2023 Monthly painting challenge - August

Hawkoon

Greetings everyone!

Wish I could say I'm busy at GenCon, but alas, I'm still in Norway and back at the office after a much needed (yet too short) vacation.

Summer is waning, and it's time to get back to painting!

I still have quite a few nephilim that are in desperate need of paint, so I'll be focusing on chipping awway at that those for another month or two, then I'll have a sliding transition to my recently acquired new crew... The Returned! Feels like I've been waiting forever for their release and now I finally have them!

What will you guys be painting this month?

• Like 2

• Hawkoon changed the title to 2023 Monthly painting challenge - August

Will also be painting returned! White eyes and and urnbearers should be arriving later today but will have to put off working on them until I get some more plastic glue. In addition to them I also still have both the henchmen and the blood vessels still to paint up to complete the crew (and perhaps come black friday I might be able to pick up alt Barbaros too... he keeps going out of stock before I get my order in!

Perfect cue - was about to wonder if I should post this fella that I finished yesterday to the July thread still, so great save!

y7mG75q.jpg

After mulling over this for about a month and lots of experimenting on some greenstuff structures with various combinations of basecoat, pre-shading and colorshift to chose, I decided that I want the GSW colorshift "Darth Blue" to be the gimmick throughout the full Tara crew - it looks appropriately space-y to signify void, I think, and I'm happy enough with the result.

So yeah, that's also my most likely plan for the rest of the month: Dig into this lovely band of time-bending misfits:

MAomywn.jpg

And if I get bored of cosmic horror vibes, I can still take care of the remaining Woes (Dorian, Iggy, Carver) or my fully primed and equally fully unpainted crew of Bandits.

Oh, and I may have done a thing and built an Airtable gallery for my painted Malifaux minis, for no reason other than liking neat things. See y'all later in the month!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, MestreGuilderius said:

Opening this monthly challenge with some Young Nephilims ! The Mature are already on wip, as is Hayreddin :D

And if you ever wander : yes, these bases are a blast to do and paint :D All this "Gargoyles party in the graveyard" theme I chose for the crew is coming along nicely^^

IMG_20230803_110219.jpg

IMG_20230803_110237.jpg

IMG_20230803_105725.jpg

IMG_20230803_105735.jpg

IMG_20230803_110050.jpg

IMG_20230803_110102.jpg

IMG_20230803_110129.jpg

IMG_20230803_110145.jpg

Creepy and very cool gargoyles! These make me reconsider getting Nekima core set despite already having a fully painted Lilith crew, just to try a similar scheme... Do you happen to have an image with brighter lights, to take a closer look at how they appear in daylight? Or would that ruin the magic?

15 hours ago, djmacbest said:

Creepy and very cool gargoyles! These make me reconsider getting Nekima core set despite already having a fully painted Lilith crew, just to try a similar scheme... Do you happen to have an image with brighter lights, to take a closer look at how they appear in daylight? Or would that ruin the magic?

I do not use filters when posting here, though I do close a lot the aperture of my phone lens when taking these photos.

Here's the pic with normal aperture, that I posted one on my IG account, because I got asked what stuff I used for the bases^^

Hope you'll like it too ;)

IMG_20230803_125522.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MestreGuilderius said:

I do not use filters when posting here, though I do close a lot the aperture of my phone lens when taking these photos.

Here's the pic with normal aperture, that I posted one on my IG account, because I got asked what stuff I used for the bases^^

Hope you'll like it too ;)

IMG_20230803_125522.jpg

Oh nice, this looks quite close to the Burgundy range from Two Thin Coats, actually, great fit.

12 hours ago, djmacbest said:

Oh nice, this looks quite close to the Burgundy range from Two Thin Coats, actually, great fit.

Don't own any paints from Duncan's range xD on a WhiteBlue (ProAcryl Ninjon Signature set) zenithal and deep purple nadiral (mix 1/1/1 black primer GSW/Blue ink liquitex/Red ink liquitex), I applied a mix of 1/1 PurpleSwarm/MurderScene Speedpaints 2.0. After this, several steps of highlighting and shadow-lining, with various paints and mixes :) I finished with a glazing of purple and a final step of highlights.

• Thanks 1

Got distracted from my marshals and managed a quick paint job yesterday. Always loved the idea of Lilith controlling all the monsters (she was their mother in 1st Ed) and what’s more monstrous than a frickin werewolf!

hope to return to Lilith next month or Nekima. 

D. 

IMG_3539.jpeg

• Like 7

So after some advice on Barbaros I decided to change armour colour and in so doing created an abomination. 

i present to you my thanos adjacent Barbaros - Thanoros/ Barbanos 

it never occurred to me until it was too late. May have to do an outcast band in the style of his children. 

D. 

IMG_3542.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@MestreGuilderius Quite interesting take on the nephilim colouring. Looks very good. Some of the images are possibly a little too dark to pick out the nuances I know is there (thanks to insta 😉 ). Good work on both quality and quantity 👏

@djmacbest Love the scion😍

@daemonkin Looking forwards to seeing Barbie finished. Really striking colourchoises, that I wouldn't think of myself, but looks really good😂

@Viruk You're a beast as usual when it comes too sheer quality output. I don't even understand how you do it 😵‍💫 I really find the blood effects quite interesting. Have you shared how you do it on the wyrd stream?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

@MestreGuilderius Quite interesting take on the nephilim colouring. Looks very good. Some of the images are possibly a little too dark to pick out the nuances I know is there (thanks to insta 😉 ). Good work on both quality and quantity 👏

@djmacbest Love the scion and looking forwards to seeing Barbie finished. Really striking colourchoises, that I wouldn't think of myself, but looks really good😂

@Viruk You're a beast as usual when it comes too sheer quality output. I don't even understand how you do it 😵‍💫 I really find the blood effects quite interesting. Have you shared how you do it on the wyrd stream?

Thanks :D you're right, went a bit too heavily with the filters xD

@Viruk, I'm guessing you used oils to achieve this result on the minis, right ? And for the blood, I'd say blood effect paints such as Coagulated Blood for instance ?

On 8/14/2023 at 8:50 PM, Hawkoon said:

Going really slowly with my Nekima, but i feel it's actually going somewhere😈

large.20230814_202305.jpg.e2fb6cca91a225

I guess I'm about halfway done... So hopefully I'll finish up before the end of the month...

That skintone and hair is just gorgeous... But seeing this just now: Did you give her a different sword than the original sculpt?

On 8/17/2023 at 1:16 AM, djmacbest said:

That skintone and hair is just gorgeous... But seeing this just now: Did you give her a different sword than the original sculpt?

Yes, I did swap the sword with a bigger one. I think the original one has bad proportions and comes off as quite dull compared to the rest of the model. The sword I wanted was a bit too long for a reasonable stance on the base, so I adjusted the angle of her hooves to fit with a flying charge. It's hard to explain in words, so I'll just continue when I get her finished and can show with a photo.

Love the rainbow transition effect on your wretches. Genious idea and excellent execution🤩 (wish I hadn't already painted mine....)

2 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

Love the rainbow transition effect on your wretches. Genious idea and excellent execution🤩 (wish I hadn't already painted mine....)

Thank you - the credit belongs to my wife, though: I initially only painted the fluo orange and could not figure out why it didn't read as some kind of dimensional rift. So she came up with the idea that the colors need to bleed differently in both directions to make the transition blurry and sufficiently otherworldly.

• Like 1