General Faction Upgrades

Jordon

54 minutes ago, Jordon said:

I'm just tired of always seeing the same models getting the usual upgrades. SoDP on Hanged is just too efficient to ignore. The model might as well cost an extra 2ss and staple the abilities to the card. I'm sure every faction has them and it's a shame that the cheap minions will never get their chance while these super minions exist.  

I think this is inherently an issue with upgrades.

They will inevitably be better with some models than others, so you will see them with the models they're good with.

Or they're generically good and you see them with everyone.

Same thing happens with models really.

3 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I think this is inherently an issue with upgrades.

They will inevitably be better with some models than others, so you will see them with the models they're good with.

Or they're generically good and you see them with everyone.

Same thing happens with models really.

Agreed, there will always be those models who will benefit more than others. However I still believe there is a better way that would at least open upgrades up to more than the same select few. Maybe it doesn't make sense for everyone, but my hope is that every keyword has it share of decent carriers. Make those who serve to benefit most, have to pay the higher cost. 

I also agree that this has some relation to the current state of the game. Where low cost minions are simply not the optimum choice in most games. If cheap models had more value, than they may at least have some slight considerations when it comes to upgrades.

Even still, I think this problem will still remain and as long as we have such a huge discrepancy between minions, the upgrades that treat all minions equally will never make sense. 

Part of that stems from definition and expectation shifting. There originally, was an expectation that minions would’ve the weakest of the models in the game, and then it sort of morphed or gained the idea that minions were those models you could have more than 1 of, but the balancing still treated them as if they were weak. Hanged would be a sizable percentage less good if they were enforcers for example.

We have 3 (or four) type of models so i would rewritte upgrades to they can give more benefits depending of who has.

-Leaders (Masters & Henchman) get first abilitie.

-Enforcers get first abilitie and second abilitie or action.

-Minions get full card abilites and actions.

4 hours ago, belorey said:

We have 3 (or four) type of models so i would rewritte upgrades to they can give more benefits depending of who has.

-Leaders (Masters & Henchman) get first abilitie.

-Enforcers get first abilitie and second abilitie or action.

-Minions get full card abilites and actions.

Still has mostly the same issue, re Mature Nephilim and for example, Iggy. 

We don't know why Wyrd decided to do it the way they have. But there's not a consistent corollary between the power levels of Minions and Enforcers.

I'd have preferred they just used Minion 1 for Enforcers, or used Enforcer 2 if they wanted Matures the way they are, but that's not the case.

2 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

Still has mostly the same issue, re Mature Nephilim and for example, Iggy. 

We don't know why Wyrd decided to do it the way they have. But there's not a consistent corollary between the power levels of Minions and Enforcers.

I'd have preferred they just used Minion 1 for Enforcers, or used Enforcer 2 if they wanted Matures the way they are, but that's not the case.

Well but this is other thing. A Mature cost 10ss so even if is a Minion he is in a power level of Henchman but without SS. In the other hand Iggy is an enforcer of 6ss he is almost like a standar Minion in cost.

Most minios in Malifaux move between 5-8ss and enforcers between 7-9. Whilst enforcers usually have special and unique abilities/Actions.

I'm speaking about a general rule for all models but in a game with 659 different models you will always find someone who get more benefit than others from general rules.