District 9

it looks great but we've barely heard anything about it

too bad , it'll probably be buryed under under all the major releases

& will only be shown in a few theaters

There's really nothing else coming out the week of it's release fortunately (unless you count another Miyazaki film that will also get lost in the shuffle). GI Joe the week before (which looks terrible :wallbash:) and Inglourious Basterds (so excited! :thcow2:) the week after.

From a preview I read earlier here is the most basic elements of the plot without spoiling too much If you like being completly suprised don't read.

The alien ship is really more of a life raft, they came to earth because they had no where else to go after some kind of disaster, in space or on their homeworld. They were housed on land supplied by a coorperation. Outwardly the cooperation make a number of products but internaly they specialize in weapon production. They are interrogating/keeping the aliens here to try to figure out their weapons. The main human protagonist works in a force that regulates the aliens within their enclosure and is ignorant of what is going on. Later he sees the aliens assaulted, tortured ect. and tries to help them. I guess they supply him with weaponry and explosions happen.

The alien ship is really more of a life raft, they came to earth because they had no where else to go after some kind of disaster, in space or on their homeworld. They were housed on land supplied by a coorperation. Outwardly the cooperation make a number of products but internaly they specialize in weapon production. They are interrogating/keeping the aliens here to try to figure out their weapons. The main human protagonist works in a force that regulates the aliens within their enclosure and is ignorant of what is going on. Later he sees the aliens assaulted, tortured ect. and tries to help them. I guess they supply him with weaponry and explosions happen.

Treat. I'm sure there'll be some metaphoric finger-waggling message in there for us all...might as well break out Die Hard than go to most of the summer movies this year...

Finally saw the aliens in one of the previews. They look sufficiently 'other' while they're talking about how they just needed help and a place to stay while they fixed their ship to tell me that it's going to be a 'misunderstood intentions' movie and the true monsters will be the humans.

/endrant.

The way I understood how this film came to be was that Peter Jackson had lined up the director, Blomkamp to lead a HALO film adaptation.

When that project got severely bloated and shelved, Jackson was still looking for a sci-fi project, and Blomkamp's short film got a better treatment.

But, I still wanna see a HALO film!!!

Treat. I'm sure there'll be some metaphoric finger-waggling message in there for us all...might as well break out Die Hard than go to most of the summer movies this year...

Finally saw the aliens in one of the previews. They look sufficiently 'other' while they're talking about how they just needed help and a place to stay while they fixed their ship to tell me that it's going to be a 'misunderstood intentions' movie and the true monsters will be the humans.

/endrant.

Well there is the choice of location: Taking place in South Africa. (Johannesberg i believe) how's that for metaphor. (seems pretty slap in the face obvious)

Really?!?! Have you ever seen a movie based on a video game that was good.

I'll give FF the 'resident evil' films are enjoyable, but yeah, your point holds pretty close to true.

BUT...having read all the HALO novels, and really enjoying the stories, AND having Peter Jackson involved gave me hope!

Let this little geek have his dream!!! LOL

Peter Jackson involved gave me hope!

Yeah, its not like Uwe Boll was involved. Although I will admit that some Uwe Boll movies are great to watch drunk. Not as good as an Asylum studio movie(such as Snakes on a Train, Transmorphers or Alien vs Hunter) but still great bad movie to laugh at.