessed by Plague, definitely not an Avatar.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/avatar

I don't think any of them are even avatars through denotation. They're more of carrier of a tyrant, allowing the tyrants to cheat death through having a sort of half life.