Sight line and Concealment

Leonardo1511

Question

image.thumb.png.443e4bdf18c2e73d4b61e2e889d838e7.png

I have found some unclear about the concealing terrain trait. Because you may ignore the Concealing trait if you are in that terrain and the sight line passes through 1" or less of that terrain.

But if that sight line is blocked and you still have others unblocked sight line but passes through the concealing more than 1".

Can you still ignore the concealing?

I think it should be No, but I do not sure as much because of this unclear concealing rule.

6 answers to this question

No.

You can only ignore the Concealing Terrain Trait if your sight line from one model to another model (or targeted point on the table) passes through less than 1" of the Concealing terrain.

If a line from model A to model B is blocked (and passes through less than 1" of Concealing) , but a line from model A to model C is unblocked, but passes through more than 1" of Concealing, then model A cannot target model B, but can target model C with a negative on the flip.

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 2

My answer is yes.

Concealing rules don't say anything about unblocked sight lines. Sight lines are drawn even if they pass through an object that blocks los (and become blocked this way). So you draw a sight line, it passes through no more than 1" of terrain - you are fine, no concealment. 

On the other hand your target will have concealment even if all sight lines drawn through concealing terrain are blocked. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Scoffer said:

My answer is yes.

Concealing rules don't say anything about unblocked sight lines. Sight lines are drawn even if they pass through an object that blocks los (and become blocked this way). So you draw a sight line, it passes through no more than 1" of terrain - you are fine, no concealment. 

On the other hand your target will have concealment even if all sight lines drawn through concealing terrain are blocked. 

I agree, if you can draw a sight line that passes through 1"or less of the terrain you ignore that terrains concealing trait. Its not that just that sight line ignores it. 

In a similar way if only part of a model is in concealing terrain, it still gains concealment as long as at least 1 sight line  does pass through the concealing terrain even if you can draw plenty of sight lines between the two models that don't pass through the terrain at all.

It is an abstraction, so it might have some slight strange outcomes, but the rules tell us that you get to ignore the concealing trait of the terrain, so it doesn't matter if you have to use a different sight line to get an unblocked one. 

• Agree 2

As awful as the situation (where the rules apply the results of drawn lines of sight even though they are blocked) appears at first glance, I think this is being done to avoid the creation of inconsistent or exploitable situations.  And being able to arrange other models or terrain markers to block lines of sight and eliminate concealment would definitely be something that would be exploited.

In other words:  Because you shouldn't be able to eliminate the effects of concealing terrain by making sure that you can't see the forest, it doesn't matter whether or not you can see through the forest for ignoring it.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, solkan said:

As awful as the situation (where the rules apply the results of drawn lines of sight even though they are blocked) appears at first glance, I think this is being done to avoid the creation of inconsistent or exploitable situations.  And being able to arrange other models or terrain markers to block lines of sight and eliminate concealment would definitely be something that would be exploited.

In other words:  Because you shouldn't be able to eliminate the effects of concealing terrain by making sure that you can't see the forest, it doesn't matter whether or not you can see through the forest for ignoring it.  :)

That is a fair argument and one I can get behind as it makes the game better. I'm sold.