2023 Monthly painting challenge - August

Hawkoon

On 8/15/2023 at 11:56 PM, MestreGuilderius said:

I'm guessing you used oils to achieve this result on the minis, right ? And for the blood, I'd say blood effect paints such as Coagulated Blood for instance ?

It’s a mix of acrylic paints and oil washes, you can see all in my latest stream https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1895080630

• Like 1

I’m calling Barbaros/Thanos fine for now. My painting is still rusty but enjoying it all the same. Finally getting colours onto models I’ve owned for a longtime. 

experimented with wet glaze blending on the wings. Not great but will do. 

all work so far. Got a little light box in a Kickstarter years ago. It’s a travel one that folds up and down. Foldio. 

D. 

IMG_3623.jpeg

IMG_3629.jpeg

IMG_3627.jpeg

• Like 8

On 8/16/2023 at 8:24 PM, djmacbest said:

Middle of the month, time for a progress update: There was some barking and hissing coming from the great Nothingness, and all of a sudden some three-legged buggers and their teeth started emerging from the Void, accompanying the Scion and preparing the advent of the other children of Obliteration:

AjS2LvF.jpgpl8bxwO.jpg

FAsC5j8.jpgtNKoYH7.jpg

Not sure yet what's next - maybe Tara herself? If only I had a convincing idea for her base, stupid tippy-toe model needs some scenery!

I love this transition ❤️‍🔥 and great choice of colors!

• Thanks 1

This month I painted the 2 arcanist foundry friends, Neil & Willie with a total of 15 SS.

One of them is intended to recover what i did not paint on July 😓.  I'm not quite sure how i should introduce it on the form...   do i have to check the Mulligan in any of the 2 months?

2hFGwZq.jpg

uCl3wrL.jpg

• Like 6

My models for the month are the remainder of the returned keyword.

VGB4z35.jpgePAPwDe.jpglUgi6eb.jpgHRYUjdW.jpgvkCnfse.jpgiWjEY85.jpg

I make no firm promises as to what I will be painting to make my points for September as the Gambler's Chest arrived this month and I will liekly be painting up some of the contents of that as well.

• Like 7

Final group shot for August:

2 death marshals, recruiter, scales of Justice, judge, jury

Barbaros

Rougarou, mysterious effigy

total: 59ss

big total and a lot more than I thought I would get. Next month was going to be effigies and emissaries but think I’ll switch to some ten thunders

D. 

IMG_3700.jpeg

• Like 6

As a sudden turn of events, my gaming group decided to hold an escalation league starting this week😱

I had to put Nekima aside and get to work on a new keyword. So awakening the gremlin inside, I turned to swampfiends. I did finish up Bad Juju and the Kurgan in just 2 days (putting in the final touches late yesterday), but haven't gotten around to taking any decent photos yet.

First game is today, so I'll take some photos when I get back😁

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

As a sudden turn of events, my gaming group decided to hold an escalation league starting this week😱

I had to put Nekima aside and get to work on a new keyword. So awakening the gremlin inside, I turned to swampfiends. I did finish up Bad Juju and the Kurgan in just 2 days (putting in the final touches late yesterday), but haven't gotten around to taking any decent photos yet.

First game is today, so I'll take some photos when I get back😁

Think I’m running a henchman hardcore soon so next month will be some cool hardcore crews. Thunders-style

• Like 1

And as promised here are photos of Kurgan and Bedeviled kettle (Bad Juju).

large.20230903_145030.jpg.baef44cfd31009

large.20230903_145144.jpg.9944cb34d05102

Edit: I belive I also promised a report on their performance on the table.

As we were only playing henchman +10SS the games were rather fast, so i managed to put up 2 games in one evening. First game against Monteressor and a hanged was quite brutal, but I managed to squeeze out a 3-2 win even with both my models dead at the end of the game.

The second game was against Manos and a komainu. I managed to kill the komainu and keep Manos away from scoring ending 3-0 for the swampfiends.

• Like 7

@Diddick - thank you - those skintones are just brilliant, great job making them look alive AND at the same time like they just left the mine!

@Moinetbeard  - how you used colored ligthing to illuminate the shadows on your Scion is absolutely wonderful, while from above it has this perfect moonlit vibe. Suuuuper atmospheric, absolutely love it! (Same on your Lynch2)

@Gheist - love that Paper Tiger! And super cool idea for its base, half jungle, half library!

@MestreGuilderius - I'm going to need to copy that red recipe you used for your BB Shamans - I always end up going orange, really cool how you kept it cool!

This is my output for August (well, I just varnished Talos 10 minutes ago, but finished painting last week already, so I'll include him):

zYV6Ski.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1