Malifaux, pro's and con's.

Brence

Being an avid mini's gamer and Roleplayer I was instantly attracted to the characterfull mini's of Malifaux whereas the small scale doesnt drain my Warmachine/Hordes "big tabletop game" budget.

My only concern is that they might require more modelling skill then just a good glue job and mabe some liquid plastic putty to even out small gaps (but that is for another topic).

What I like to know from you guys is what makes you play Malifaux, I mean game mechanics, fluff, mini's. Everything.

Sell me the game ;).

(Allready ordered lots of stuff but just out of curiousity).

Small scale mniature game where every chararacter feels very important even the little guys. The crews play wildly diffrent from each other, even within the same faction. The card/fate system is hell on wheels for players who really don't like those games lost to hot or cold dice. (Only so many good cards and so many bad cards in a turn to be used.)

Minatures although well sculpted arn't that hard to assemble. A LOT of them are single elements or simply 2-3 parts like arms ona body that kind of thing. They even typically fit together very well. So aside from a handful of complicated pieces their really isn't to much need for the green.

The details are on the miniatures making painting them to look pretty decent on the table pretty easy as well.

Biggest down side I see is that all the masters are so freaking intresting and diffrent that you'll find youself buying a lot more Malifaux than you ever intended. I know I have. I started off with just the pandora box + teddy. Now I'm 8 masters in and wanting more.... So yeah its that good.

For me I love the fluff and the models the best. There are a few models that I find to be duds but that is more to personal taste. The models usually go together well and a majority of the models only need a little bit of file work, pinning, and glue.

If you have played other skirmish games in the past then you should find the rules easy to learn. If you just play kill missions you may find this game lacking, Malifaux seems much more enjoyable if you use the strategies and schemes and it is highly suggested that you use them.

Ok here is the fiddle bits of the game, they stem more from personal opinion and is not a big enough deal that it should stop anyone from playing. My biggest thing is Twisting fate, it is a good mechanic that simulates skills and abilities beyond just being number crunchy. My only gripe with it is it seems to be over done at times. My biggest example is against undead you will almost always be at a negative flip for the damage. If you have two undeaders going at it you will really notice this twisting fate isssue. Again not a big deal just something that feels overdone.

My second is not a real problem but a concern, there is getting to be a ton of information on each card.

Good to hear! Looking forward to it :). Me and a friend of mine looked at the mini's and then at eachother, went back to our work desktops and mailed a shopping list an hour or such later :P. I bought The Undertakers Lot and The Hag first thought just for the mini's...Then well...We bought the books to go with it and the decks and well yeh... Looking forward to it allready!

What makes me play Malifaux? EVERYTHING!

I was initially drawn in by the minis. I had a few linked to me on some Mordheim forums and they looked interesting. After seeing a few different minis over the few months leading up to the Malifaux release I decided to look into the actual game.

So, I decided to pick up the rulebook to see if I would like it. Once I read up on how the game worked I was instantly hooked. The mechanics are really unique and very cool. The card aspect drew me in because I always roll terribly and it makes for a more balanced game. The small scale skirmish aspect is a big plus for me as well. I ordered minis within days of getting the book. ;)

Normally, I tend to skip the fluff when reading rulebooks for tabletop games. I find it usually to be boring and/or difficult to follow. I decided to check out a little of the Malifaux fluff after reading the rules since I didn't have minis yet. That's now one of my favorite parts of Malifaux! There are lots of interesting characters AND stories. I love this part enough that I'm going back and re-reading the fluff from book 1 while waiting for book 2 to show up. I have to admit that at first I was a little worried about the mixing of all kinds of genres for the setting, but wow did they do an amazing job of creating an awesome setting. :)

have you played magic the gathering and saw how diferent the decks and the colors work. and now you want a big stompy green, tomorrow a control blue or a white defense, then a black sacrificing creatures, well, that`s malifaux with minis, every master has diferent characteristics, none one game is the same, and then you play another master that you don`t know and you get a lot of surprises so you rethink your strategies etc. add to that strategies and schemes, and you have a bomb of a game, hope i sell it to you, greetings.

Malifaux is a game like any other especially with the insanely different tactics surrounding each faction and master. Some masters (The Guild) play like a traditional war game but others ( Anyone from book two, Ramos, Levi, Zord) play completely different than anything you have every experienced.

There are really two things that Wyrd has done since the beginning; make amazing models and make them amazingly hard to put together.

While this isn't really an issue for me first time modelers that are not familiar (and in some cases skilled) with a pin vice and putty may be up a creek. Models to watch out for are the steamborg, the spiders, the electrical creation, and the two sword viktoria. All of them are awesome models that are difficult to put together.

