Ressers in June - Push for Top 16!!

This month is a big one. For many of us, it could be the defining month that determines whether we hit Top 16!

I believe currently we have two players in the Top 16 for Ressers: Pergli and IronmanKC81! Trailing behind them is our beloved Molly player... Me xD

But whatever your rank, the main point of this series is fun! So let's have a space for all to be involved (even if you're not participating in the month). Feel free to share opinions or questions here. Here's the pool for round 1:

• Map: Quarantine Zone
    • Note there is a LOT of blocking buildings here, be careful to not get stuck!
  • Standard Break The Line
    • Claim Jump
    • Catch and Release
    • Let them Bleed
    • Research Mission
    • Bait and Switch

What are we thinking? :)

The terrain is super important this matchup. I'm considering...

• Incorporeal and flying models to ignore the terrain.
  • Leap models to weave between the buildings.
  • Carrion Emissary to block walkways.

The scheme pool had me leaning towards Reva a bit, but I'm against Bayou and didn't want to play a marker crew into the best marker-removal faction. So, surprise surprise, I went for Molly 😜

So it'll be Molly vs. Zipp! Which works out incredibly well. Zipp could just completely block off passages for crews to walk through, but Molly can turn that into card draw. So feeling pretty good about the matchup, even though I've never played against Bayou Zipp with Ressers before.

@Maniacal_cackle: your only way to the top 16 was obviously NB Marcus... You're doom now.

Kidding, GL.  Bayou Zipp is annoying. Be careful, he can put a lot of damage quickly into your crew and his really hard to pin down... Molly has a good center to piano... But a) he and Earl can drop a lot of Piano; b) he doesn't need to to be efficient; c) he can kill Molly...

It's one of the crew with the most 2" engagement range. Also up we go allow to reposition models for easy bait and switch. I would avoid research and Claim jump if I was the Zipp player but beside that everything is doable. 

Finally he'll have a lot of Flyers (or Leaper since he'll hire TFM), so I'm not sure Emissary will work as intended (especially since he can just fly with me his ground troopers).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SEV said:

Finally he'll have a lot of Flyers (or Leaper since he'll hire TFM), so I'm not sure Emissary will work as intended (especially since he can just fly with me his ground troopers).

Yeah, I decided to go the route of flyers and leapers myself as soon as I saw Zipp xD

My list:

• Molly + Whisper + Machine
  • Rogue Necromancy (for Big Brain Brin)
  • Manos
  • Archie
  • Yin
  • Crooligan
  • Crooligan
  • 2 stones

His list:

• Captain Zipp with 12 Cups + Earl
    • So Diversion aura, no leaping around Zipp :(
  • First Mate
  • Francois Lacroix w/ Inferiority Complex
  • Iron Skeeter
  • Bayou Gremlin
    • ?????
  • Gautraeux Bokor
  • Silurid
  • 4 stones

No idea what the Gremlin is doing in the list... But Bokor, Gremlin, Skeeter, and Silurid all seem like things I can manage. First mate I can kind of manage (in that I just ignore it and bog it down, or kill it if it gets bold). Francois is a massive pain in the rump but also a good opportunity. If he mispositions Francois, he could be down to 0 stones turn 1 😜

I assume the Iron Skeeter is with Francois for mobility purposes, so if I stagger Francois, he is sad?

On 5/27/2021 at 8:30 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Yeah, I decided to go the route of flyers and leapers myself as soon as I saw Zipp xD

My list:

• Molly + Whisper + Machine
  • Rogue Necromancy (for Big Brain Brin)
  • Manos
  • Archie
  • Yin
  • Crooligan
  • Crooligan
  • 2 stones

His list:

• Captain Zipp with 12 Cups + Earl
    • So Diversion aura, no leaping around Zipp :(
  • First Mate
  • Francois Lacroix w/ Inferiority Complex
  • Iron Skeeter
  • Bayou Gremlin
    • ?????
  • Gautraeux Bokor
  • Silurid
  • 4 stones

No idea what the Gremlin is doing in the list... But Bokor, Gremlin, Skeeter, and Silurid all seem like things I can manage. First mate I can kind of manage (in that I just ignore it and bog it down, or kill it if it gets bold). Francois is a massive pain in the rump but also a good opportunity. If he mispositions Francois, he could be down to 0 stones turn 1 😜

I assume the Iron Skeeter is with Francois for mobility purposes, so if I stagger Francois, he is sad?

