Malifaux RPG a possibility?

Indeed.

RPGs really tend to be two things: system and setting. The reason people want an RPG is because they love the world already, so they already have a good idea of the setting. The Malifaux book provides plenty of fiction and Book 2 I'm sure will provide more. It's not a far stretch to add some of your own from there.

As far as system goes, you can really use any variety of systems out there. As HPSoundwave says, you can use Deadlands. You can use d20. Whatever you know will probably work for Malifaux with a few tweaks.

I'm positive that Wyrd could put out a worthwhile book to buy: fiction, extra fluff, and its own system. However, until that time, it's really not too difficult to play in the world with what we already have on hand. A couple of conversions here and there and you're good to go.

The most important thing to me is that Wyrd focuses on what the game already is and making that the best game it can be (which I know they're already doing). While an RPG would be great, it's just not why I play this game. Adding an RPG doesn't hurt that, but if it drains the creative muscles, then it actually could. I'm happier seeing new models and new rules than I will be seeing an RPG.

Anyway, Wyrd has dropped a lot of ifs on this, and that makes me happy. They aren't ruling it out and we might see it one day, but in the mean time, get us errata 2.0 and Book 2! :)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty they could license out the property to another party. Now I realize I may be using the wrong legaleze here so bear with me. Games workshop currently contracts out Flights of Fantasy I believe to print their roleplaying games. GW makes a profit based on the licensing of their intellectual property and flights of fantasy makes a profit and everybody is happy.

Now I realize I mentioned the evil empire and I will probly have my head chopped off al queda style for doing so but it was an example of what they could do.

Now the old deadlands system not the current d20 version I do not think is actually owned by anyone so they could honestly just contract out a publisher to take the deadlands ruleset and the mallifaux background and make an RPG book or 50. Which of course can allow for some crazy things like conversions of systems. taking the characters you made and for homebrew games importing them into the minis game.

Now if say a game like this is done with a whole bunch of mallifaux players and everyone has a crew. You make one crew the PC's or each PC is responsible for getting one mini to make up their crew. Then the GM could be like "hey everyone bring your minis to the game, because when we do combat we will actually be playing a game of mallifaux with all of you Vs me the GM and I may need Resurectionists, arcanists, or what have you each week.

Now my idea can also be for you own home brew things. In all honesty the system doesn't really need a tabletop roleplaying game simply because you have so many options. Deadlands, Whitewolf, D20, Tri Stat, Shadowrun, Percentile, Palladium, thereare even d12 systems out there.

They do, and they are re-releasing it as such.

That said, I'm sure Savage Worlds could be adapted neatly to run a Malifaux-themed game with minimal tweaking.

It could, but it's also not a system that gets much love. If they were to third party license it, you would think they'd want to do so with a more popular system.

But as PP learned with the IK setting, you're then at the mercy of that system. Doing a proprietary system makes more sense for creative control.

A proprietary system makes even more sense when the system supports the setting so well, as it does in Malifaux. I will still maintain that a modification of Malifaux: Table Top would be the best way to keep the flavor, tension and spirit of the work.

only actually having the book in my hands for a few days, and absorbing my self in the rulebook for that short time the first thought i had after looking at my faction was "geez would be a cool RPG" seconded by "i could use Savage Worlds" followed by "or even Fuzion" those thoughts aside i really think that maybe a campaign style supplement that allows you to raise your own crew and build masters, minions etc etc would be good. a "create your own campaign" this would keep the game as is intact and give the die hard dice chuckers some RPG love.

i just hope that Wyrd/Malifaux stays around and gives me plenty of opportunities to corrupt and convert the tragic "evil empire" fans

nuff said

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that the Malifaux setting is the most interesting setting I've seen in ANY game for quite a while. It's one of the things that's drawn me to the game so much.

As for a Malifaux RPG (or Malifaux: RPG) I'm not sure. I have a lot of trouble getting into PnP games for whatever reason. I certainly wouldn't be against it.

What I'd REALLY like to see would be something in between. A campaign system for Malifaux that includes rules for "leveling up" your characters between battles. Personally, this is my idea of the ultimate game type. Neither pure tabletop battle nor pure PnP RPG... something in between with the best of both worlds.

I have to say that the Malifaux setting is the most interesting setting I've seen in ANY game for quite a while. It's one of the things that's drawn me to the game so much.

As for a Malifaux RPG (or Malifaux: RPG) I'm not sure. I have a lot of trouble getting into PnP games for whatever reason. I certainly wouldn't be against it.

What I'd REALLY like to see would be something in between. A campaign system for Malifaux that includes rules for "leveling up" your characters between battles. Personally, this is my idea of the ultimate game type. Neither pure tabletop battle nor pure PnP RPG... something in between with the best of both worlds.

Oh absolutely. And on top of that, tournaments where the outcome influences the story, ala Doomtown, L5R, Warhammer, etc.

