Waldo's Weekly - My Bloody Valentine

Hobby Wyrd

WW_2_23.2022_SocialMedia.thumb.jpeg.d802b5a2a054a91d06f28b1ab2fe5774.jpeg

Howdy Wyrdos!

This week we caught Waldo in our Hobby Kit, munching on gray bits. Some of those spikey pieces aren't going to be fun for him to pass. So, as we hide the rest of our plastic, let's take a look at some amazingly painted plastic... our Bloody Valentine winners!
The choices for each category were very difficult, especially among our staff vote! Without further ado, our winners!

In the Singles category, we have:

•  1st place - "Will You Be Mine?" by @Enigma

WW_2_23.2022_Single-First.thumb.jpeg.5e1f36e86ce037c9acd5a2b241d10a2f.jpeg

•  2nd place - Untitled He-Kome by @mgb6

WW_2_23.2022_Single-Second.thumb.jpeg.c96b77d5ad91d7aa32b2d1572ff38664.jpeg

•  3rd Place- Untitled Francis Kitchener by @Skrytnik

WW_2_23.2022_Single-Third.thumb.jpeg.2a64ee6d5d7ddc477b0084338f4210d9.jpeg

In the Diorama/Vignette category, we have:

•  1st place - "Stolen Hearts Club" by @Doc Lead

WW_2_23.2022_Diorama-First.thumb.jpeg.cad65d444f8ed07eea4a12c051e68f1b.jpeg

•  2nd place - "Leveticus Diorama" by @KID55

WW_2_23.2022_Diorama-Second.thumb.jpeg.8cf1bf4e2ba4733bc30b45141ad3bd8b.jpeg

•  3rd Place - "Freed From Desire" by @Silver_lining_minipainting

WW_2_23.2022_Diorama-Third.thumb.jpeg.a984e34b647b1d518b1eea9418e26ef6.jpeg

For Best of Show and Best of Wyrd, the choice was very difficult! The winners are:

•  Best of Show – Bloody Valentine – "Secrets of Loveless Manor" by @Brushwarrior

WW_2_23.2022_BestofShow.thumb.jpeg.717b75347f4107400003a47dd40f629b.jpeg

•  Best of Wyrd Entry – "Will you be mine?" by @Enigma

WW_2_23.2022_BestofWyrd.thumb.jpeg.b24030f1f3f9accdd33d6db3509c4c6f.jpeg

Thanks to all participants and winners for the amazing entries! Winners will be contacted shortly to sort their prizes!
Finally, we thank everyone for their feedback regarding our painting contests. Changes to the format will be coming soon, so keep an eye out for that information!

• Like 7

Congratulations to all the winners. There was some truly amazing work on display! 

@Hobby Wyrd thank you so much for hosting this. It really is a great opportunity for all of us to attack the hobby in a creative way! While you are potentially considering possible changes, might I suggest maybe splitting up us novice painters from the pros? I honestly don't care about winning a prize... for me it's more about at least getting a vote :( (meaning, receiving one) Just looking at this thread I can see people that have won multiple times... maybe they should be in a category together to duke it out. Just a thought :) I really do love these competitions, despite my obvious lack of talent ;) So thank you again! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

Congratulations to all the winners. There was some truly amazing work on display! 

@Hobby Wyrd thank you so much for hosting this. It really is a great opportunity for all of us to attack the hobby in a creative way! While you are potentially considering possible changes, might I suggest maybe splitting up us novice painters from the pros? I honestly don't care about winning a prize... for me it's more about at least getting a vote :( (meaning, receiving one) Just looking at this thread I can see people that have won multiple times... maybe they should be in a category together to duke it out. Just a thought :) I really do love these competitions, despite my obvious lack of talent ;) So thank you again! 

I think this is an interesting notion. The downside is splitting up the competition in multiple small groups. The advantage is that indeed more novice painters can get recognition for their work. I recently participated in a middle-earth themed painting contest that alternates between competitions hosted for intermediate-advanced painters (defined as having at least 2 years of experience in the hobby combined with experience with advanced techniques, such as nmm, osl, glazing, etc.), all the rest can compete in the beginner category. But these are completely separate contests.

Not sure what is best, there's pro's and cons here.

Small side note, I believe that you can achieve a whole lot in this hobby without what most would call raw talent. Perseverance and passion will get you way further unless you aspire to be one of the absolute best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gheist said:

how do you manage to have -3 Posts?

I can answer that. When I take someone's photo from the gallery and change the author or when a thread is removed or hidden, it does some strange backend magic in the forum and can give negative posts. Basically the same for any posts that Staff or a Mod messes with for any reason.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Silver_lining_minipainting said:

I think this is an interesting notion....

I just wanted to take a second and thank you for all the discussion both here and on the other thread. 

Civil, adult conversation is so rare on the internet. 

Thank you again to Wyrd for hosting this competition. I'm looking forward to the next one! 

• Like 2

• Kyle unpinned this topic