Neverborn in July VWS!

Maniacal_cackle

I was going to name this thread "the traitor's return" since I'm back to Neverborn for July VWS, but then thought it is probably better if it is a thread for everyone!

So here's the pool for round 1:

image.thumb.png.31013677fc33e47323087f5c58778c0d.png

What are people thinking? I'm planning on soloing Neverborn Marcus this month, but we'll see how quickly I get tired of losing 😜

Those cacti are impassable, so flight plays well with them. That's some massive forests, but the wedge start and pool largely negates them. Assassinate is a scheme I hate to see, but can play around it. Still working on a list!

What's everyone else thinking? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay, I've tried tons of lists (and actually played 3 of them) for round 1. For example...

• Cojo
  • Mysterious Emissary
  • Order initiate
  • Myranda
  • Grootslang

Or...

• Myranda
  • Cojo
  • Aeslin
  • Mysterious Emissary
    Will o'the Wisp

Or...

• Hooded Rider
  • Mysterious Emissary
  • Scorpius
  • Bandersnatch
  • Myranda

The second list seems really good for controlling the centre against melee crews, especially if I'm attacker and can pick deployment zone.

The third one was against a Titania list, since I was going to try my Aeslin list and thought it was a bad idea against Titania 😜 It felt really good.

I am definitely liking the idea of fewer beasts, more versatiles & ooks. Less pressure on the upgrades, and more standalone models that can just dominate the table without support from Marcus & Myranda.

Bandersnatch also works a lot better now that I've listened to Roadhouse in regards to how to play it xD

Why Aeslin in list 2? For scheme markers? Will you have enough stones left to guarantee it. Haven't done the maths for your cache.

I've found that waldergeist can be great I'm break, they place the underbrush near the marker and can get two turns of pushing it with a free ambush. They are also fairly resilient and can heave enemy off if they get blocked.

6 minutes ago, Kiryn said:

Why Aeslin in list 2? For scheme markers? Will you have enough stones left to guarantee it. Haven't done the maths for your cache.

I've found that waldergeist can be great I'm break, they place the underbrush near the marker and can get two turns of pushing it with a free ambush. They are also fairly resilient and can heave enemy off if they get blocked.

It was originally for detonate charges, and then I figured that's a fool's game anyway.

However, creates underbrush markers (this map has really good chokepoints) and also then can throw people into markers for mysterious emissary to tear them apart.

Also gives a ranged attack option to nuke the centre from a bit further away.

Basically this pool seems very much like one where you have to be ready for an opponent to camp the centre, and so the Aeslin list puts up a good fight for the centre I think.

7 hours ago, Devious Carnival said:

@Maniacal_cackle I just started playing Malifaux and went all in on Neverborn Marcus, so have really been appreciating your posts on him! Was curious what the advice you got was on how to play Bandersnatch that made him work well? Want to learn everything I can!

So I used to go after high priority (I.e. strong) models with bandersnatch and it just died to a few hits.

Now I send it after smaller things like scheme runners, and it can kill them and then focus on scheming. My bandersnatch last game killed a waldgeist and then scoring 3 points.

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

So I used to go after high priority (I.e. strong) models with bandersnatch and it just died to a few hits.

Now I send it after smaller things like scheme runners, and it can kill them and then focus on scheming. My bandersnatch last game killed a waldgeist and then scoring 3 points.

Nice. Yea that makes good sense, thanks!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devious Carnival said:

Nice. Yea that makes good sense, thanks!

Oh, one more thing - Bandersnatch is a LOT better in pools with research mission and strategy markers.

Even if the opponent doesn't let anything squishy near it, it is good if it can swap to scoring points. Research mission is a dream come true for bandy.

3 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oh, one more thing - Bandersnatch is a LOT better in pools with research mission and strategy markers.

Even if the opponent doesn't let anything squishy near it, it is good if it can swap to scoring points. Research mission is a dream come true for bandy.

Haha yea I can certainly see that. Haven't picked research mission yet but will keep an eye out for it. Do you always take the same upgrades or flex? I assume horns is a given but could see armor being better if you plan to focus more on hunting things vs camo or wings if you plan to scheme more and depending on the terrain or ranged threats.