So how did the game go?? Seems an odd Zipp list but I come from OC Zipp

So my game plan was:

1. Kill his small stuff.
    • Get near the silurid, hit it once with archie, use a crooligan to finish it off.
    • Get halfway up the board turn 1, then kill the Bokor early turn 2.
  2. Drain/steal his stones so Francois and First Mate can be dealt with.
  3. Then just tie him up as he has nothing left to score with.

Part 1 resulted in Archie and Manos getting too far up the board. Archie got single-activationed by Francois turn 1.

But a few black jokers against him and a few red jokers for me put me back in the fight. So I proceeded with the plan (used a Necrotic Machine to get close to the silurid so a crooligan could teleport and finish off its last three health).

Yin killed Earl pretty easily. And various models got the Iron Skeeter low, then it eventually died to poison, so it couldn't scheme after that either. At that point all he had left to move markers was First Mate and Francois.

Bokor drew a billion cards, and then I just activated Molly after the Bokor whenever I could, so he was powering up my card draw as well. Although he had just some awful luck with his draws (although I think I had two turns where my highest card in the initial 6 was a 10).

Manos kept just running away from danger to regen, and thanks to those two black jokers he just barely failed to kill Manos each time. Needless to say, my two stones were not enough to protect him and I had expected to drain more stones turn 2, but Francois used up all but one stone by then.

So some lucky breaks coupled with capitalising on those lucky breaks handed me the win.

5-2 to me, although feels a bit of a hollow victory since it was one of those rare games where the jokers just completely saved me at every turn. Interestingly neither of us managed to red joker a damage flip the entire game either, but there were a lot of black jokers xD

Well, Ressers are taking a bit of a beating this round. I don't think we've had any other wins yet this round, although we still have Pergli and one other person to go.

But I'm starting to think about Round 2, so here's what we're looking at:

Map Floodlands

aCfUyNt51KxwdpW8EgTJBB81WDkeMIMFWD-F6zgxZYy4RDQnVYkMvMo1lfMyREXhWZ1bv0PdghrTbQcB8J_T3buVhNav8xV73N343L_y2UP8Ka4m3-R1pPYqp_c_oAy5hxONMYA

• Wedge: Symbols of Authority 
    • Hidden Martyrs
    • Detonate charges 
    • Breakthrough
    • Vendetta
    • Spread them out

This map has a huge amount of severe terrain. And while you can work around it, generally it is a LOT easier to play this map with stuff that ignores the terrain. Leap is pretty good, but there's plenty of awkward spots for leaping. Flight and unimpeded are absolutely golden.

Dead Rider, Student of Viscera, and Yin all seem very good on this map.

So naturally, for me, it is a Molly pool 😜 It is a very scheme-marker heavy pool, and these are two of the kill-y schemes that Molly loves to see. I would also be pretty comfortable taking Reva into this pool, I think. Seamus also seems okay, but it'd be quite easy to keep the symbols in really difficult to reach places. But Seamus with the Dead Rider/Yin combo probably could pull it off?

Experimental would just cry about all the severe terrain. Big bases with no unimpeded. So don't think this is a pool for Experimental.

Would love to hear other people's thoughts!

7 hours ago, zeffid said:

Are you forgetting about Kirai and all her incorporeal spirits? She might not be the best into this scheme pool but she’d be my master of choice into this terrain.

Wondering about this more, any idea what sort of list you'd take or what sorts of schemes you'd go after?  I know Ikiryo/lost love can be a potent hidden martyrs combo, although often I just ignore Ikiryo if facing that combo.

19 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Wondering about this more, any idea what sort of list you'd take or what sorts of schemes you'd go after?  I know Ikiryo/lost love can be a potent hidden martyrs combo, although often I just ignore Ikiryo if facing that combo.

Let's talk about schemes first. The pools seems to be quite scheme-marker-placement heavy. This gives a high actions-tax on Kirai's keyword that does not have too many tools to place two scheme markers per activation or as some kind of bonus. So I'm looking to have only one of the following three: Detonate / Breakthrough / Spread. Which one is a personal preference and often depends on the opponent.  I will take Spread them Out against an opponent who likes bubbling even that means I need to place a whopping 6 scheme markers to score it (compared to 2 others). For the other scheme Vendetta comes naturally. I really dislike HM with the keyword models being kinda fragile and I often have a very hard time scoring the second point.
Now looking at the strategy I'm thinking of high mobility models to interact with enemy markers once-a-turn. Important is that I need tools to reliably disengage them. If they can also place some schemes at the same time - even better.

So comes the list:

I always start with 2 Seishin and a Whisper on Kirai and decide if I need less/more later.

Then I want Datsu Ba for Vendetta as she does that perfectly well. This also means Lost Love goes in for healing. He is uber-useful to remove enemy schemes.