I'm using the Savage Worlds system, but MOST of the mechanics I'm lifting straight from the Malifaux system. Ie: cards instead of dice. Point based skill and stat system. I'll keep people updated with how it's going. But I do have a rather important question: Where is the Breach located? On this side that is. I THINK its england, but I want to be sure.

What I'm wondering is how you'd be able to decide what your character's powers/abilities would be. Also, would your character be a master, henchman or minion? The characters in Malifaux, apart from a few "packs', are very unique and have very different, very special abilities and no real distinction between "classes" that a lot of the RPGs out there have.

Maybe something freeform somewhat like Shadowrun or Mutants and Masterminds when it comes to character creation?

Actually, M&M has something called hero points, which could easily be converted into soulstones. They even function somewhat the same. use them to re-flip instead of reroll, or whatever, and you're good.

Gurps is really adjustable, same with Rifts. It's easy to just make stuff up as you go along, it's more story-based than crunch based, which is good, because the classes are deliberately unbalanced.

you're all 3! You start off a grunt, maybe a special grunt, but still a disposable grunt. you earn power and prestige and freedom as you go, becoming a trusted luietenant or independent operator, and finally running a gang or operation yourself.

We use soulstones as items, artifacts to be found and stolen and fought over. They give you a variety of effects in-game.

What I'm wondering is how you'd be able to decide what your character's powers/abilities would be. Also, would your character be a master, henchman or minion? The characters in Malifaux, apart from a few "packs', are very unique and have very different, very special abilities and no real distinction between "classes" that a lot of the RPGs out there have.

Maybe something freeform somewhat like Shadowrun or Mutants and Masterminds when it comes to character creation?

Actually, M&M has something called hero points, which could easily be converted into soulstones. They even function somewhat the same. use them to re-flip instead of reroll, or whatever, and you're good.

I would like you to start as a minion, they move up to a henchman, then a master, possibly get a totem (and what could be the last part an Avatar since we don't actualy know what they are yet, it's unlikly at the moment)

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

I personally think that a proprietary system that runs like the miniatures game would be the best solution to making a Malifaux RPG as opposed to running it using any currently existing RPG system.

The main idea I had was how to run the "Fate" system, and the best solution I came up with was as follows.

Shuffle your entire deck and draw a fresh hand of 5-7 cards (Possibly stat dependent) at the start of the game session, at the start of every new 'Day' in the game, and at the start of any combat encounter.

Run through your deck as normal for duels, cheating fate when you need to.

If you need to refresh your hand during play (Especially during combat) the character must take a "(All) Refresh" action to discard as many cards from his hand as he likes and draws up to his hand limit.

Soulstone may be used to enhance starting totals as in Malifaux, but an additional 'Fate' stat would allow players to enhance a roll without discharging soul stones 1-3 times per game session. Think of it like a Soulstone Cache.

I'm just brainstorming here...partly because I've been trying to jury-rig a system to run Malifaux in for my friends, and because this thread exists.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

I personally think that a proprietary system that runs like the miniatures game would be the best solution to making a Malifaux RPG as opposed to running it using any currently existing RPG system.

The main idea I had was how to run the "Fate" system, and the best solution I came up with was as follows.

Shuffle your entire deck and draw a fresh hand of 5-7 cards (Possibly stat dependent) at the start of the game session, at the start of every new 'Day' in the game, and at the start of any combat encounter.

Run through your deck as normal for duels, cheating fate when you need to.

If you need to refresh your hand during play (Especially during combat) the character must take a "(All) Refresh" action to discard as many cards from his hand as he likes and draws up to his hand limit.

Soulstone may be used to enhance starting totals as in Malifaux, but an additional 'Fate' stat would allow players to enhance a roll without discharging soul stones 1-3 times per game session. Think of it like a Soulstone Cache.

I'm just brainstorming here...partly because I've been trying to jury-rig a system to run Malifaux in for my friends, and because this thread exists.

I don't know that sounds awfully simple....can you word it to be 300 pages long and then further break it down into 50 books?

We ended up using a modified version of the "aspect points" from Spirit of the Century as Fate Points... essentially, the DM can use them to screw you over, or entice you into doing what he wants, and you can spend them to help yourself or mess with the game.

Everyone starts with 10 points, let's say.

If the DM wants my Mage-type to do something stupid, like touch the obviously-trapped magical object, he could offer me some Points to do it, being as that's something my Mage, being obsessive about gaining magical power, would do. If I refuse, I have to pay the Dm a certain amount of points to refuse, but if I agree, I gain that many points.

Later in the game, I'm in a tough fight, and I want to twist the world. I decide that it's plausible that a magical Ley-line just happens to run right across the very spot I'm standing, and can enhance my power as long as I'm in the area. I'd have to offer the DM a reasonable amount of points to make it happen.

Seems to work pretty well. :-) Lets you choose your fate... Amass power at the cost of luck, or spend all your resources for good fortune now?