Nellie Questions:

CustardBomb

Hi all! New guild player here and I have some interaction questions with some of the Journalist abilities which I hope you can all help with!

1. On the 'Exclusive Interview' ability can you choose to allow the opponent to interact under their own control instead of taking control of it yourself? 
2. When Controlling an interact through 'Exclusive Interview' it says it is treated as a friendly model. Does this stop 'Breaking News' and 'Chasing a Story' from triggering when you are controlling an enemy models interact. 
3. With 'Headlines Secrets Exposed' Trigger, It says the enemy MUST take an interact action. I assume this means it must be a successful use of the interact. EG. If the enemy is base to base with one of their own scheme markers (And cannot place a new one as it is within 4 Inches.) Do they have to choose to remove a marker instead since it is the only legal option? or can they simply declare that they are dropping a marker and then failing the action? 

Thanks all! Had my first game with her yesterday and just trying to sort out some questions which came up!

1. Exclusive interview is not optional. You have to control the action.

2. It does unfortunately prevent triggering abilities from enemy interact.

3. They have to choose one of the three legal options, so normally if they are standing on top of their own scheme marker, they have to remove it. It should be noted, that removing all scheme markers in base contact is always legal regardless of how many scheme markers there are, including 0 scheme markers.

• Like 1

I also have a question related to Exclusive Interview.

When an ennemy model within :ToS-Aura:2 takes the interact action, it is treated as a friendly model and the action is controlled by this model.

The ennemy is not more ennemy to your team, it is now friendly to yours. That's the simple part. Does that makes it ennemy to the other team ? I read the friendly/ennemy part of the rulebook, and I am still not sure. This question does not impact a lot the games. The only differences I see would be :

_ it will be able to drop ennemy markers instead of only friendly ones

_ it will also be preventeds to drop scheme with the interact if there are ennemy or friendly schemes markers within 4".

_ it will not trigger the ability of ennemy's team that resolves when an opponent interacts

Has anyone already had the question raised ?

3 hours ago, le_wahou said:

I also have a question related to Exclusive Interview.

The ennemy is not more ennemy to your team, it is now friendly to yours. That's the simple part. Does that makes it ennemy to the other team ? I read the friendly/ennemy part of the rulebook, and I am still not sure. This question does not impact a lot the games. The only differences I see would be :

_ it will be able to drop ennemy markers instead of only friendly ones

_ it will also be preventeds to drop scheme with the interact if there are ennemy or friendly schemes markers within 4".

_ it will not trigger the ability of ennemy's team that resolves when an opponent interacts

Has anyone already had the question raised ?

_ it will be able to drop ennemy markers instead of only friendly ones :

No he can't! In the rulebook it is specified when you control a model he can only drop markers friendly to you!

_ it will also be preventeds to drop scheme with the interact if there are ennemy or friendly schemes markers within 4". :

I think for the duration of the interact he is friendly to you and enemy to opponent's model! So you will be able to interact if there's no friendly scheme markers in 4'' and you will not count enemy scheme markers nearby!

_ it will not trigger the ability of ennemy's team that resolves when an opponent interacts :

If you control the interact has if it's friendly to you, every abilities from your opponent's crew (not yours) that trigger from enemy interact actions will work!

30 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

_ it will not trigger the ability of ennemy's team that resolves when an opponent interacts :

If you control the interact has if it's friendly to you, every abilities from your opponent's crew (not yours) that trigger from enemy interact actions will work!

Friend of your enemy is not necessarily your enemy. The enemy model being controlled doesn't stop being friendly to its own crew. So, if it is, for example, Nellie vs. Nellie mirror match, no model will be able to trigger Breaking News from that interact.

Other abilities may work differently depending on the specific wording.

3 hours ago, Myyrä said:

Friend of your enemy is not necessarily your enemy. The enemy model being controlled doesn't stop being friendly to its own crew. So, if it is, for example, Nellie vs. Nellie mirror match, no model will be able to trigger Breaking News from that interact.

Other abilities may work differently depending on the specific wording.

I think @solkan or someone just had a lengthy explanation in the rules forum about why becoming friendly treats you as enemy to the other crew. I’m not 100% on this either way (needs an errata, probably).

1 hour ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

I think @solkan or someone just had a lengthy explanation in the rules forum about why becoming friendly treats you as enemy to the other crew. I’m not 100% on this either way (needs an errata, probably).

Assuming someone did, they are just plain wrong.

30 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

Assuming someone did, they are just plain wrong.

Man, this is going to drive me nuts now. I just spent fifteen minutes looking for the thread throughout the Rules forum and couldn't find it. Someone was making the case that the definition of "friendly" meant "hired into your crew," and that anything hired into your crew was necessarily an opposing model.

Frankly, I'm perfectly fine with the rules as you're describing them @Myyrä -- it seems to me that "specific beats general" could easily apply to allow a model to become friendly beyond the usual definition of friendly models without triggering any logical necessity that it must now oppose other models. Although ... does that mean you can always relent on an obey'd attack from your own model and force the double-negative flip, since both models are friendly?

14 minutes ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

Although ... does that mean you can always relent on an obey'd attack from your own model and force the double-negative flip, since both models are friendly?

You can. Although, obey doesn't even change the model friendly to the obeyer. But even if it did, you still could relent.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:55 AM, Yore Huckleberry said:

The last lengthy explanation in the rules forum by me concerning this topic was on the fact that "it is treated as a friendly model" is completely irrelevant to the first option in Interact

1) Drop a Scheme Marker into base contact with this model and not within 4" of another friendly Scheme Marker,

because the status of that Scheme Marker is determined by control, not friendly or enemy:

When a model Drops a Marker, it is friendly to the Crew controlling the model that Dropped it.

(Which was a change from M2E's statement that the Scheme Marker placed by Interact was friendly to owner's crew.).

There are several precedents in scenarios for models that are either enemy to all crews, or friendly to all crews.

There is one pretty memorable precedent for an effect messing with all of that:  M2E's Hungering Darkness with Heed My Voice "The target considers this model friendly for the duration of the Action."  Making Evil Cookie Monster Hungering Darkness able to take advantage of 'target friendly model' effects and such.

That appears to be the same sort of thing that "it is treated as a friendly model" in Exclusive Interview is doing, except essentially crew wide in scope.  Leading to two main consequences:

• Because it is as friendly, no Chasing a Story for the Nellie.
    • "Every Ability, Action, and Trigger on a model’s Stat Card and Attached Upgrades treats the use of “friendly” and “enemy” from its point of view."  So at least as far as Nellie is concerned, it's a friendly model. 
  • What's the scope of "is treated as friendly"?
    • If it's just Nellie, then no Chasing a Story for Nellie
    • The friendship between Nellie and the model is probably reciprocal
    • If it's Nellie's crew and the model, then no Chasing a Story for any of her crew, but the model can now perform Deliver a Message.
    • If it's Nellie's crew and the model, and you follow the historic precedent, then both crews are treating the model as friendly for the duration of that Interact.  I think that's relevant two abilities.
      • Chasing a Story on the other crew (not Nellie's crew)
      • Consumed by Gluttony on the other crew (not Nellie's crew).  It's an enemy scheme marker, but not an enemy model
      • (Although I can't imagine why you'd want to do it to your own model after it dropped the scheme marker, Bandido's trigger finger wouldn't apply under the "everyone's friendly" hypothesis.)

Honestly, being unscoped as it is, the cleanest interpretation for "it is treated as a friendly model" appears to be "Everyone treats it as friendly".

There are still going to be a lot of abilities that go off that don't care who likes the model that dropped the scheme marker.  

• Thanks 1