Marked cards problem

Astray

I'm not sure who to contact so I figured I'd post it up here.

I bought a pack of Malifaux cards this week and when I checked them all I found 1 of them has a clear mark on the back. I'm not sure if this would count as defective but it makes the deck unplayable because I can predict what card is on top if the marked card is on top.

What is my best course of action to getting a replacement set or replacement card?

markedcard.jpg

You can see the white mark in the picture.

I beat the crap out of my cards and they have all kinds of marks. Thing is....if I memorized that it would be cheating! I never look at the things unless they are being played.

But that's you. I'm a CCG player and I notice the slightest mark because it could cost me games at tournaments, I can't ignore this square, it's way too obvous.

If marked cards is an issue, you could always get some coloured card sleeves to put your cards in - The sort that's opaque on one side so any marks on your deck won't be noticed.

It also keeps them nice and pretty. :D

I saw some pink card sleeves at k-mart the other day. I was going to buy them until I realised they were only 50 per pack, and only one pink one was available. :(

At some point I'll get two, so that I can protect both the deck and my crew cards. ;)

It's easy.

Pen/Marker more than likely, won't match the black of the card back. And depending on how the light hits it, it can easily be identified.

The card is glossy and the square is missing the glossy finish, so getting the exact match would be far more difficult than a replacement card (as is being sent after contacting Wyrd).

I do plan to sleeve the deck, but light sleeves will still show the mark through.

Rathnard : I used to use pink sleeves for Magic. People are really put off by it and it's funny. They always ask you why and then spend half the game wondering what sort of crazy you are to be using pink sleeves. My deck is going to end up in pink or yellow sleeves, I haven't decided which yet.

How would this be handled at an official event?

I'm no CCG player and neither is any of our group, so we would not be paying that much attention to our decks while playing.

But I would hate to go to a Wyrd event and be booted for a mark on a card. As my deck came with several. :(

How would this be handled at an official event?

I'm no CCG player and neither is any of our group, so we would not be paying that much attention to our decks while playing.

But I would hate to go to a Wyrd event and be booted for a mark on a card. As my deck came with several. :(

There aren't any rules for 'Official' events yet.

I can say with certainty that this subject is one of the concerns.

Supplied decks per table, maybe? Wouldn't mind being able to pick up a decent amount of 'tourney backed'* decks (at a reduction <crosses fingers>) when we run one here.

* as in a specific back design / colour only used in tourneys so as nothing can be added to them from standard decks.

If you can count cards it will help. Not that there aren't a lot of legal in game effects that do just this thing but those are intended and cost you flips and sometimes soulstones. Cheating just ruins friendships.

Now I do count cards in my deck and my opponents each round but there's only so much one can do with that. It's more of a probability count than anything. Sort of like holding the black joker the whole game just so that you never see it in a flip.

I always wondered about people stacking the deck with multiple high cards, I mean how would you ever know unless you were paying attention...? have to be a real loser to do that though.

If it's a tournament then random deck checks, every round 1 table randomly gets pulled aside and has their entire deck laid out to check it's legit. You don't have to catch any one because the fear of being caught is enough to stop most people.

Plus each shuffle should be completely random, so sooner or later they will pull a double and get caught.

Supplied decks per table, maybe? Wouldn't mind being able to pick up a decent amount of 'tourney backed'* decks (at a reduction <crosses fingers>) when we run one here.

* as in a specific back design / colour only used in tourneys so as nothing can be added to them from standard decks.

Doesn't work unless each tourney has it's own custom tourney deck. The cost would be insane either way.

If you can count cards it will help. Not that there aren't a lot of legal in game effects that do just this thing but those are intended and cost you flips and sometimes soulstones. Cheating just ruins friendships.

Now I do count cards in my deck and my opponents each round but there's only so much one can do with that. It's more of a probability count than anything. Sort of like holding the black joker the whole game just so that you never see it in a flip.

Counting cards doesn't help you in Malifaux unless you have some bizarre situation where you have flipped every possible sucessful card. Counting cards doesn't help you figure out whats in your opponent's hand nor what is on the top of their deck, it's just not going to matter other than feeling more in control.

Has anyone tried to play with a marked deck to see if it would help?

I'm not sure how helpful it would be myself. Other than deciding if you want to use a soulstone or not.

It would help because you could predict what your next flip will be. If I know I need a good flip to finish something off but have a bad card on top I'm not going to do that first, I'll burn the flip on something unimportant and then use the next card if it's what I need.

If it's a tournament then random deck checks, every round 1 table randomly gets pulled aside and has their entire deck laid out to check it's legit. You don't have to catch any one because the fear of being caught is enough to stop most people.

Plus each shuffle should be completely random, so sooner or later they will pull a double and get caught.

Isn't it like trying to force already opened doors?! The card tournaments provide fresh & sealed decks for every game - the Malifaux Decks are not prohibitively expensive and I'm sure if tournaments ordered large quantities, there could be some discount - easy to cover with entry fee.

On the top of that it gives an unparalleled chance at doing something no other wargamming company does - a tournament specific decks! Players get to take them home to play with and as a souvenir. If each bigger tournament has a unique design, soon any active Malifaux player will have collection of decks to choose from. ^^

Counting cards doesn't help you in Malifaux unless you have some bizarre situation where you have flipped every possible sucessful card. Counting cards doesn't help you figure out whats in your opponent's hand nor what is on the top of their deck, it's just not going to matter other than feeling more in control.

I dissagree completely. Knowing the odds of flipping a card with a given result based on what's in your hand and what's already been flipped can provide an advantage. Not required by any means but there is definetly room to gain a statistical advantage in Malifaux by counting cards. Obviously chance is always an variable, but statistics will hold hold true the longer you use them.

I dissagree completely. Knowing the odds of flipping a card with a given result based on what's in your hand and what's already been flipped can provide an advantage. Not required by any means but there is definetly room to gain a statistical advantage in Malifaux by counting cards. Obviously chance is always an variable, but statistics will hold hold true the longer you use them.

Agreed. While not a conclusive winner in this format I find that as I become more experienced in playing the game and the larger the game size more effective card counting becomes. Especially with certain character models who draw lots of cards for their controller's hand and/or have a lot of activations that require card flips.

For me counting cards adds another level of play to game trying divine my own fate as it were. After all a cruel lady she might be but she only has so many cards to play.

Marked decks are effective but you all ways run the ever greater chance of being busted for it the longer you practice such techniques. One can learn to spot some of the tricks of such trade online quickly. Daubing, stacking, marking, shuffle tricks, cards up the sleeves, etc....

The point is if your opponent is local then they will get caught and will be playing something else if they even decide to stay at the shop/club. If it's a convention event well I'd say buying a deck on site should be required and the decks should stay out in the open to be checked randomly during each match by a judge. Otherwise there's a lot of time consuming hassle involved and we haven't even covered ruler stretching nonsense, stalling, and tactical rules lawyering (bullying for gamers).

If you suspect such nonsense just get whomever is running the event's attention and "politely" bring it up. Don't wait for the game to be over or a critical play to pass. By then it's too late. If it's a friendly game and the player is local just bid your time and watch carefully for evidence and if you don't like what you see then just don't play them anymore. And if they ask get your friends together and explain what's on your mind.