Which Card Sleeves?

Etna's Vassal

I've got a bunch of UltraPro clear card sleeves fro playing Hordes-Machine, but they're way too big to hold the cards when folded or too small to hold one unfolded (I like to use a dry-erase marker to track damage). Under ideal conditions I'd like to find something protective that allows me to store the card open, as I cringe every time I open a card to reference rules knowing that eventually folding and unfolding the card like that will eventually tear the card in two.

What are people using to hold their cards in during play?

Do you have any suggestions as to what to put my cards in to protect them? Lamination is out of the question. I laminate my Monsterpocalypse maps, and the cost is simply obscene.

Thanks for any help!

The do it yourself laminate sheets are really the best deal at about a buck a piece for the 8x10 sheets. You could also look into these: http://www.staples.com/C-Line-Clear-5-x-7-Photo-Holders/product_CLI52572?cmArea=SC2:CG22:DP2182:CL163263:SS942701

but they are a little big, and the cards have a habit of sliding around in them.

I'll add my vote for lamination. I took my cards from my Lilith starter set, and had them laminated at Office Max for less than $3. For all future purchases, this will certainly be the course I follow. They came out perfectly and I can cross off wounds and such with a nice dry-erase marker.

I see more and more people recommending lamination. Let me ask, how do you laminate them? One by one in small card laminating sleeves or in full size (Letter/A4/A3/whatever) sheets and then cut them up. If the second version, how much extra laminating foil do you leave on around the edges.

I'm asking cause I used to do laminating for different purposes but in my experience they kind of split after a while on the corners if the rim is too big or too small/none.

So what do you guys find good for gaming uses?

I see more and more people recommending lamination. Let me ask, how do you laminate them? One by one in small card laminating sleeves or in full size (Letter/A4/A3/whatever) sheets and then cut them up. If the second version, how much extra laminating foil do you leave on around the edges.

I'm asking cause I used to do laminating for different purposes but in my experience they kind of split after a while on the corners if the rim is too big or too small/none.

So what do you guys find good for gaming uses?

Ideally you are going to want to have a border between 1/8" and 1/4" on anything you laminate. 3/16" is probably about perfect. If you are using the self stick type of laminate, then you'll want at least 1/4", while with heat sealed laminate, as long as you aren't too rough with your cards, 1/8" would probably be sufficient. You would probably also want to leave a little extra border if you are using a really thick laminate.

I use 3x5 UltraPro toploaders. It's not lamination, if you buy 10 of them, you can put your cards in for whatever crew you're running, and switch out between games.

This is what I do as well. Someone also makes a penny sleeve type this size but unless your cards are flattened they bow.

+1 here for changing the card style when they re-up down the road so we can use regular sleeves or not have to flip at all. A more standard format.

Also, most of the generic pg 72 terms could have fit on the cards and for a new game they should have been written as almost all the cards had planty of spare space.

I did the laminate for my WM/H cards and it worked great. I did them my self at you local copy shop that has a self serve deal. Had no problem with separation I kept a border of about 1/8 inch. I am using the sleeves like most, as the folds in the cards may mess with the process and shape after lamination.

If you're REALLY cheap like me, slap some packing tape over the cards and use dry erase marker. Same effect as laminating, but it's practically free. Plus, you don't get the plastic overhang that you need with laminating.

If you wanna get picky, make sure the seam doesn't cover any text. After repeated use, it will probably get stained with the dry erase marker.

To ensure no bubbles, when you pull out some tape, wrap it backwards around the roll. Then start at one end and roll your card onto the sticky side.

It tends to make your cards stay unfolded, but whaddya want for nothin? Rubber biscuit?

I use 3x5 UltraPro toploaders. It's not lamination, if you buy 10 of them, you can put your cards in for whatever crew you're running, and switch out between games.

How do the cards fit in those? I measured the cards and they are 3 3/16" x 4 13/16" I found this info for the 3 x 5 UltraPro toploaders

Approx. inside (usable) dimensions: 2-11/16" x 5" (6.8 cm x 12.7 cm)

You must be trimming them?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
How do the cards fit in those? I measured the cards and they are 3 3/16" x 4 13/16" I found this info for the 3 x 5 UltraPro toploaders

Approx. inside (usable) dimensions: 2-11/16" x 5" (6.8 cm x 12.7 cm)

You must be trimming them?

You can use the BCW Toploaders

3 X 5 - Topload Holder

Dimensions

- Exterior 3 5/16 x 5 1/8 x 1/16

- Interior 3 x 5

You will have to trim the top and bottom down ever so slightly for them to fit.

Lamination really is the best bet. You can buy your own Lamination machine for dirt cheap, then you just need to buy the plastic sleeves every now and then.

I picked this up a few months ago: http://amzn.to/8ZwjUt

It's only $40 and it works great. I've laminated my cards, reference sheets... everything. ;) After that initial $40 it's cheap to do any additional laminating.

Also, on an unrelated note... nice name/avatar. I <3 Disgaea. :)

• 2 weeks later...