Swamp hag, first impressions and mysterious'

Kiryn

Had my first game with swamp hag. Wedge corrupted against guild Hoffman.

Won 7-5.

Think she is good but was mostly impressed with the kurgan particularly with the emissary and waldergeist and think that original zoraida will be much better with kurgan too. Seems mostly swamp hag is just sculpting your hand which a bokor can do.  Lost knowledge seal fate is definitely good but maybe not a deal breaker. I enjoyed playing swamp hag for sure and she's definitely a little more straightforward.

One thing that did come up was summoning the mysterious effigy. It's says you can't hire an effigy if you have the emissary but is there anything to stop you summoning mysterious if you hired the emissary....I can't see why not.

• Kiryn changed the title to Swamp hag, first impressions and mysterious'

I've had a game against Zoraida2, and I must say she seems like a solid master with a lot of tricks up her sleeve, not just the hand sculpting. With a huge pool of summoning options requiring very little resources to do, she can adapt to many different situations. Also she is extremely action efficient when it comes to schemes/strats that require interact action and/or mobility if you bring silurids/first mate due to moth witch.

Mysterious Effigy is one of weakest to summon, Intrepid is probably the most universally good, Arcane is good for Dispel and Negation Aura, Carrion is good for its aura.

I've had 5 games with Z2 and think she's fun, but less outright powerful. Knowing what to Fate Seal and what to summon are where you get the juice, so she's definitely a thinking player's master.

54 minutes ago, SEV said:

My top summon with Z2 :

Mannequin (by far)

intrepid (generally good)

Arcane/Shadow/Carrion (utility)

hogepodge (rarely since Mannequin/Intrepid are better).

I'm curious, what are you using them for to make them so good? Granted, summoning a Take the Hit model with a heal to back up something holding a point is a good plan, but I'm getting stuck on their heal being Living only, and that's only 5 models in the keyword besides Zoraida.

It's true that the living only part of their healing is annoying. Preparation is a great trigger though... Most of the time I summon a mannequin to protect Z herself (and maybe a backfield Bokor). With a mannequin nearby, Z is almost unkillable.

I forgot to mention Voodoo Doll... Obviously it's not you main plan (if it is, you're better with Z1) but if you have a juicy Mojo target within 12 of Z, it's often the right play to summon the little guy. 

To be honest I would have the hodgepodge a lot more often, the heal is just universally better. The living restriction on mannequin is too much of an issue as that also includes preparations.

I appreciate the mysterious is not an often summon it was more a question of whether it can be summoned. The app didn't like it when I had emissary in the crew.

Definitely like the voodoo doll still for sure.

Shadow has potential to be awesome. Remember the mission can be so strong.

As someone who has played with the Hodgepodge Effigy, the heal is NOT universally better by any stretch of the imagination.  Having to hit a 5 is way, way, way easier than having to hit a 7. 

It seems like a dumb distinction, but the chances of it failing are 50% higher, and the card you have to pitch if you want it anyway can be way more punishing.

I hate TN 7s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

It's the living only restriction that is the problem I have with the mannequin.

Neither the kurgan nor the emissary are living and they are likely my Frontline. The first mate is living but unlikely to be in range for a heal in any event. Even bad juju, who I don't rate overly highly is not living.

That's my issue, so the mannequin can heal waldergeist and zoraida and that's about it.