Rules on conversions?

aedh11

Is there a rule as to what miniatures, or parts of miniatures, you're allowed to use? I know PP Say that 60% of the model your representing has to come from the PP miniature for that model, and I was wondering whether Wyrd have a similar policy?

I believe that it is entirely down to the individual tournament organisers.

For our local group, we have a general policy that people are allowed to use Proxies as long as the official model hasn't been released. And if the official model IS released, we still usually give people a couple of weeks or so in order to afford to buy the official model and get it assembled and stuff.

As for full on conversions though, I would take a page from other tournament rules for other games. As long as you can produce the original model and official stat card upon request, that it wouldn't bother me if you wanted to play with a converted piece, so long as it followed all the necessary rules for the piece, like being the right base size. The only other important thing, IMO, is that the converted piece is easily distinguishable from the rest of the crew, and obvious for the model you're intending it to be.

• 1 month later...

aside from the fact, to me, proxying is when you use a penny to represent a model, I'm good with conversions, it's half of what I like about miniatures, conversions.

I've generally played with conversions allowed, since my rotten belle, 1 canine remain, are conversions, plus I'm sculpting a flesh construct for a contest at my local store.

my brother's got Ramos, is scratchbuilding his own brass arachnid and electric entity, because he prefer's to scratchbuild than he doe the wyrd models.

Long as the opponent knows what the mini is supposed to be, I'm good, but I don't do alot of tournements anyway. and can understand if wyrd's official stance with any tournaments they may do, is to limit how much of the mini is not wyrd

Personally, as long as I can tell, at a glance, what a model is supposed to be, I have no issues.

Now, conversions that fall into the realm of "counts-as," I will have more trouble with--if I can't tell, at a glance, exactly what a model is supposed to be, then I would say it's inappropriate to use. So, for example, using Bette Noir as Molly or a headless Gnoblar as the Necrotic Machine wouldn't be a great idea (and yes, I've played against that on several occasions).

Ultimately, I think you'll find it extremely rare for a player to be penalized for using a non-standard model. Most tournaments are held in the desire to get a bunch of players together and have fun, and kicking people out makes that a lot less easy.

Proxies and Conversions are two different things. We allow Proxies for the generally accepted reasons listed. We do not allow, chess pieces or figures from other games and the like.

Conversions are welcomed as long as they are just that, a Wyrd piece that is converted. Arms or leg positions are the easiest and first timers start with these. We had a player that converted a right handed figure to a left handed figure.

As far as sculpting or scratching your own, If it looks like a Malifaux piece and can be used with a card, we would seriously consider allowing it.

I have seen, albeit rarely where a tournament will say X% (usually 70-80) of models must be <Insert company> product. I tend to like this rule as if I don't like a particular model or it doesn't fit in with the theme I'm going for I can use a different one.

This is the case with my Freikorps, I don't like having multiples of the same model in skirmish games so I used a GW sniper for my 2nd trapper. Also the Convict gunslinger doesn't really fit in with the slim, lean look of the freikorps so I plan on converting a reaper mini with a pig iron head & Malifaux guns to look like an Omar from DE:2.

However until official rules are released it is up to the TO.

I allow conversions and other manufacturers models at all my tournaments - just have to keep it classy.

Wyrd has always been very open with these forums and as a company in general. I'd be dissapointed if they try to be draconian like GW and PP when it comes to letting hobbyists do what most piques their interest.

We're just getting Malifaux started in KFalls. If we get up to the organized play stage, I'm inclined to say that counts-as is fine as long as the model is fully painted and readily identifiable as the intended piece.

An official situation might require a conversion rule that specifies Wyrd only or Wyrd majority figures, but we're out in the boondocks and that's probably never going to happen.

Alleycat, having seen your model.. I would say its a proxy not a conversion.

a nice proxy dont get me wrong. if i where to run a event you would have to use the original CGS and not the proxy.

hmm,having not seen the model referenced above, i can't comment either way....however, if you use an alp as an alp, but your alp has been heavily sculpted over with green stuff, it would be a conversion, not a proxy yes?

I don't really like to go strict on these things. As someone mentioned the main thing is to see what the model is suupposed to be at first glance. I use freebooter's siser of mercy as a nurse, because I prefer that to the original sculpts. Also heresy's frankenstein as flesh construct (converted to have meat-hook) for the same reason. No one ever complained because they look like what they represent. If a tournament organiser tells me I can't use them I just won't go. For me the game is about having fun and if I am forced to play with models I dislike that's no fun.

On the other hand I don't like to play against 'tokens' representing models. Or say an alp representing a daydream. Same size, still 100% wyrd but confusing.

I think there are two main things that can help you decide: common sense and your opponent's view of the game. If some one said He hates playing against proxies I'd say play someone else, otherwise one of us will end up being upset about what is meant to be fun.

Edited by Talishko

Yeah..when Genetic runs something locally,I may just go around and ask opponents if they mind me using it,I will have the original model ready to present and replace if needed but would much rather use the Taranto. Though I do think part of why Genetic says I should use the original is because I haven't finished his base so I still have the original square base on him,and that will be changed in the next couple days lol.

I think it should be fine as long as your doing it for the right reasons. Of you think the model is nice, don't want duplicates or are testing out a model your tempted to buy I have no issues. If your using a goblin to represent a Seisin because you can't be bothered to get a model or paint one then it's more of an issue. If I ever do hamelin, I'm not going to repeat the same rat model 5 times to get my 15 or so rats I'll need.

similarly with my seishin I didn't want to repeat the same model 3 times so I scratch built 2 out of paperclips and greenstuff.

KiraiSeishin.jpg

Edited by Ratty