Malifaux Setting

gerzel

Hi.

I might be a bit odd but the reason I picked up Malifaux was because its setting seems thought out, unique and interesting.

That said I am a little apprehensive about where it might go, given the track record for mini-strategy games to go the "and then it got worse" route with the setting and metaplot there just to connect battles.

Malifaux seems like a world where I would like to roleplay in and explore; it has a lot of potential and possibilities and the rule book's engaging short fiction pulls the reader in while seeming to only scratch the surface. Going from the rule book I'm assuming that there will be an overarching metaplot, like that of Deadlands and other games, and that things will develop in future supplements.

My first question is if there will be an Roleplayign supplement coming? Is it something that has been thought of?

I'd think it would be especially cool if this hypothetical supplement would include rules, or even a direct means of putting a character the Player creates directly on the field. Though obviously it couldn't be used for normal strategic play for balance reasons.

Also are there any hints on how far out the next official updates to the setting will be?

As far as I know, book 2 will be out sometime soon. On the left hand side (your left) there are the Chronicles 1-3. I would suggest that you read them all, they are very good.

I have heard rumors of an RPG, but have not seen any hard facts about one.

I would not worry about the fluff being used to connect one battle to another. This is not your typical miniatures game. Just the rule book itself leads you away from that path. also the Chronicles have stories that have nothing to do with any battles.

BTW, welcome to Wyrd!

Look to the left sidebar. They are under the bar that says Malifaux Matters.

Downloadable as PDFs so you can print them if you want.

Here are the links if you can't see the sidebar just in case:

http://wyrd-games.net/Ezine/Wyrd%20Chronicles%20v1.pdf

http://www.wyrd-games.net/Ezine/Wyrd%20Chronicles%20v2.pdf

http://www.wyrd-games.net/Ezine/Wyrd%20Chronicles%20v3.pdf

Hi.

I might be a bit odd but the reason I picked up Malifaux was because its setting seems thought out, unique and interesting.

That said I am a little apprehensive about where it might go, given the track record for mini-strategy games to go the "and then it got worse" route with the setting and metaplot there just to connect battles.

I think Malifaux should be a doorway to an evil, inverted dimension occupied by goateed ******.

Edited by goblyn13
bypassing filters is wrong

There have been strong strong hints that an RPG will follow at some point. Eric even posted about Malifaux :The RPG so whilst I have no inside knowledge I would say this is almost a certainty.

Haven't heard anything about a character creation system, given that it has come up before and Wyrd's record of listening to the players I wouldn't put it past them. Heck, I wouldn't be overly surprised if it was a feature of Book 2.

There have been strong strong hints that an RPG will follow at some point. Eric even posted about Malifaux :The RPG so whilst I have no inside knowledge I would say this is almost a certainty.

Yeah, I'm hoping Eric's "hints" will come together into a published RPG... Maybe after book 2. :)

I hope that any RPG, if created, involves new staff :-P

I first and foremost play Malifaux as a minis game. I don't want creative energies flowing to the RPG when I can just say "Hey guys, we're going to play in the Malifaux world using the __________ system." Sure, I'd use whatever they came up with there, but so far all we have is Book 1 and hints of things to come -- including errata 2.0. I don't feel any reason to rush an RPG.

I wouldn't go the route of Cthulhu personally. I think Castle Falkenstein might well be a better choice as the card mechanic is already internal. It also already has the steampunk, magic and weird west integral into the game.

In fact.... that's what I'm doing in order to create a couple of one shot games with a possibility of moving into a campaign.

If you are wanting a malifaux ish RPG havea look at the Cuthulu RPG game It has the gothic horror you just need to adds the steampunk wetern to it :guns:

I would say old school deadlands would be a better fit, it already uses some playing cards, but I still don't think that would curb theses peoples appetites.

Deadlands sounds like it might be a decent fit, too? Even has a poker-based magic system, if I recall.

I would say old school deadlands would be a better fit, it already uses some playing cards, but I still don't think that would curb theses peoples appetites.

What I said! But yeah, it would only go part of the way to covering everything Malifaux offers.

I went for cuthulu due to the insanity Im thinking players would be new comers to malifaux and they slowly lose their sanity till they fit in with the locals :nurse:.

I believe that the dice rolls are a d10 system ( not played for lots of years ). It should easy enough to mod that over to a D13 ( playing cards) system

I think in order to preserve the flavors of Malifaux we'd be best served to just tweak the system already used for the skirmish game to fit an rpg.

In fact, it's what I'm doing now. Admittedly, that's a personal preference issue. I think that rolling dice would just feel awkward after playing Malifaux: Skirmish so much.

Edited by Ciaran

I went for cuthulu due to the insanity Im thinking players would be new comers to malifaux and they slowly lose their sanity till they fit in with the locals :nurse:.

I believe that the dice rolls are a d10 system ( not played for lots of years ). It should easy enough to mod that over to a D13 ( playing cards) system

And black + red joker for a crit + critical failure

I think in order to preserve the flavors of Malifaux we'd be best served to just tweak the system already used for the skirmish game to fit an rpg.

In fact, it's what I'm doing now. Admittedly, that's a personal preference issue. I think that rolling dice would just feel awkward after playing Malifaux: Skirmish so much.

this is probably my favorite idea so for :)

WarHammer Fantasy used to have a conversion for WarHammer Fantasy RolePlay. It added stats for the RPG based on the statline for each creature. That's what I'm working on.

Admittedly, I'm not doing "straight" Malifaux, but a hybrid with the same themes. I just don't want to mess with the world the way I would want to.... If that makes ANY sense.

As I get stuff figured out I'd be happy to share it.

I'm not bothered about a table-top RPG, but a computer RPG made by Bethesda would be AWSOME!

Also comics.

wow that would be great.... so come on then lets get the IP sorted out and we just have to wait for them to finish the starwars MMORPG and we are good to go. I say 5 years to get it done and well worth the wait. :lollypop:

..... PS can i get the hot aussy bird from chuck that was also in mass affect2 be one of my Undead hookers ?

I would like to see the RPG diceless.

QFT. If it's not diceless, it's not worth doing.

I might rather see something like what Privateer did with IK. Put out a whole volume of just backstory and fluff, then a separate rules book. Great marketing strategy too; I know lots of WM players who bought the World Guide, but never played D20.

QFT. If it's not diceless, it's not worth doing.

I might rather see something like what Privateer did with IK. Put out a whole volume of just backstory and fluff, then a separate rules book. Great marketing strategy too; I know lots of WM players who bought the World Guide, but never played D20.

by far one of the best options...

I can't count the number of games I wish followed the "World Guide" from the IK game...

really, game mechanics are a moot point. trying to force someone into a set mechanic system is troublesome,

but if they like the setting, and it gives general guidelines of what the world's like, they can fit it to whatever system the feel like using.