5 minutes ago, Devious Carnival said:

Haha yea I can certainly see that. Haven't picked research mission yet but will keep an eye out for it. Do you always take the same upgrades or flex? I assume horns is a given but could see armor being better if you plan to focus more on hunting things vs camo or wings if you plan to scheme more and depending on the terrain or ranged threats.

First several games I always did the same thing.

As I got better, I started each game with a fresh game plan and stuck to it.

Now I'm much more flexible and start with a game plan but update it each turn (for example, I want bandersnatch to come in soon, can I cycle camo off myranda to give her butterfly jump, then give camo to bandy to keep it safe for the trip?)

But upgrades aren't the priority after Marcus' second activation, so I tend to try to get a setup that is good, but has room to be juggled around if the opportunity arises.

At a minimum, you want to understand how the upgrades relate to your models and the matchup.

Bandersnatch always benefits from horns, but if he is against molly's Lethes caress suddenly it isn't as good. Myranda likes horns but it isn't as good against Titania's cruel disappointment. Camouflage doesn't stop most of Titanias attacks, but does reduce her to a 6 inch attack range instead of 8.

If you understand that, you can get the upgrades in roughly the right spot that should be good enough for most of the game.

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

At a minimum, you want to understand how the upgrades relate to your models and the matchup.

Bandersnatch always benefits from horns, but if he is against molly's Lethes caress suddenly it isn't as good. Myranda likes horns but it isn't as good against Titania's cruel disappointment. Camouflage doesn't stop most of Titanias attacks, but does reduce her to a 6 inch attack range instead of 8.

If you understand that, you can get the upgrades in roughly the right spot that should be good enough for most of the game.

Appreciate it. I also really like the idea of adding in more versatile or OOK to put less pressure on upgrades. I dont have Emissary or Aeslin yet but I have the rider, Serena, and Hinamatsu (and widow). Want to try some games with fewer beasts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devious Carnival said:

Appreciate it. I also really like the idea of adding in more versatile or OOK to put less pressure on upgrades. I dont have Emissary or Aeslin yet but I have the rider, Serena, and Hinamatsu (and widow). Want to try some games with fewer beasts.

Yeah, i think serena and hinamatsu probably are great fits for the crew (although serena's healing may not be needed with myranda's healing, the condition removal is nice).

6 hours ago, SEV said:

I really like the 3rd list. I'm a big fan of Scorpius! WW could be really good here. But that mean cutting the rider... GL.

Yeah, I love the Scorpius, but it is very situational. I was against Titania so it seemed good but risky. Paid off in the end :)

WW is good with spider and i considered it, but on Wedge I think it is overkill. Can get around just fine without her.

I'm against Andorman's Lady Justice, making it my first game against a Lady J!

My list:

• Marcus Ancient Pact
  • Jackalope
  • Myranda Ancient Pact
  • The Scorpius
  • Hinamatsu
  • Mysterious Emissary
  • Bandersnatch
  • 4 stones

His list:

• Lady J + Lead Lined Coat
  • Scales of justice
  • The Jury
  • The Lone Marshal
  • Pale rider
  • Guild Lawyer
  • Brutal Effigy
  • 9 stones

He went for double obey because he can obey my models to drop upgrades. Anticipating that, I went minimal on keyword models, but still have some vulnerability. Going to be a very tight finesse game I think!

48 minutes ago, Kiryn said:

Like that list. You'll be wanting camo out pretty quick I guess.

Don't suppose you'll be recording the game?

I got the software for last month, so I might as well! Hopefully there'll be no issues with the video quality xD

Also I tend to fidget the screen a lot xD

And yeah, camo looks to be super important, even though it does very little against Lady J without Wings.

Saw the twitching in your game against Kharnage....wasn't an issue though and was a good game to watch.

Camo will make it more difficult for marshal and rider at least but yeah you're going to eat some greatsword regardless I think butterfly jump will help with that a little I guess.

Look forward to seeing the game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grundil said:

One surprise for me in LJ list : no emissary. i hate brutal emissary when i play Marcus cause of crowd control but i'm not the biggest player.^^

Yeah, that could be a little annoying, but I could still work around it I think. It would make it seriously annoying to take the centre xD

But often if something is engaged I can't command it to charge anyway, so then I'd have to command it to get out + charge, which is the same result.