Second Master for Cheap

bdbrutus

I currently run Misaki as my 10T master but would like to at least have one more to chose from in 10T.  BUT I don't want to have to buy a ton of new models.  Currently I have all of the Last Blossom models as well as most of the versatile 10T.  Also a Mr. Graves.

Thoughts on how to have a second 10T master on the cheap?

Any other TT master you buy will be playable from the box with a few other models (which you already have). Obviously Versitile hires would be cheaper than Last Blossom hires, but that's not essential.

Asami is probably going to be the most expensive purchase as you are likely to want to buy her oni options to summon, but the others are certainly going to be playable and have decent options just from what you already own.

In the long term Mei and Yan Lo are likely to lead you towards purchases from other factions as their keyword is spread. McCabe is likely to do the same because I expect that there will be explorers Guild wastrels as he has the smallest keyword at the moment. But I believe each is perfectly playable with only TT models.

That leaves Shenlong, Youko and Lynch, who are all likely to be ok with what you have.

2 hours ago, Adran said:

That leaves Shenlong, Youko and Lynch, who are all likely to be ok with what you have.

When Explorer's Society drops, there most likely will be more Wastral models to acquire.

We're still waiting on the release of Kabuki Warriors for Qi and Gong.

Monks are the only one of those three that has all its models potentially available now.

5 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

We're still waiting on the release of Kabuki Warriors for Qi and Gong.

Monks are the only one of those three that has all its models potentially available now.

The OP wants a master they can play without having to buy more stuff, so I don't think the availability of all options for that master matters that much.

In my opinion the cost isn't to different between masters with some exception  :

Asami : wants the Core (60), Joro (40), Akaname (20) , Tengu + the squirrel (30) , Ama+Obsidian (50) and the Minako box that you already have . Tot: 200ish 

This is one of the exceptions 

Mei : 4 Boxes here. Core (50) , Metal dudes (50?) [Not necessary in my opinion ] , Henry+Willie (25) , Sparks & Co. (50) . Tot: 175ish , 125ish without the Gamins 

Yan Lo: Core(60) , Eternal (50) , Sun+Chiaki (40) . Tot: 150

Shen : Core (60) , Monks Wand+Low (40) , Fermented (25) , Lotus (25) , Charm (20). Tot: 150ish

Youko : Core (50) , Kunoichi (25) , Kabuki +bunrako maybe (40), Charm (20) , Hinamatsu (15) . Tot: 150ish

Lynch : Core (60) , Dark Dealings (40) , Gwen+Becks (35?) . Tot: 135ish

McCabe : Core (50) , Hench+Hucks (30ish). Tot: 80 for now , expect more . 

Versatiles : 150ish already out, Samurai and Lone will come together I think with a 30 pack

As you can see the costs don't change to much , even buying everything. And you need to do than in lot of cases. Exceptions are the Gamins form Mei and the Fermented from Shen . You want everything else.

150 cost is the middle ground , it is the same in every faction .

13 hours ago, bdbrutus said:

I currently run Misaki as my 10T master but would like to at least have one more to chose from in 10T.  BUT I don't want to have to buy a ton of new models.  Currently I have all of the Last Blossom models as well as most of the versatile 10T.  Also a Mr. Graves.

Thoughts on how to have a second 10T master on the cheap?

Definitely Shenlong. He does better with strongest versatiles than with his monks. the only monk to consider on a budget is Low River Monk - maybe you can buy a single model from someone.

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2020 at 3:21 AM, bdbrutus said:

Thanks everyone, it seemed like Lynch and/or shenlong made the most sense.  Looks like Shen  may win it!   

Give Lynch a second thought. He’ll give you more variation in playstyle compared to Misaki. He’s a tricksy guy with cards up his sleeve, rather than the more straightforward kung fu champ. 

• Agree 1