N3xus One of Many (post errata)

Nexus 2023

Good day Explorers, 

I am hoping for some ideas and list building tips to use N3xus One of Many post the November errata. 

I only got one game in before the changes. I really like the theme of this crew and want to get good with them! 

How were people using them pre errata? How are people using them now? I’ve heard a lot of “don’t bother” etc so hoping I can drum up some more positive ideas hehe. 

I was considering them as a crew with a ton of cheap models at their disposal. 
Was also theorizing how they could perform in a hyper aggressive Nightsilk list with as many out of activation stat 7 attacks as possible. 

All thoughts and ideas are appreciated but I’m looking for fun ideas more than “don’t bothers!”

cheers!

26 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

That said, I'd try the old Nexus 2 plus botanist build on carve a path and see how that goes.

What was that list? Sorry to be a pain I went through all the threads I thought but didn’t see any definitive lists. Probably missed it. 

I don’t get many opportunities to actually play so most of my hobby is painting and theory. 

14 minutes ago, Nexus 2023 said:

What was that list? Sorry to be a pain I went through all the threads I thought but didn’t see any definitive lists. Probably missed it. 

I don’t get many opportunities to actually play so most of my hobby is painting and theory. 

Mostly doing this from memory, but your core is three botanists and some models to make web markers so you can grow them. So I think people included nightsilk creeper and archivist.

And... That's 34 stones? So basically room for one more model of your choice and maybe some upgrades. Or potentially two cheap models!

They were hit pretty hard by the bat, but ultimately, you still have 9AP and 18 Health available just for showing up and you can split it across 3 different parts of the board.

If you plan on running the list in Carve the Path, which is their best strategy by a country mile, don't forget you can grow your Botanists by pushing Carve Markers over Corpse/Scrap/Terrain Markers as it removes them. It's more efficient than just Slamming them.

Web Markers are fine for this, and you'll have some of them while doing your thing anyway, but having only an Archivist and Nightsilk Creeper can pressure your activation order as I often find myself wanting to go with Archivist late in the turn - and if you remove all the Webs you generate turn 1, you miss out on a teleport outlet for Nightsilk Creeper turn 2.

So, I've found a Rough Rider good to supplement the Marker generation; Drop a Dust Cloud turn 1 with Kick Up Dust, then immediately Interact to shove that Carve Marker over it. 

If you want to save Soulstones at the cost of being slightly inefficient, you can also just hire an extra 2ss Eyes and Ears for the express purpose of dying early on to friendly fire and letting its Corpse Marker be removed by a Carve Marker or by a Botanist eating it with Grim Feast.

If you're wanting to pick Nexus2 in more than just Carve the Path, I'm not really sure how best to build them these days. The crew probably still wants triple Botanists, the Archivist and a grow engine to support them, but they won't be as efficient at growing or as good at competing on the strat. I'd recommend hiring Intrepid Emissary more as the kids are even squishier now and you'll need to protect them in all 3 of the other strats, and then experimenting with your hiring from there.

I still think they're decent and worth giving a try. You will have alot of actions to achieve your goals and the nerf did not touch botanists who are really excellent 6ss minions. Worth noting that cadmus have access to some great models and you don't *have* to rely on botanists- spelleaters are great and i think cavatica is a decent tech pick with nexkids.

Maybe look at something like the below to start with. The nightsilk Creeper will drop 2 Web markers first activation, ready for you to grow the botanists. 

New One Of Many Crew (Explorer's Society)
Size: 50 - Pool: 6
Leader:
  Nexus One of Many
Totem(s):
  Nexus One of Many 2
  Nexus One of Many 3
Hires:
  Eyes and Ears
  Archivist
  Dr. Meredith Stanley
  Nightsilk Creeper
  Botanist
  Botanist 2
  Botanist 3
References:
  Berserker Husk

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Moinetbeard said:

I still think they're decent and worth giving a try. You will have alot of actions to achieve your goals and the nerf did not touch botanists who are really excellent 6ss minions. Worth noting that cadmus have access to some great models and you don't *have* to rely on botanists- spelleaters are great and i think cavatica is a decent tech pick with nexkids.

Maybe look at something like the below to start with. The nightsilk Creeper will drop 2 Web markers first activation, ready for you to grow the botanists. 

New One Of Many Crew (Explorer's Society)
Size: 50 - Pool: 6
Leader:
  Nexus One of Many
Totem(s):
  Nexus One of Many 2
  Nexus One of Many 3
Hires:
  Eyes and Ears
  Archivist
  Dr. Meredith Stanley
  Nightsilk Creeper
  Botanist
  Botanist 2
  Botanist 3
References:
  Berserker Husk

I agree, I think they are definitely still playable. The nerf seems completely wild when you look at it, but you just need to remember how completely over the top they were before. If you try to forget how they were printed previously and only look at their cards as they are now they still seem very interesting. I am curious what you like about Cavatica though? I have only tried him briefly, but was left very unimpressed. 

3 hours ago, esqulax said:

I agree, I think they are definitely still playable. The nerf seems completely wild when you look at it, but you just need to remember how completely over the top they were before. If you try to forget how they were printed previously and only look at their cards as they are now they still seem very interesting. I am curious what you like about Cavatica though? I have only tried him briefly, but was left very unimpressed. 

I am by no means an expert, but I've tried using cavatica against crews that rely on auras alot. Called out and the trigger lool away are both unique to cavatica and worth considering. Had good success with him against someone playing Toni for example- Fitzsimmons' annoying auras were effectively neutralised and I also forced staggered on to him which made it very difficult to dodge the shock wave attacks of the botanists and meredith.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the thread necro but thought it was better to ask a small question here than make a completely new thread.

Does Nexus 2 get the shambling nests? I originally thought no due to 'Many Voices', but when making a list is the app, they are added? I assume it's a mistake in the app but wanted to check . Also, if they are no longer totems, can they be bought as normal models?

25 minutes ago, Strangedane said:

Sorry for the thread necro but thought it was better to ask a small question here than make a completely new thread.

Does Nexus 2 get the shambling nests? I originally thought no due to 'Many Voices', but when making a list is the app, they are added? I assume it's a mistake in the app but wanted to check . Also, if they are no longer totems, can they be bought as normal models?

The shambling nests do not count as totems, so they don't get to be hired for free, but you can hire them at 3ss each. 

Its possible that the app isn't correctly applying this (I remember reading a thread in the App section about it but no idea if its resolved or not)

• Like 1