Coming back, with a "plan" *cross post*

farmoar

Hello fellow Wyrdos!

I am coming back to the game after a hiatus midway through 2E. Between a close friend talking me back in, and a better gaming group locally, I am back to avoiding the Black Joker.

Back with one major caveat this time; a self-imposed limitation for buying models. Last time I played, I had a very Pokemon-esque "gotta buy 'em all" mentality, which led to several still NIB models that were never built, let alone painted or put on a table.

I would like to avoid that this time, and have decided to limit myself to only models that I can fit into my standard Malifaux Battlefoam bag (https://us.battlefoam.com/malifaux-bag-standard-load-out/, or 62 pre-cut slots and a pluck foam tray for larger models). From some preliminary perusing of the forums and podcasts, I believe I can get 6 Masters/playstyles over 3 Factions (Outcasts, Resurrectionists and Ten Thunders). This is a combination of what was available to me nearby, what looked fun to play and what caught my eye.

I don't imagine that this limitation will be competitive in any real sense of the word. But it should be good enough to play locally and perhaps in a tournament in a larger city. I just want to know if there is something that I am drastically missing.

Here is what I am looking to get so far, and some explanation where possible:

OUTCASTS

Crazy Cat Lady - couldn't pass up the opportunity to grab the old crazy cat lady when I found someone in the area had it for sale.

Catelin Abernathy (Nightmare Hamelin)

Almost full cat models (missing 4 Alley Cats, and will make a second Cat Princess)

Benny Wolcomb

Ashes and Dust - Still unsure about the Ashes and Dust. Seems like a good scheme runner for the list, that can also act as a scheme runner hunter, and hard to take out beater. This is the most flexible spot, but not sure what to replace it with. Also wary of using 3 spots for 1 ”model”

Prospector

Freikorps Librarian

Super Soldier/Anti Obey – this was from some theoryfaux and forum discussion about pushing the hired master rule to the limit. I can also see a story where Parker and Zipp hire on the Viks and Von Schill to act as a distraction, while they secure the real prize. This also helps balance out the storage restrictions, as the list is only 5 models.

Viks (Easter Bunny alts)

Captain Zipp

Parker Barrows

Von Schill -  the only one I am unsure about is Von Schill. I am happy with the other 4 masters, and felt Von Schill covered the most holes, with different equipment he can give himself. Open to suggestions on whether one of the other masters would be a better fit than him.

RESURRECTIONISTS

Molly’s Pirate Crew – love the idea of a pirate-themed crew, and the models look great

Full Brine and Bones Box

New Brine and Bones themed Rogue Necromancy

Archie (when available, WarmaHordes Swamp Horror until then)

3 Crooligans – are all 3 necessary?

The Forgotten Marshal

Night Terrors – still not sold if they are needed, or maybe just 1 for the occasional summon?

All Elite Seamus – Always wanted to play him in 2E, but didn’t like the look of the rest of his crew.

Alt Seamus

Little Lass as the Copycat Killer

Alt Sybelle

Carrion Emissary

Mindless Zombies

Bete Noire – not sure if she is worth a spot in the bag

1 or 2 Dead Doxy – how often do you field both?

1 Gravedigger – pulse out focus, but is it too cute?

Vincent St Clair – anti-summon tech for both lists

TEN THUNDERS

Honeypot and their Hired Muscle

Jakob Lynch

Hungering Darkness

2 Beckoners

1 Depleted – in case of summon?

Gwyneth Maddox

3 Illuminated – I can see fielding 1, maybe 2. 3 seems like a stretch.

Kitty Dumont

Alt Mr. Tannen

Alt Mr. Graves

2 Samurai

The Lone Swordsman

1 Kabuki Warrior

Shadow Emissary

Yasunori

Yan’s Fam – bonus points for being able to drop in as a sometimes-Resurrectionist (and having some models that work well with Molly and Seamus)

Yan Lo

Chiaki

Soul Porter

3 Gokudo – again, can see fielding 1, maybe 2. The third one seems like a stretch.

Sun Quiang

Manos

Shenlong – seems like a good candidate for a reliquary on turn 1

Yin

Izamu

There we go, my “base” set of models. Is there anything that I am missing? Constructive criticism would be great. Depending on how it goes, I know that I would like to add Minako and her summons (whenever that box is released…). Space permitted, there may even be a way to sneak in a Shenlong list as well (more elite, like some of the recent lists from UK Nationals).

If you are still reading, thanks. Sorry for the slog. 

10 minutes ago, Robbe said:

I heard the Riders are really strong across all factions. Maybe you get a single Rider Model that can be used as any Rider of your factions?

Dead Rider is apparently nuts.

I think if you have Dead Rider + Archie, you could slap that on pretty much any core box and have a casual playable crew.

For Molly, I'd normally skip Rogue Necromancy if you are trying to save space... But you can't NOT get the special edition pirate RN.

You don't need 3 crooligans, two is enough. Similar with night terrors, I imagine you're fine to have less than 4.

I hear Sybelle is bad so you're probably fine to skip her.

4 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

For Molly, I'd normally skip Rogue Necromancy if you are trying to save space... But you can't NOT get the special edition pirate RN.

I know, right? I was completely skipping over Rogue Necromancy, and then Wyrd goes and messes up that plan. He will have to be in the lists now lol

You don't need 3 crooligans, two is enough. Similar with night terrors, I imagine you're fine to have less than 4.

I thought so with the Crooligans, and may take 1 or 2 Night Terrors to be summoned in.

I hear Sybelle is bad so you're probably fine to skip her.

I want Sybelle to be at least passable, since her Alt model is so damned nice.

Oh, also... I don't think Outcasts or TT have a rider? There are only four (Resser, neverborn, arcanist, guild I think).

Not an official rider, but TT has Yasunori. Human on a (flying) horse. Outcasts have the poor man's version, with an old man on a donkey.

I won't talk about model choice, especially not across three factions. But I recommend what I did myself and what many other recommend for (re)starters of the game: if you want to limit your purchases, choose a single faction.

The grass is always greener on the other side (or at least some models). There will always be additional options to buy in a game which allows to mix and match lists for each game. So the temptation to buy more stuff will always be bigger. Instead of 1-2 fixed lists in three factions you could fit a single factions with many playable option in your bag instead.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Graf said:

The grass is always greener on the other side

I am trying to stay away from The Other Side (even though my roommate is trying to bring me in)

6 hours ago, Graf said:

Instead of 1-2 fixed lists in three factions you could fit a single factions with many playable option in your bag instead.

The thing is, short of a few extra masters (Albus and Shenlong), not really interested in a lot of the other choices in the factions.

20 minutes ago, farmoar said:

I am trying to stay away from The Other Side (even though my roommate is trying to bring me in)

The thing is, short of a few extra masters (Albus and Shenlong), not really interested in a lot of the other choices in the factions.

This was meant as a phrase, maybe a pun, I wasn't talking about the game "The Other Side". Sorry if that wasn't clear.

You do you. Just a well meant warning that your approach doesn't look like it will work very well for your goals in my opinion. But if your path is set, I wish you the best of luck and happy gaming!