If you buy something out of your comfort level use your gaming group I'm sure someone there will help you.

-Heretic

I'll add my thoughts since I came out of the WM/H environment. The models do not have any extra assembly issues, if you can put WM/H figures together you are fine here. Also, no need to worry about plastic models with Malifaux.

This truly is a skirmish level game and like others said, all models seem important and have a use. Warmachine was originally billed as a skirmish level game but it has certainly moved away from that. I find I enjoy painting these models much more, I used to get reall bogged down with the 10 member units of almost identical models. I really don't have that issue here.

I like the alternating activations system much better than the WM/H mechanic of one player moving all of their models while the other sits there. The opposed duel mechanic also helps keep me interested when it's not my turn.

The card mechanic, being able to cheat fate and burn soulstones to change my duel totals. It's a very nice mechanic and adds some strategy to the game that I felt was lacking in other games.

The miniatures are very good, I often feel bad because my painting skills do not do the minis justice. All of the Masters have interesting stories and the game feels more story driven, even though PP does have some very good fluff. I also like that if I'm not really into steampunk (which I'm not) I can play a faction and not be required to take those type models. I was primarily a Cryx player in Warmachine and I really prefer the way the Resurrectionists here function over Cryx.

There are really two things that Wyrd has done since the beginning; make amazing models and make them amazingly hard to put together.

While this isn't really an issue for me first time modelers that are not familiar (and in some cases skilled) with a pin vice and putty may be up a creek. Models to watch out for are the steamborg, the spiders, the electrical creation, and the two sword viktoria. All of them are awesome models that are difficult to put together.

If you buy something out of your comfort level use your gaming group I'm sure someone there will help you.

-Heretic

Seems that is something people tend to disagree over, Im not a "pinner" per se, however I never needed. to. Carefull carriage has helped me trough so far :).

And as long as I dont have to fill 'Uge gaps and such I'll hopefully be fine.

Haven't received book2 yet, but to me it seems that it fixes the biggest problem that I had with Malifaux... The encounter system.

The revised core system in Book2 seems much more balanced and the expanded strategies/schemes make for a even wider variety between the casual games.

So as of now I have no real problems with Malifaux, it is the perfect game! XD

But eh..

Pros:

I'm really intrigued by the complexity of the masters and the variety between them and to me this is the biggest strength to the game, models come second and I guess the famous card-mechanic has to go third for me.

Cons:

What I find the biggest strength might keep some people from getting into the game.. The complexity and sheer amount of rules for each and every model can leave newcomers lost in a sea of hopelessness of grasping all the synergies.

(Note that I use might cause I imagine some would think this way, I do not myself)

Seems that is something people tend to disagree over, Im not a "pinner" per se, however I never needed. to. Carefull carriage has helped me trough so far :).

And as long as I dont have to fill 'Uge gaps and such I'll hopefully be fine.

It may vary from miniature to miniature. I do pin some stuff, but I don't know that I've pinned anything for Malifaux. Nothing jumps out at me, so if I have it has been relatively minor and no problem. On miniatures where I've had to attach arms, I've had less trouble than I typically do with PP or Infinity stuff.

The only gap filling I've done I think was on Bad JuJu and the Warpigs, and even that wasn't a lot.

The biggest con with Malifaux (early on, I think it has all been rectified now) is there were initially some rules issues and things were in a state of flux for a while last year. Some local WM/H players that had taken up Malifaux became disgruntled over that. Of course I found that ironic because that was during the Beta Test of Mark II, which was really the fourth try by PP.

Also, no need to worry about plastic models with Malifaux.

1. No plastic models so far. I don't believe they have ruled that out (it'd be silly to).

2. I'm curious to know what "worries" might exist about plastic. Having assembled/painted plastic and pewter minis for something around 15 years, I've never had nor heard of a "worry" about plastic. In fact, GW and PP both are producing some stellar plastic kits now.

Your "main concern" (ie modelling) is a non-issue IMO. If you can manage WM/H models, you can manage these.

What makes me play is part the novelty of the card mechanic but mostly cool minis, fun setting, small scale and largely the schemes/strategies part of the game.

Ehhhhh, I love the models but Sword Mistress Victoria? Candy? Seamus and his bag? These models require a pin vice, tiny bits/pins and a VERY steady hand. It's a regular topic of conversation in our group as to why they choose to make the joins on their minis where they do.

Ehhhhh, I love the models but Sword Mistress Victoria? Candy? Seamus and his bag? These models require a pin vice, tiny bits/pins and a VERY steady hand. It's a regular topic of conversation in our group as to why they choose to make the joins on their minis where they do.

I don't have the Vickis, but I didn't pin Candy's hand or Seamus' bag and they've stayed put through plenty of gaming.

