Marcus help

Monstrous

So here goes probably my first post like ever.

I am very new so this I probably a noob question but bear with me is this a valid list for Marcus:

marcus

jackalobe

myranda

rougarou

ceberus

2 x initiates ancient pact

What I mean is is can I mix models with the beast or chimera tag with Marcus as I wish ?and how about upgrades do they have to come from the chosen faction or can they be arcanists as well? 

finally how do you feel about chimeramancy is it worth doing it with Marcus or do you just do it when you have time?

seems pretty ap and card heavy but I am new so what do I know.

also what is some good lists for Marcus that you have tried.? 

I have all versatile models from Neverborn and both Marcus starters. 

Yes, that seems a legal list.

You pick a faction  (neverborn) Hire a leader and his totem, (Marcus and the Jackolope), keyword Chimera

Then you can hire Chimera from any faction at the printed cost. You can hire any versatile models from the printed faction at cost (and Marcus treats beasts as versatile models) and you hire upgrades from the chosen faction (so you can't hire arcanist upgrades if you have declared Neverborn as your faction).  You can also hire models from the declared faction with different keywords at +1 cost.

Hi!

48 minutes ago, Monstrous said:

What I mean is is can I mix models with the beast or chimera tag with Marcus as I wish ?and how about upgrades do they have to come from the chosen faction or can they be arcanists as well? 

Marcus is dual ARC/NVB, if you play him as a NVB master you can have all the Chimeras (it doesn't matter the faction), all the NBV beast and NVB versatiles at normal cost (but not ARC beast without the Chimera keyword); as you are playing him as NBV master, you only have access to the NBV upgrades.

finally how do you feel about chimeramancy is it worth doing it with Marcus or do you just do it when you have time?

Depends on the turn, in the first turns it's not a bad idea to use it even twice per turn (and cheating to get the mask trigger); those upgrades are one of the best part of Marcus.

seems pretty ap and card heavy but I am new so what do I know.

It's not that card intensive, in fact he draws more cards than most crews thanks to primal domain and he also have access to adversary(beast), which make easier to hit without cheating... and a lot of models have movement tricks like placements, jump, ambush and the like... those help a lot with the AP efficiency.

also what is some good lists for Marcus that you have tried.? 

Both Sabertooth and Myranda are always a good start, those are very very good models... (mind myranda cannot turn into one of these in NVB, so I've seen that players usually recommend picking 2 sabertooths), after that it depends on the game. Marcus is a very versatile master with a huge model pool so... it really depends on the schemes/strategy and what you are facing.

Maybe I'd reduce the number of initiates to 1 or even 0, these aren't very well considered in general (and unless your are playing versus something that attack your hand, Initiate + Pact is a lot of card draw... probably some of these SS would be better invested in other models)

Don't overlook models like moleman or Razorspines because they aren't as hitty as Sabertooths or Rougarous; those offer a lot of mobility to play the scheme/strategy game that is what wins games after all!, Check that some NVB beast have built in triggers that may be very powerful when paired with upgrades (Bandersnatch and Azde).

I don't have that much experience with him so I'll leave some threads here so you can do some research:

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/145942-starting-with-marcus-please-help/

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/146886-how-many-initiates-with-marcus/

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/145234-marcus-m3e-tactics/ (this is the arcanist tactic, but most will apply except the upgrade/versatile and Myranda shapeshifting)

Hope it helps!

1 hour ago, Monstrous said:

It's one of the cental pillars of his game plan. I usually do it twice (4x thanks to repeat trigger) turns 1 and 2, and likely once with trigger on turn 3 and 4.

It turns his expensive models into superheroes and the Jackalope into an unreasonably disruptive missile.

Be wary of putting too many upgrades on models without a way to get rid of them though. Getting both copies of Feathered Wings stuck on models who don't need them anymore but can't discard them is a terrible feeling.

I play him on the Arc side but a standard opening for me turn 1 is 2ap on Chimeramancy with the mask trigger both times. I will stone for the mask if I need to. It's that important for my gameplan. I usually do it once (with trigger) on turn 2, but rarely any more than that. Occasionally if I have the time, but I find 6 upgrades out tends to do enough for my purposes. Granted that also depends on whether or not you go full chimera/beast or not. I try to bring a few good Arc models out of keyword so I have a few models that can't take Mutations.