Lie, the Eighth Sin

EmeraldWeb

I couldn't find where the fan content thread is in the forum, so I posted here.

Small talk in chat became an idea for creation 8s Sin for the Explorer's Society
Meet the "Lie" - conférencier/entertainer of musical band (and maybe a new producer)
LIE.thumb.JPG.a47c651757a577d8fbda4670cd9fd876.JPG

The character's image was based on several ideas:
- "Eighth" means non-typical Sin, so i can move away a little in some moments (attachment to music, only one keyword)
- Lie's like Sin. No, I will not strictly follow the ideas of Christianity in this matter. Rather, I follow the thought that a lie is the same passion as anger, it is similarly possible to get deeply carried away from your own lie and the soul of a person also suffers.
- I make
révérence for M2E, where are all Sin's were been Tormentend, so I gave dual keyword for this guy 
- I gave him the attributes of punishment, torture for lying: the Pear of Anguish, the face torn apart by the pear, and the Mask of Shame.

- And, of course, put it on in a luxurious, presentable suit of the late 19th, early 20th centuries

lie-final.thumb.jpg.a30f87886249dabeb4dcdd491f14b709.jpg

Upgrade: The Mask of Shame

Plentifull (1), Cursed, Shame
- Tormented: This model has the Tormented Keyword
- Mocked by the crowd: At start of this model Activation, this model must discard a card or cannot use it's Tactical Action's this Activation
- Wash away the shame: At the end of this model Activation, this model may discard a card to get Slow and discard this Upgrade

This model is a good boost for keyword synergy of Crossroads and Tormented, and for Society, who has a lot of Distracted and Poison condition, and some Burning too.
Partially protects against keywords which stacked Poison/Burning/Distracted conditions (Brewmaster, McMourning, Kaeris, Reva, Ivan).
Awesome for Tormentend - card discards, upgrade, card draw, etc. And maybe some synergy with Lust and Pride will be to strong...

Of course, it's prototype, an idea. This is not a "perfect model for perfect balance". 

What do you think about it? Do you like it or not?

• Like 1

Looks very cool. My only suggestion would be that you should find a way to fit Aura of Deception in there:

ZTa6VEu.png

Also, I think that "Consumed by Lie" is too weak for a Sin token aura. It should probably just discard a token and then do damage, no need to remove the condition IMO.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Jinn said:

Looks very cool. My only suggestion would be that you should find a way to fit Aura of Deception in there:

ZTa6VEu.png

Also, I think that "Consumed by Lie" is too weak for a Sin token aura. It should probably just discard a token and then do damage, no need to remove the condition IMO.

Thank you! I really want smthg like this aura or Double-cross ability, but Crossroads models have a small set of tools
Maybe it's not so powerful - need tests of prototype.
And maybe Wyrd guys will be interested in this character? 😉 

I don't really see the connection between lying and gaining conditions. It makes a huge disconnect in the theme of the model for me, which is a shame as the crossroads 7 are theme heavy in general. 

I would look for a way to make manipulative continue to apply (although Serene Countenece doesn't sound as lying based, so maybe a trigger to make the model not count as activated for its Manipulative ability)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Adran said:

I don't really see the connection between lying and gaining conditions. It makes a huge disconnect in the theme of the model for me, which is a shame as the crossroads 7 are theme heavy in general. 

I would look for a way to make manipulative continue to apply (although Serene Countenece doesn't sound as lying based, so maybe a trigger to make the model not count as activated for its Manipulative ability)

Well there's a huge narrative connection between lying and Poison (poisonous words), and it could work for several others like Stunned, Distracted, Shielded, Staggered, and Adversary. The only disconnect is Burning (most often associated with truth, although maybe you could do something with "red in the face" for embarrassment or "liar liar pants on fire"), and I think the only reason that's been put there is because of Elemental Backlash. Reworking it to be Poison, Distracted and one other condition (Staggering revelation? Shocking rumour for Stunned? Comforting lies for Shielded maybe? Adversary for the whole prince of lies angle...) would be better I think.

You could put a few Slander triggers in there as well ("Target gains Distracted +1. If the target is within :aura2 of a Scheme Marker, it suffers 1 damage."), although you'd need to add scheme marker synergy, and now that I think about it that would be a good direction to go in for a "Deceit" model. That might step on Gluttony's toes though.

I'd say add the "Fake News" trigger but it's too powerful for a non-master/a versatile model to have I think. It would be great thematically though. There's so much fodder for a good lying themed model to be honest.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 2:24 PM, Adran said:

Jinn was described the idea behind Conditions pretty well. And as I think, connection/correspondence between game mechanic and lore is important, but not necessary - look at Lust, she deals her Sin Tokens for card draw. Is it ... hmmm... "sexy" or "lustfully" to draw some cards? In game our deck symbolise fate's of characters, not some forms of attraction, of course, unless you play Saloon Fate Deck 😉

On 9/6/2021 at 2:24 PM, Adran said:

Very cool idea (but even if it stay to the End of Turn, there still exist Ruthless Ability)

I don't know why, but my previous message isnt saved 😭 so I will shorten this message, because language issues T_T

On 9/6/2021 at 3:17 PM, Jinn said:

Well there's a huge narrative connection between lying and Poison (poisonous words), and it could work for several others like Stunned, Distracted, Shielded, Staggered, and Adversary. The only disconnect is Burning (most often associated with truth, although maybe you could do something with "red in the face" for embarrassment or "liar liar pants on fire"), and I think the only reason that's been put there is because of Elemental Backlash

You are mind reader! 😀 Except for the Backlash - I found it later

You could put a few Slander triggers in there as well

Thank you, that's a very nice trigger, I will definitely add it if I do the second iteration of the character!

'd say add the "Fake News" trigger but it's too powerful for a non-master/a versatile model to have I think. It would be great thematically though. There's so much fodder for a good lying themed model to be honest.

Yep, this trigger looks too much powerfull, even if it used on just "Enemy only" actions, there still exist Guilty, which may count as Enemy