Multiple Vatagi Huntsman

Clement

Question

So a friend of mine is running multiple Vatagi huntsman and I'm confused as to how the aura applies from "Set up the kill"

Once per turn.  After an enemy model within A8 suffers damage from a friendly Pit Trap Marker, it must either discard a card or a friendly Apex model may take an Attack Action targeting it, ignoring Friendly Fire.

So normally when looking at multiple instances of the same aura, it only prevents stacking if the same model is being effected by multiple auras of the same name.   But who is the model actually being effected here?   The Apex model getting the free attack or the model that's getting attacked?

In short, if a model is standing in multiple Huntsman auras, how many cards do they discard and how many attacks do they take?

4 answers to this question

Auras can affect multiple models, life leach being a prime example. In this case, the models being affected by the aura are the enemy model damaged by the pit trap, and the friendly model taking the attack. So no matter how many vatagi huntsman try to use Set Up The Kill, they only need to discard 1 card. If they do, no enemy model gets to attack them. If they don't, a different enemy model for every Set Up The Kill used will be able to attack them.

• Thanks 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

48 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

Auras can affect multiple models, life leach being a prime example. In this case, the models being affected by the aura are the enemy model damaged by the pit trap, and the friendly model taking the attack. So no matter how many vatagi huntsman try to use Set Up The Kill, they only need to discard 1 card. If they do, no enemy model gets to attack them. If they don't, a different enemy model for every Set Up The Kill used will be able to attack them.

I'm not so sure I agree. The friendly model does not have to be in the Aura at all. It just says a Friendly Apex model (it doesn't say within A8)- it could be Cooper 14" away. He's not affected by the Aura as he's not in it. The Enemy model is being affected by the Aura, but I'm not so sure the Friendly is. It's not quite the same as Life Leech as it isn't referring to the Vatagi Huntsman but any Apex and it doesn't say they have to be in the Aura to take the shot. 

It is just ambiguous enough that I'm not sure though.... If it said 'a friendly Apex model within A8', then it would be more clear. But is seems to be any Apex model even if they are outside the Aura's range as written. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

The reason why multiple models can be affected by Life Leech is that the effect is "this model Heals 1 and the enemy model suffers 1 damage"--that's two independent effects, as confirmed by the FAQ.

The effect of Set Up the Kill is "[the model that suffered the qualifying damage] must either discard a card or a friendly Apex model may take an Attack Action targeting it, ignoring Friendly Fire."  That's a This or That choice that [the model that suffered the qualifying damage] makes, so that's who the aura is affecting.  You can't force that choice to be resolved multiple times off of a single occurance.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2