I like Shikome with Killer Instinct (I know it costs a lot) to do some dirty work schemeing. She can always disengage with Deadly Pursuit and has enough teeth to scare off other schemers.

Then I feel like Manos or Dead Rider fill in the OOK slot. Both work fine and has their own angles. Let's take Manos this time. I need to mention Dead Rider ignores this map almost completely producing even better mobility and some tricks.

That leaves me with 11 points for tooling (only 10 with DR) and I'm quite happy with that. I'm topping it off with Onyro and another Seishin for increased mobility and a few more schemeing actions but this may be different depending on the oppfor.

4 Stones.

WDYT? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zeffid said:

Let's talk about schemes first. The pools seems to be quite scheme-marker-placement heavy. This gives a high actions-tax on Kirai's keyword that does not have too many tools to place two scheme markers per activation or as some kind of bonus. So I'm looking to have only on of the following three: Detonate / Breakthrough / Spread. Which one is a personal preference and often depends on the opponent.  I will take Spread them Out against an opponent who likes bubbling even that means I need to place a whopping 6 scheme markers to score it (compared to 2 others). For the other scheme Vendetta comes naturally. I really dislike HM with the keyword models being kinda fragile and I often have a very hard time scoring the second point.
Now looking at the strategy I'm thinking of high mobility models to interact with enemy markers once-a-turn. Important is that I need tools to reliably disengage them. If they can also place some schemes at the same time - even better.

So comes the list:

I always start with 2 Seishin and a Whisper on Kirai and decide if I need less/more later.

Then I want Datsu Ba for Vendetta as she does that perfectly well. This also means Lost Love goes in for healing. He is uber-useful to remove enemy schemes as well.

I like Shikome with Killer Instinct (I know it costs a lot) to do some dirty work schemeing. She can always disengage with Deadly Pursuit and has enough teeth to scare off other schemers.

Then I feel like Manos or Dead Rider fill in the OOK slot. Both work fine and has their own angles. Let's take Manos this time. I need to mention Dead Rider ignores this map almost completely producing even better mobility and some tricks.

That leaves me with 11 points for tooling (only 10 with DR) and I'm quite happy with that. I'm topping it off with Onyro and another Seishin for increased mobility and a few more schemeing actions but this may be different depending on the oppfor.

4 Stones.

WDYT? 

I like it, although I don't know much about Kirai. I had assumed she would be more the sort to have a 7 stone pool? Does it not matter as much since she has protected?

1 minute ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I like it, although I don't know much about Kirai. I had assumed she would be more the sort to have a 7 stone pool? Does it not matter as much since she has protected?

My Stone economy with Kirai is quite simple: I need three or less stones per game for summons. This accounts for the fact that with your starting hand + whisper you often see the right card on hand (9+ crows - as Drowned is already a great summon). Any extra stones goes for protecting Kirai or Vendetta in case I over-expose myself. I play Kirai quite aggressively I must say and I'm not afraid to lose her on turn 4 if my opponent overexposes or wastes actions to get her.
A bonus action from Killer Instinct will give me another stone or two on occasion.
So overall I'm fully ok to start a game with only 3 stones.

• Like 1

Another victory for Ressers!

Scored 4-1, Molly against Titania. A quote from my opponent:

You have a great personality, but your playstyle makes me want to stab babies. 

I just played hardcore denial and ran away from him all game. I refused to kill anything (except Titania and one Waldgeist) because I didn't want to proc Hidden Martyrs.

My final plan if necessary was to run Manos into Molly and stab her twice to kill her so that he had no valid targets to score endgame point on Martyrs... So, needless to say, he was frustrated by the playstyle and I achieved the above quote :D

• Haha 4

Kenny (Noahscape/ironman) and Bryan (personalglitch/pergli) have also completed their games and are now 1-0-1 each.

Pergli tried taking Vincent into Asami, but then Asami played a hyper aggressive, low summon playstyle I believe and just completely blew out the game. But I just saw a quick summary on Discord, so not sure.

I think there are a few other ressers floating around, but not sure of their user names.

So here's round 3!

Map Dig Site

Qa5wx185RTu5KFjm_tDi1l4WwH6FPR1dNogGdknq6OFFCsxEvJtlI9qWzRAssA7vSqK4F_O_VROHz66N9jx3200Z_Irf9S0pCKnQ0uwbmV7x5JVzjdX2hAZ1p3BxL3UIruuX4PM

Flank Public Enemies

• Let them bleed
  • Outflank
  • Death Beds
  • Catch and release
  • Assassinate

Now there is a denial pool if I ever saw one xD