Types of Paint

Blank

My friends and I use Formula P3. The paint and brushes are actually theirs so I'm looking into buying my own.:hmmmm:

But I was just wondering what type of paint do you all use? I've heard there are a wide range of them out there so I'm just curious. I know there are some good for washing, some good for drybrushing, and some good for just plain base coats.

What do you prefer?

Well I used GW Foundation paints and washes as well as Vellajo paints and washes and washes that I have made myself. I would recommend trying some different brands and find out what works best for you. Vellajo is what I use mostly and I feel that for the price they are the best ones out there. Massive color selection and the dropper bottle combined with great prices works best for me.

Good luck to you and I hope to see your crews soon.

I use Vellajo, this is partly due to the fact that I started painting flames of war as my first miniture game I got into. I like Vellajo alot, the colors are sometimes a bit thick but adding water to them fixes that right up.

I cant say that i ever had a problum with Vellajo paints and since i started with them I never really got into the others. I have some GW paints (3 or 4 but I liked my Vellajo more.

As for washes I make my own future wash using 1 part Future floor wax 2 parts water and enough black inda in to be my color of choice, I also use other color inks but i mainly ink with black.

-I hope this helps,

Andrew

Another voice in support of Vallejo paints.

I used Citadel paints for quite a long time as they are the easiest to come by in the area, but Vallejo not only produces paints which range from comparable to much better, but also series of additives (glazing mediums, matte mediums, retarders etc.) which ease the entry into more advanced painting techniques considerably.

I still use Citadel foundation paints and Washes though - both speed up the more boring painting tasks.

A lot of people using the "gaming" paints here!

I started painting with Citadel and later GW (I still have some wet Citadel paints 10+ years old, but the GW replacements are pretty much all dried up now), and haven't played with any of the other gaming varieties (although I love the bottles with the droppers on!), but recently discovered that I can use artists acrylic paints instead. This is especially handy since it saves buying a lot of paint that dries up within a year (ahem, GW) and gives better value - letting me spend more on miniatures!

Coverage is good, although it can take a bit more time to get the flow right on some colours (water + flow improver helps), and I can get them in really really big pots.

Paint tubes like this are about £2 / 75ml. Contrast this with the Vallejo 17ml bottles at £1.30, or the GW 12ml (!) bottles at £2. Even the W&N artist acrylics are only £2.40 / 60ml!

I do spend a lot of time mixing up colours for just-the-right-brown and dagnamnit-i-wish-i-had-more-flesh-tone-variety, but with most of the Malifaux miniatures being uniques, I'm not worried about trying to create a massively consistent army, so having each one truly one off it nice.

Washes are colour + water + flow improver (usually + black, too), and some careful application. Probably the oldschool way to do things, I haven't kept up with the kids on basing and washing ...

Anyone else found other non-gaming paints to work with?

Sorry for the ramble, first post here - got excited :)

- Piete.

A lot of people using the "gaming" paints here!

I started painting with Citadel and later GW (I still have some wet Citadel paints 10+ years old, but the GW replacements are pretty much all dried up now), and haven't played with any of the other gaming varieties (although I love the bottles with the droppers on!), but recently discovered that I can use artists acrylic paints instead. This is especially handy since it saves buying a lot of paint that dries up within a year (ahem, GW) and gives better value - letting me spend more on miniatures!

Coverage is good, although it can take a bit more time to get the flow right on some colours (water + flow improver helps), and I can get them in really really big pots.

Paint tubes like this are about £2 / 75ml. Contrast this with the Vallejo 17ml bottles at £1.30, or the GW 12ml (!) bottles at £2. Even the W&N artist acrylics are only £2.40 / 60ml!

I do spend a lot of time mixing up colours for just-the-right-brown and dagnamnit-i-wish-i-had-more-flesh-tone-variety, but with most of the Malifaux miniatures being uniques, I'm not worried about trying to create a massively consistent army, so having each one truly one off it nice.

Washes are colour + water + flow improver (usually + black, too), and some careful application. Probably the oldschool way to do things, I haven't kept up with the kids on basing and washing ...

Anyone else found other non-gaming paints to work with?

Sorry for the ramble, first post here - got excited :)

- Piete.

I also like to use artist acrylics on some projects, the only issue with them is that most "gaming paints" have the pigment ground finer than what you will find with other paints.

For scenery I like to use craft paint, it's cheaper and can be mixed to match most anything.

For paint I mainly use GW (that's what the LGS carries) thinned with a recipe I found on Painting Clinic (get a gallon of distilled water, pour out one cup, replace water you poured out with Future Acrylic (now called Pledge with Future Shine)). The thinning I do using an eye dropper because a little goes a long way and too much will cause your pigment to seperate (you will see the pigment go down as a ring).

For brushes I use Da Vinci Maestro Retouch.

Just speaking from completely the other side of the coin. Malifaux is really my first mini's game, and to be honest I dont have a lot of money to spend on paint. I end up using Apple Barrel paints. They are about 50 cents a 3 oz bottle, so i can get plenty of paint for 5 bucks. The coverage is not bad, and I am happy with the end results. At some point I will post my Pandora crew so you can judge for yourself. I will probably move into some Reaper flesh tones. I was told by a a good friend that since the face is one of the first things you look at when inspecting a mini, that spending the extra on flesh paints is the best way to start. As i get more into painting, I am sure I will move into better painting/brushes. But for anyone just starting out it is inexpensive for good coverage.

I really does kill my serious painting friends seeing me use that paint.....lol

I like p3s best currently though I use a range of paints, generally if i run out of something I replace it with a p3. There are some great vallejo colours over their 2 hobby ranges (game and model colour) and the dropper bottles are great for mixing.

Personally I think GW paints are fairly mediocre, and their pots are terrible.

Sleeper00 - I have had some problems when washing or sealing after using Apple Barrel, other big bottle craft paints. The paint tends to wash off easily when brushing on varnish, same is true for washes or hilighting. It seems to adhere better to metal than plastic, which means your models will look much better than those Blood Angels that had me so disheartened.

Unless you're getting the paint dirt cheap, I'd go with Vallejo, GW, Reaper, or P3.

If you're looking to save TONS of money, most craft stores sell tiny flip top paints connected in a row. You know, like paint-by-numbers. I've also seen sets of these in pastel colors and metallics.

I've never used it, but have always wanted to know if it would work.

@sleeper00 - I absolutely agree that its a very cheap way to start, and it gets you painted minis. You'll notice as you get more advanced though that the pigment in "gaming" paints is much more finely ground, so (in the future) if you compare a mini you did a few years back with what you're doing currently, you'll see it look a bit fuzzy (for lack of a better term). I'd show a picture, but I've already stripped those minis and repainted them...

I use a bit of everything, but my main lines are the GW foundation paints, vallejo, and reaper master series. I love the foundation coverage, but prefer the dropper bottles for longevity of paint and ease of use/mixing/etc.

I've also tested out the army painter line (colored primer + dipping) - works good for large armies, not so good for skirmish games like Malifaux :)

I use GW paints (including foundation paints). I use the P3 washes and Winsor and Newton brushes...I agree with Piete, the older paints I have are still in great shape, but the new ones (especially the foundation paints, which are a little thicker) dry to clay-like clumps if they're not used for a week. It's a shame they're so expensive.