Badlands Sheriff built around minions

Corwin Black

I want to share the idea of Basse's gang built around minions.

Size: 50 - Pool: 0
Leader: Cornelius Basse, Badlands Sheriff
Totem(s): Bernadette Basse
Hires:
Sand Worm
Rough Rider
Rough Rider 2
Paul Crockett
Pathfinder
Pathfinder 2 + Flush with Cash
Austera and Twigge

The main threats that the gang offers:

5 shooters at 14", starting in the center of the table. All shooters ignore Concealment if they are 4" from the master. 

2 shooters at 12": master and Auster.

Let there be 0 soul stones, but cards in the gang can be sorted out by Auster + once per game there is an opportunity to sort out three cards from an upgrade + pathfinder with an upgrade can get a soulstone for the death of an ally.

There are 9 models in the gang and all are very useful. The gang controls almost the entire table already on the first move. Additional mobility is achieved by two Ridy with Me + at the beginning of each turn, rangers can move an ally by 2"

After playing with a gang in a tournament, I realized that a gang is capable of being competitive in scenarios where you need to actively move around the table. It should also be understood that you should not strive for a master in close combat, trying to save other models. The death of 2 - 3 ordinary models will not weaken the gang as much as the death of Basse.

I don't have as much experience playing the title Basse as I do the classic version. However, from my games, I have learned that the new Basse can be useful for a very long time by shooting at 12'' and creating a tornado. But the classic Bass really needs soulstones.

If you want to play with a normal number of soulstones, I would remove Paul, replace the worm with Reichard and play 4 soulstones.

Pathfinder is too useful due to the ability to summon traps and the ability to move an ally at the start of the turn.

• Like 1

I find Austringers to be hot garbage tbh. I already have enough models that can shoot with Basse, a single Pathfinder and a Roughrider. A mobil threat like the worm and Reichhart, which piggybacks with the rider is more valuable in my mind.

I rather include Vernon and Welles as a Schemerunner than an Austringer. You need models that score, killing isnt enough in Malifaux, even in pools that lean towards such a strategy.

Yesterday I ran:

Basse2 + Totem

JoJo

Roughrider

V&W

Worm

Pearl

Pathfinder

4SS

I played vs Levi and he didnt get to kill a single model before turn 3, even then he only killed Bernadette. I abandonned the flank with the deso and Ashes and Dust and repositioned towards levi, who didnt attack into the V&W bubble + Concealing. Won 6 to 5 after a hard and long game (6 hours, 10 out of 11 points scored in turn 4 and 5)

The attack from the Austringers that does 1/3/4 with Onslaught is nice, but not strong in my mind. I have enough gunline models with Basse2 and the Pathfinder that I prefer to have speed over damage in the rest of the Crew. I tried running 2 Austringers and was disappointed.

In that minion list you have no good targets for ride with me or the Pathfinder pushes, as you basically start were you want to be anyway, loosing a lot of their potential power. 

If you want to go minion heavy I would rather consider Frontiersmen, Roughriders and Pearl with Basse1 (so the dust clouds disappear and you heal a ton with survivalist). I think Pearl might be good in Basse1, in Basse2 she doesnt do a lot and I would have prefered to have a Frontiersman.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, im_open_to_suggestions said:

Honestly wouldnt leave home with at least one Austringer in a Basse list.

I also like to play Austringer. Therefore, I would recommend looking at the Austera and Twigge. She also has higher damage on an attack that ignores everything, and she has more tactical options.

15 hours ago, Usjdkdb said:

In that minion list you have no good targets for ride with me or the Pathfinder pushes, as you basically start were you want to be anyway, loosing a lot of their potential power. 

From my point of view, good targets for Riding with me are Basse, Austera. The idea is actually to press the enemy hard with shooting. Our gang shouldn't spend Action Points on movement. We want you to force the enemy to come to us by shooting at his models already from the first activation of the first tourn. Keeping enemy models from close combat with shooters will be Worm, Traps, Bernadette and Austera.

On 2/22/2022 at 12:44 AM, hydranixx said:

I'm completely in awe how long that game took.

Was your opponent playing a new crew, or what? 

Nah, we were playing a friendly game and we purposefully started around 1pm. We had a lunch break and paused for a cigarette after each round. He took a while to figure out how to approach double negatives on his Leveticus attacks though and I took an equal time to figure out how I want to deal with his A&D and his deso engine. 

On 2/22/2022 at 7:11 AM, Corwin Black said:

I also like to play Austringer. Therefore, I would recommend looking at the Austera and Twigge. She also has higher damage on an attack that ignores everything, and she has more tactical options.

From my point of view, good targets for Riding with me are Basse, Austera. The idea is actually to press the enemy hard with shooting. Our gang shouldn't spend Action Points on movement. We want you to force the enemy to come to us by shooting at his models already from the first activation of the first tourn. Keeping enemy models from close combat with shooters will be Worm, Traps, Bernadette and Austera.

How do you score though? Like what schemes go with that strategy? 

Cause I will often times try to get 3 points turn 2 and play a denial game afterwards, but I need speed to accomplish that so I can answer his threats appropriately. Austringers only do damage and very little else. I can see Austera, as she is a lot more versatile, but she also costs a stone more. I use my threat of Basse (1 or 2) and Reichhart to keep my opponent from approaching me. Why force him to come, its much easier to discourage him. Traps and Pathfinders also do a great for that.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:04 PM, Usjdkdb said:

How do you score though? Like what schemes go with that strategy? 

Cause I will often times try to get 3 points turn 2 and play a denial game afterwards, but I need speed to accomplish that so I can answer his threats appropriately. Austringers only do damage and very little else. I can see Austera, as she is a lot more versatile, but she also costs a stone more. I use my threat of Basse (1 or 2) and Reichhart to keep my opponent from approaching me. Why force him to come, its much easier to discourage him. Traps and Pathfinders also do a great for that.

Austringers are usually a free vendetta point. and their unimpeded and the ability to drop the bird means they are usually surviving well enough to score the 2nd point. 

17 minutes ago, im_open_to_suggestions said:

Austringers are usually a free vendetta point. and their unimpeded and the ability to drop the bird means they are usually surviving well enough to score the 2nd point. 

Ok, that makes sense. I should probably try them out again. Still not buying into the shot at enemy so he runs at you thing. 

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

I would't play a Basse list without:

-Pearl Musgrow (you need her for healing)

-A pool of 3-7ss depending if is a solo Basse list or Basse + Reichart.

I would like to play something like this:

Size: 50 - Pool: 3
Leader:
  Cornelius Basse, Badlands Sheriff
Totem(s):
  Bernadette Basse
Hires:
  Mr. Ngaatoro
  Sand Worm
  Pearl Musgrove
  Austera and Twigge
  Austringer
    Skybound Ally
  Pathfinder
    Flush with Cash

With Pathfinder + Austera + Ngaatoro's Obey you should get a good hand and 2 or 3ss during the game.

Pearl for healing when removing Dust or other markers within 6".

Sandworm (with A&T + Austringer's bonus shoot) hunting enemies scheme runners.

And Basse trying to be very disruptive with enemies. With his TN+2 and his shooting/shockwaves.