Paradox--I just have an aversion to plastic from my WizKid days. I know plastic moldings have improved, but I still think it works better on larger models and vehicles than it does on human sized models.

It's a regular topic of conversation in our group as to why they choose to make the joins on their minis where they do.

Nathan has mentioned that the Victoria Sword Mistress and a few of the more fiddly sculpts were some of the first Wyrd produced. They've learned a lot since then and may even re-think some of the joins on a number of the earlier sculpts. He specifically mentioned Victoria's wrists, if I recall correctly.

Paradox--I just have an aversion to plastic from my WizKid days. I know plastic moldings have improved, but I still think it works better on larger models and vehicles than it does on human sized models.

It's not only that the general technology has improved, it is that most of your assembly based wargame companies (like Wyrd, PP, GW, etc.) use better technology then the collectable market (like WizKids). I would happily put up a GW plastic mini from the same era as Mage Knight in a quality test.

Many good points above, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Pros: When I play Malifaux, my models feel a bit more resilient on the table. Part of it is the duel/flip mechanic and the ability to cheat fate when you need to. Models like Bishop or Taelor can weather a pretty good beating if they need to. Cheating fate is also double complete rainbow awesome. I know what my "dice rolls" for the turn are roughly going to look like before I even start my turn. Schemes are cool that you dont always have to win by master kill. Lastly, no infantry units = me not painting 10 of the same guy.

Cons: It is kind of a pain how much errata there already is. Awesome models (and low model count) make me need to go crazy trying to go all out with the paint job. December's curse kicked my dog and stole my wallet.

Pros:

1. Character, Character, Character. You crews are always going to be very thematic. Even if you try to build the most affective lists, they aren't gonna feel sterile and clockwork, they're still going to employ a fabulous feel.

2. low investment cost

3. Lots of single cast pieces, easy to assemble

4. The new book affords what feels like unlimited possibilities for scenarios, back stories, strategies

5. Unique universe

6. Fun system for determination. Your "good" and "bad" luck are in set quantities with a card deck. But there is still plenty of ways to adjust your fate.

7. Plenty of crews to build.

8. Tons of synergy between models if you're into that.

9. One of biggest pros: Alternate Unit activation. More of an interconnected and engaged gameplay.

Cons:

1. The game does have a paper-scissors-rock format. Less so with the new scenarios.

2. Crews building is a little restricted. Some models in your faction just won't work or feel right with some masters.

3. Tactics are gonna feel like they're pushed to the back with all the triggers and synergy in the game.

4. Some triggers, spells, buffs/defuffs can stack up to make some lopsided or unbalanced gameplay. Nothing different from Warmachine, but not nearly as over the top.

5. Massive amount of errata and misprints in the books.

6. Poor casting quality. I spend the most amount of time cleaning these figs compared to most other games. Often time the cast looks as if the mold slipped. But I spend a lot of time on the hobby aspect.

Possible Con:

I'm an avid Infinity player, so that game sets the bar for tactics. If you're looking for solid tactics, this game will fall short, but still a bit above most other fantasy skirmish games, simply because the model count is low so you're not packing a bunch of models into a small area to benefit from each others' buffs and you're definitely not restricted to keep all your models centered around a caster.

Possible subjective Pro (and the initial reason I got into the game):

......zombie hookers. 'Nuff said.

Edited by Magno

For me the biggest pro was the low model count. 5 to 7 mini's and I have everything I need to play.

Also the rules are a very nice change. No more luck of the dice, I can count on at least some good cards coming out, and cheat fate when I really need to win a fight.

I also like the fact that moves are alternating, instead of I move everything, attack, upkeep, then you go.

One of the con's IMO is not being able to pre-measure. I think this is a silly rule that's never made any sense to me.

My opinions (mileage may vary)

Pros

1. The Miniatures (Low investment cost, the sheer variety, thematic)

2. The Rules (A card based system that works!)

3. The Fluff (is one of the few games where it just all fits)

4. The Humor (Wyrd is not afraid to poke fun)

Cons

1. The Errata. Which Errata is the right one? The official? the extra? Even if they don't want to release V2 of the rulebook (and I don't blame for not wanting too) the lack of a solid Errata is (again IMO) the single biggest flaw that Malifaux has)

2. Lack of an index in the rulebook.

3. The way the rules are spread out in the rulebook.

4. Some of the minis are 'fidly', and I've been gaming for a while. (on a par with the old PP Satyyxis)

all that said do I think the Pros outweigh the Cons? Yes, without a doubt. Will I keep asking questions and work on getting things clarified? Yes, because I like the game that much.

-Patrick

Do I get a bit pedantic? Yes. Try being an Instructor for 5 years and not be...