annoyed about model sizes

Purzel

I just assembled Iron Heart von Schill and the Auxiliary forces and while it started with a slight annoyance about the severely grown von Schill, I am thoroughly angry now about the size differences across the whole model range.

I read about 'heroic size' but the change is not consistent! Some models still fit nicely to the m2 plastic range like the new Misaki, Jin, the amazing Vik's sculpt, some however are totally off.

This is especially noticable in the Auxiliary Forces box, where the normal scout and drache trooper are packed with the ridiculously enlarged new ones. Asami Tanaka has grown, Electric Hoffman is a giant inside his Exoskeleton. New Reva is ok however.

Is this going to continue? Please get back to a coherent size and let those huge models be the exception. Sorry for ranting, but this is really annoying for me as a collector.

Sorry to be a person to disappoint you, but I assume you have never assembled Johan, the Samurai or the Pathfinders or the M2E death marshals, as other boxes from the M1/M2 plastic era that also have figures that are out of scale when compared to the norm. (often it was figure that aren't standing, but not always). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adran said:

Sorry to be a person to disappoint you, but I assume you have never assembled Johan, the Samurai or the Pathfinders or the M2E death marshals, as other boxes from the M1/M2 plastic era that also have figures that are out of scale when compared to the norm. (often it was figure that aren't standing, but not always). 

I personally think, that this just shows that this Wyrd is not able (or willing) to address this matter over years despite people repeatedly express their dissapointment with it, which is imho even more sad. I think all the Malifaux model range is amazing, but the continual ignorance of scaling issues is really annoying.

8 minutes ago, malyzubor said:

I personally think, that this just shows that this Wyrd is not able (or willing) to address this matter over years despite people repeatedly express their dissapointment with it, which is imho even more sad. I think all the Malifaux model range is amazing, but the continual ignorance of scaling issues is really annoying.

There are certainly instances where they have corrected mis-sized models, but I'm not sure how high relative scale is on the list of wyrd priorities for the model. I may be wrong, but I think they would rather something that looked "cool" than was the right scale, which would explain why kneeling people ended up being giants, and the Watcher being made with its wing in "perspective". 

• Like 2

The issue with kneeling models being too big appears to be an over correction concerning the height of kneeling models (who, if you do them in a consistent scale do tend to look “short”).  And let’s not get started on the undersized horse problem that’s occurred a few times.  *cough*  Puppetpocalypse Horsemen *cough*

12 minutes ago, solkan said:

The issue with kneeling models being too big appears to be an over correction concerning the height of kneeling models (who, if you do them in a consistent scale do tend to look “short”).  And let’s not get started on the undersized horse problem that’s occurred a few times.  *cough*  Puppetpocalypse Horsemen *cough*

For the record, puppet horses aren't quite horses, they're just stick horses.  If the horses had BODIES they would clearly of needed to be cycled big enough to ride :).  More realistically while they do seem a bit small when you get em out, it is 4 riders for the price of 1, so it's a pretty great deal + are pretty fun/quick to paint and look amazing on bigger scenic bases, so I've been very very happy with them the way they are.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, malyzubor said:

😳 Have they really? Like the same sculpt but with different size in a newer production serie? 

The original M2e plastic Viks box was comically oversized and they did another printing with normal proportions. I think that's the only time they've done such a thing.

10 hours ago, malyzubor said:

😳 Have they really? Like the same sculpt but with different size in a newer production serie? 

This thread has pictures

There is also a giant thread from that time where Nathen talks about some of the scale issues (The Giant Death Marshal was intended to be that large, based on a game they played for example, and elsewhere Nathen has said Reva is supposed to be on a small horse) and that they had to re-tool the Viks box mould. 

Oh, I missed that Viks' case, that is really interesting, however as it was probably the only exception and the rest of explanation seem to be more of excuse for failure. I can definitely accept the size difference between difference some human figures. E.g. huge Johan might be just huge. What strikes me most are the relative differences that just indicates botched scaling. It is fine (or acceptable at least), to have one samurai far bigger than the other. But if he wields a very same gatling gun but far bigger, than the other, it definitely shows the failure. Sure, you might say that you can see a clydesdale standing next to an arabian horse, when looking at Reva next to the Hooded rider. But it is definitely odd if some gremlin kid (Young LaCroix3) is taller than Alphonse (and you definitely do not want to stand that girl next to a catalan sniper...). Or if you open the box of warpigs and compare the actual size of models with their relative size on the box (either art or renders), there sure is a problem. The fact that this is often the case of dynamic models (crouching, jumping...) only emphasized the fact, that it is just some mistake/neglect/other failure in the production processes, that Wyrd very rarely (if ever) addresses. Which is just pity, as I find this the only big problem I have with their otherwise amazing minis.

• Agree 1

As far as the Samurai models having different sizes of weapons...  Not to throw mud, but Corvus Belli is somewhat notorious about having guns on various models scaled depending on who is holding the gun.  Because they think that looks better.  😑

But apparently because of how Wyrd gets their plastic figures produced, they've occasionally had issues with production runs being produced at the wrong size (like the mounted guard, or the above mentioned Viktorias box).  For Reva, that appears to be a case of "we meant for her model to be that small" (although it may be more along the lines of "well, that's the product we [Wyrd] paid for [and it's too late to get it changed]...") but there's also a Limited Edition Reva model which features a much larger horse (and a bit more elaborate detailing).

Just to give my spin as an injection molding "expert", the process itself has size limitations.

Most Malifaux models are extremely good in proportions, but the consequence is they have tiny details, that are barely within the processing capacity.

Anyone remembers the braid of Misaki or those damn chains on the torakage M2e boxes?

Going even smaller to respect the scale might induce very high scrap rate (part ruptures upon ejection or non filled parts) or might require special tooling which is expensive and vastly beyond the scope of plastic toy molding.

This is also why other big miniature producers use totally out of scale details like huge weapons and so on. To keep it simple on the molding side

Wyrd decided to keep it cool, but probably had to compromise on scaling

• Like 2