Zoriada and her starter box

tellos

Hello everyone.

I am new to malifaux (played 2 games against my friend last night,hes new aswell).

Picked most things up quite quickly (we play quite a feew game systems,i think this helped). The mechanics of the game are sound and well laid out in the rule book.

I do have some questions as we are the only 2 people playing in our area i thought the best thing to do would be open a thread for my simple questions.

I have purchased the neverborn Zoriada crew set and my friend has purchased the sumerteeth jones set (he has some totems on the way with some extra backup from more little green men).

I cant find a points cost in my rule book for my voodoo doll totem,do i get it for free?

Also what are your opinions on the silurids,are they worth there points cost,would you run all 3 or try and get away with two (i can see why you wouldnt run 1!!!).

We will be playing 25 stone games at first.

Totems: I think, for the most part, most totems attached to a specific master cost 2 soulstones, but don't quote me on that.

Silurids: These guys are pretty good, for what you pay for them. They're biggest downfall is their need for water, so I would wait until you decided on terrain to see how many you run. While two is effective, if one of them gets killed you're kind of screwed, so three might be better. Also remember that Zoraida allows target model to ignore one ability for an activation. If there is only one left, you can always activate Zoraida first, nix that ability, and move the Silurid to a piece of watery terrain.

Hope this is a little helpful :)

As far as i know the vodoo doll is free, becouse you have to summon it. thats why it says summond instead of a soul stone cost (same with mindless zombies)

And silurid are worth there weight in soul stone, i take them as much as i can. they are very flexible. at first they might seem week and dependent on terain but i have never needed the water and after you get used to them they can be very powerfull.

Sillurids are awesome. They can move more than 20 inches in a turn given the right circumstances. They can pack activate to take down a large target quickly. Their leap abillity ignores terrain. If you are playing on a board with a lot of water they get even better because they move even faster.

Sillurids are horrible. They die very easily. They don't always do a lot of damage. If you get down to only 1 left then you can pretty much assume it will die the next turn. They can move really far but if they do then they can't attack as many times (or at all).

Mine are named Peter, Paul, and Mary. Mary is the big scary looking one.

My friend who has played against them just stated that they are great for tying up a unit or getting an objective quickly, but that they are not very survivable. Most master's (and a lot of combat oriented models) can one shot kill them on a severe flip. They do not have a lot of wounds, but they move very quickly and as a pack can deal a lot of damage.

My results with them are mixed, but I like them enough that I have continued to use them.

Silurids are fantastic - they have some incredible mobility and are very good at performing hit and run attacks, allowing them to damage/kill enemy models with your opponent having no chance to retaliate against them.

What they're particularly excellent for is objectives. There are plenty of strategies/schemes that require to (1) or (2) interact with a model or object, or require models to be in a given location by the end of the game. Silurids, with their very high movement abilities are excellent at achieving these.

It's true that they're squishy, but if you're smart and use their mobility to keep them out of danger (not hard) your opponent will have a hard time killing them.

The biggest weakness of the silurid, IMO, is their very low Wp score. This makes it difficult for them to effectively engage anything requiring a WP duel (ie. terrifying, pitiful and harmless models), so you're best off avoiding such models when you can (unless you're using Marcus with his Howl ability, but that's another Master altogether).

Edited by Rathnard

Well, i arrived late to the post, all my fellow forumites have already answered all your questions, so i will only say 2 things... Yes Sillurids are awesome and you have picked the most wonderful master in the game (for some of us of course) she is all about control, good choice!

Zoraida summons voodoo dolls as one of her actions, but she also has a voodoo doll totem, seperate from the ones she summons to work magic on; at least, that was my understanding.

Nope there is only one type of Voodoo Doll and you can't start with it... She can summon a Voodoo Doll as a (2) action.. She can also replace one in play with a new one. But they are all totems.. So in other words she summons her own totem.

Both are correct sort of...She may summon the Voodoo Doll during play to act as her totem (for free) however she may also use that same spell to summon Wicked Dolls (from Book II Rising Powers) for free or she may pay for them to start in the crew (in which case she pays for them as normal). The Wicked Dolls have a rule which allows multiples to be in play without sacrificing the Voodoo Doll.

Edited by Omenbringer

My group has recently started playing malifoux as well, and Zoraida is one of my more favorite masters. Here is what my group has decided about malifoux. At first, we were trapped into conventional thinking al la Warhammer. Where you try to build an all-comers list and then use that army to deal with the terrain and scenario as best you can. Malifoux requires a different mind set.

Its doable, but hard, to say "This is my Master and his/her normal crew."

What you should be saying is "This will be my faction."

Now the game goes like this.

1. Declare faction

2. Setup terrain and pick Strategy.

3. Pick Master and crew - This is my absolute favorite thing about Malifoux. Do I have a terrain heavy board which would limit mobility? Silurids or flying models are great. Do I need to interact with many pieces of terrain? Again mobility models are King. Do I need to defend a fixed point such as claim jump or defend the wagon? Better bring something tougher than a Silurid. Now I see what crew I need, which Master complements that crew the most? Bring that Master.

4. Declare your crew, as does your opponent.

5. Pick schemes. Here you have a choice of picking schemes that play to your crew's strengths or your opponent's weaknesses.

My group feels this is how Malifoux should be played. It insures that if I bring a knife to a gunfight, its my fault. Thinking in this way makes Malifoux a very balanced and fun game. The downside is that now you have to spend more money on models. But hey, if we wanted a cheap hobby we wouldnt be anywhere near miniature gaming anyway would we?

My group has recently started My group feels this is how Malifoux should be played. It insures that if I bring a knife to a gunfight, its my fault. Thinking in this way makes Malifoux a very balanced and fun game. The downside is that now you have to spend more money on models. But hey, if we wanted a cheap hobby we wouldnt be anywhere near miniature gaming anyway would we?

I agree with this very much. It's the beauty of Malifaux.