Steampunk Abomination Change

HandsomeDan

I did a search and I couldn't find anything about this. I just got my Steampunk Abominations last night, and looking at the card the Keep Pace rule reads: When a friendly Steampunk Abomination in base contact with this model takes the Walk action, Push this model into base contact with the Steampunk Abomination at the end of the move.

Now with my Malifaux rule book lent to a friend on a road trip, I can't be 100% but hasn't the phrase Steampunk Abomination replaced the word construct in a very critical way? I'm pretty sure a lot of Leveticus players bring along a hooded rider or steamborg just so their abominations can tag along up the board with it at super speed. Unless I'm utterly wrong this change is going to be a big deal to a lot of people.

If I'm late to the party and this has already been discussed to death then sorry. Haven't visited these forums in a bit.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a search and I couldn't find anything about this. I just got my Steampunk Abominations last night, and looking at the card the Keep Pace rule reads: When a friendly Steampunk Abomination in base contact with this model takes the Walk action, Push this model into base contact with the Steampunk Abomination at the end of the move.

Now with my Malifaux rule book lent to a friend on a road trip, I can't be 100% but hasn't the phrase Steampunk Abomination replaced the word construct in a very critical way? I'm pretty sure a lot of Leveticus players bring along a hooded rider or steamborg just so their abominations can tag along up the board with it at super speed. Unless I'm utterly wrong this change is going to be a big deal to a lot of people.

If I'm late to the party and this has already been discussed to death then sorry. Haven't visited these forums in a bit.

WOW! That makes me happy if it's correct.

Wow and ick at the same time.... that means you can't easily bring reserves up with your desolation Engine. ><

Though for the best though, no more clinging to the rider and yelling "HI HO SILVER, AWAY!".

Yeah they can still make it way up the board, the classic strategy is the 4 man rotation for helping them get up field and it still works fine. Then at the end you summon the Desolation Engine and everything is pie.

I would just like to say that:

a.) This errata seems fair enough, no complaints here as I've only ever dragged SPA's with other SPA's anyway. ;)

b.) It's starting to p**s me off a bit now, all this "secret" errata that is floating around and not making it into the errata PDF or the "extra errata" thread in the rules forum. Can we please have updated rules ASAP, without having to learn about them on a card or a off-hand comment by a Marshal.

AFAIK there are still outstanding bits of errata for Leveticus that was mentioned, well, months ago now, which still haven't surfaced!! :(

Seconded. I just started Levi, and if I wasn't bored as hell at work I'd have had no idea this had happened! lol

Also, since I have to special order everything through my LGS as they don't carry stock, its a bit annoying to have to decide what to purchase with no guarantee what the rules actually are.

Basically, update your errata and you will sell more models! :D

a.) This errata seems fair enough, no complaints here as I've only ever dragged SPA's with other SPA's anyway. ;)

b.) It's starting to p**s me off a bit now, all this "secret" errata that is floating around and not making it into the errata PDF or the "extra errata" thread in the rules forum. Can we please have updated rules ASAP, without having to learn about them on a card or a off-hand comment by a Marshal.

AFAIK there are still outstanding bits of errata for Leveticus that was mentioned, well, months ago now, which still haven't surfaced!! :(

agreed. Why aren't all these changes out yet. Especially the one where Levi isn't slow anymore.

I have no problem with the SPA change (hodded rider draging them 12" before one moves was a little sick.) but I want to know this sooner rather than when I buy the model.

AntiZombie: I couldn't find this wording anywhere. It was not in the Official Errata nor Extra Errata Items. Can you point me where it is?

Still, even if it was worded to summon, he would not be Slow on his next activation. Summoned units are Slow only if they activate during the turn they are summoned. Since Leveticus will never have a chance to activate during the same turn after being summoned, he will never suffer Slow from summon.

It goes like this:

1. Leveticus has been killed before the Closing Phase.

2. Closing Phase: Leveticus is Summoned and receives Slow for his activation this turn.

3. Turn ends after the End Closing Phase.

4. Leveticus activates next turn. He was not summoned during this turn (he was summoned during the Closing Phase last turn) so does not suffer Slow.

At least that's how I've always understood it.

-Ropetus

When a model receives Slow outside its own activation it is always pushed to the next time the model activates.. You can't avoid it. Unless you are already slow, receives fast or have some dispel effect cast on you.

So generally unavoidable for Leveticus as he needs to kill himself often.

Anyway, as far as I recall, WS said that 'summon' would be changed to 'place'.

He never gave the exact wording and only mentioned it would be changed in the future.

We still do not know if it's placed in base contact or placed within 6"..

For the time being I think we should keep playing as we have thus far.

When a model receives Slow outside its own activation it is always pushed to the next time the model activates.. You can't avoid it.

Yes. That is true if you receive Slow for some other effect. However, not for summoning:

"A summoned model may activate during the turn it was summoned but receives Slow FOR THAT TURN. AFTER THAT TURN, the summoned model has full capabilities."

You only receive Slow if you activate during the same turn you are summoned. Think of it like this for models summoned during the Activation Phase:

1. Model X is summoned.

2. Model X begins activation.

3. Model X was summoned this turn so it receives Slow.

And for Leveticus:

1. Leveticus is summoned.

2. Turn ends after End Closing Phase.

3. Leveticus begins activation.

4. Leveticus was not summoned this turn so activates normally.

When a model is summoned, it doesn't receive Slow until it starts activating during the same turn. Receiving Slow is not triggered for being summoned, but for activating the same turn as being summoned. You should check the rulebook, it's all there.

-Ropetus

When a model is gains slow, it carries over to the model's next activation. Since the model was brought in during the closing phase (and unable to activate that turn) he would be slow when he next activates.

Book, Pg 46

(-1) Slow: The model forfeits 1 general AP

during its current or next activation,

whichever comes first.

I know how Slow functions.

I want to know what significance the part I quoted about summoning has. It states models receive Slow when they activate during the same turn they are summoned. Leveticus does not activate the same turn he is summoned, therefore he never receives Slow from doing so. Have I understood something wrong here?

-Ropetus

Agreed 100%. Wyrd did a very good job for a while with keeping all the errata in one place but its time to re-consolidate. Sneak errata's like this are VERY VERY BAD. I would never have noticed probably unless for some reason I needed to look at the exact text of the ability again as I had it memorized. So please, consolidate the errata and all the various updates please! Its best for the game and easier on the players.

No Levi would not activate again because he is summoned after the activation phase. Models only resolve effects during the closing phase I'm as sure as I can be without being a Marshall that they cannot activate during that phase

Yes, but is "summoned Slow" identical to plain ol' regular Slow? When a model is summoned and is Slow, does the -1 AP carry over to the next activation if the model does not activate (as is the case with Leve), or does it end when the turn ends (as seems to be indicated by the text) regardless of whether or not the summoned model has activated?

I still have not found where it is stated that Leveticus is placed instead of summoned.

It would carry over

Why? The quote from the summoning rules specifically states Slow only applies if the model activates during the turn it is summoned. Leveticus does not activate during the turn he is summoned, so he avoids being Slow. Anyone find a flaw in my logic?

-Ropetus