First experience with Viktorias

Er1k

#Hi

Played my first game using a Viktoria crew last night (only my second game, first was a demo using a guild crew and it was against the local Henchman).

I lost unfortunately but had great fun. The starter set seemed to let me down as I only had 1ss in a 25ss game as Viktoria doesnt have any. Was playing a Lilith crew that just devastated me.

Looking forward to learning more about the Viktorias. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how I should change the list to make it more effective

Cheers

Yeah, The Viks box set isn't great for starting out. I really like, and regularly use all of the minions it contains, but only one or two at a time backed up with some cheaper options.

For a 25 stone game, I would go for :

Viks

Ronin

Ronin

Ronin

Convict Gunslinger

5 SS

It's quick, tough, decent at ranged and deadly in melee and has card control from the Slinger.

And a word of advice, always take as many stones as you can with the Viks. They can be a little squishy, also the ability to summon another Ronin is often underestimated and overlooked.

I really like the Viks, and use them quite a lot. They are a lot trickier to use well than some of the other masters though.

To add to them for now I would say a pack of ronin is a very good purchase. They will be your cheap filler grunts in many games at any points. They also hit well and are very manouverable.

Taylor rocks and I tend to use her whenever the Viks are on the table. Cant beat her as a solid anchor for your force.

At 25 points I often use Taylor, two ronin and the Viks, giving a 7SS stash.

Dont overlook Bishop though, although a high costed figure, he can do some amazing things, it just takes a bit of practice to get him working smoothly for you.

I'm currently enjoying using the friekorps with her. You need Von Schill if you're going to use more than 2, but the Librarian and the trappers both give some very nice options. Two Trappers working together can scare most forces away from one area. And with the reposition trigger they can be surprisingly mobile as well as dishing out the damage...

• 2 weeks later...

I think its 8 but I could be wrong!! That might be for Brawls.

I hope you've had some success with the Viks since this game, it took me a few games though to get my first win (with Lady J), as I just didn't (and still don't!) know the synergies between models very well. Still, you were playing Lilith who is a CC monster!

As long as fun is had, thats what counts (as my poor win to loss ratio will attest!)

Had any more games yet btw Er1k? How are the Viks going?

Had a game on Friday night. playing another Viktoria crew. I had my 2 Viks, 3 Ronin and a Gunslinger. Unfortunately I got beat. It was against the standard Viktoria starter set. I rushed forward too much and drew some pretty lousy cards. Aaah well there's always next week

Er1k, I have had good luck the last couple of weeks in 30SS games, running: 2 Viks, Taylor, Misaki, Convict Gunslinger, and one ronin. If my math and memory are correct, this gives me 4 SS cache, which has been enough (just). For 25SS I'd probably drop Misaki or Taylor, and maybe add add another ronin depending on SS use.

I have won against Colette and Freikorps with this list -- not to say this is the end-all-be-all, just works well for my style of play and getting into melee.

Er1k, I have had good luck the last couple of weeks in 30SS games, running: 2 Viks, Taylor, Misaki, Convict Gunslinger, and one ronin. If my math and memory are correct, this gives me 4 SS cache, which has been enough (just). For 25SS I'd probably drop Misaki or Taylor, and maybe add add another ronin depending on SS use.

I have won against Colette and Freikorps with this list -- not to say this is the end-all-be-all, just works well for my style of play and getting into melee.

Thanks for the advice KiltedWolf, I think I might give this list a go. I'm sure my mates will be ok with me proxying a Misaki model as I don't have one yet (and I'm spending no more until I've saved all the money I intend to spend in the good old U S of A this September)

I was thinking of trying a Taylor model in my game this weekend, I'm just trying out as many combinations as I can at the moment. I've also figured out that I have had more games of Malifaux this year alone than I had of ANY game last year so I must be enjoying myself

Reading my rulebook this morning, I came across a rule that I had forgotten last weekend. I forgot that I could have used soulsstones to help Viktoria win combat duels, I had'nt realised that although a master doesnt have "use soulstones" on their profile that they can still use them. That alone would probably have won me the game (well that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

Thanks again for the post (I've just realised this is my 100th post and I've only been here a few weeks, maybe I should get on and paint my models instead of just hanging around the forums)

I really like Misaki with the Viks. I often take her if I need to be speedy/aggressive and Taeylor if I need to be defensive. Putting Misaki and the Freikorps Librarian near each other on turn 1-2 has been pretty effective. Letting Misaki have +casting for her spells makes them more likely to succeed without using a card, and the [tomes] isn't used by the Viks for anything. That's my big reason for being careful about taking Jack Daw with the Viks. They both really want the high masks, and then you have to choose who to use it with when you get one.

I like the Viks because with the right crew you can handle lots of different encounters: aggressive and maneuverable to defensive/stationary. Plus there are great options for both melee and ranged combat. The only place they really lack is good casting, especially damaging spells. But you can't ask for everything.

I'm currently enjoying using the friekorps with her. You need Von Schill if you're going to use more than 2, but the Librarian and the trappers both give some very nice options. Two Trappers working together can scare most forces away from one area. And with the reposition trigger they can be surprisingly mobile as well as dishing out the damage...

Friekorp are in-faction for the Viks.