Help with Pandora

zero6505

Can someone help me with the wording on self loathing?  I haven't played a lot of 3rd ed yet and I am getting different people telling me different things in my local group and I want to make sure I am doing this right.

If I win the WP duel with Pandora does the action I picked just happen?  or do I now have to do another test using the models stat?

Pandora was my favorite master in 2nd ed and I want to play her right this edition as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question in regards to Pandora's self loathing, does the target have to attack themselves or can they attack another model? For example if I target Perdita and am successful, does the damage have to go against Perdita or can I target another Guild model within 12 inches (her ranged attack range). I don't see where it specifies, so I was thinking you could do either or, but want to make sure I'm playing it right. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Trosty99 said:

Another question in regards to Pandora's self loathing, does the target have to attack themselves or can they attack another model? For example if I target Perdita and am successful, does the damage have to go against Perdita or can I target another Guild model within 12 inches (her ranged attack range). I don't see where it specifies, so I was thinking you could do either or, but want to make sure I'm playing it right. Thanks!

The target isn't actually attacking themselves.  Pandora is performing an attack on the target that is copying (most of) the effect of one of the target's attacks.

So if you target Perdita and are successful, you pick one of Perdita's non-Shockwave Attack Actions, and suddenly Self Loathing has that action's effect, cost, and special restrictions for the rest of the Action resolution process.  Throughout the entire process, Pandora is the acting model and Perdita is the target of the action.

As an important note, the newly cost and special restrictions do get resolved.  A lot of those are good things (like being able to remove Scrap Markers to power up a "not-Rail Driver" attack against Neil Henry, for instance, but you could wind up with action combinations that you can't fulfill and thus cause your own action to fail.

For instance, if Allison Dade is leading a Guild crew, using Self Loathing and copying Blackmail against her is going to fail.  And trying to use Self Loathing multiple times on non-Leader Allison Dade you won't be able to copy Blackmail more than once.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:54 AM, Breach_Dweller said:

What list are you running? She's a lot of fun.

currently I am running, Cade, Candy, Teddy, carver, and two sorrows.  I have been having a blast with the team so far but I cant wait for the new woes to come out so I can mix it up.

43 minutes ago, zero6505 said:

currently I am running, Cade, Candy, Teddy, carver, and two sorrows.  I have been having a blast with the team so far but I cant wait for the new woes to come out so I can mix it up.

I've been running a similar list, swapping Cade for Iggy and Teddy for Doppleganger. 

How have you found the Cade + Teddy combo?

I don't have a Teddy , and I have found Cade to be very underwhelming (which is why I've stopped plugging him into my lists).

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:47 PM, msgfree said:

How have you found the Cade + Teddy combo?

I don't have a Teddy , and I have found Cade to be very underwhelming (which is why I've stopped plugging him into my lists).

I think they work really well together but the main issue I am having is keeping Teddy alive, everyone sees him and opens fine, ive had him blasted off the table every game so hes a great distraction for my others to get into position and work schemes

• Like 1

The bear has only df4 so avoid putting him in hairy situations unless you know he can survive; inhuman reflexes may help him a lot.

If he bearly survives and has been activated, you can try to target a model engaging him with WP attacks to trigger Feed on Fear / lure him away and heal him with Kade.

5 hours ago, zero6505 said:

I think they work really well together but the main issue I am having is keeping Teddy alive, everyone sees him and opens fine, ive had him blasted off the table every game so hes a great distraction for my others to get into position and work schemes

Overall, keeping Teddy alive isn't the highest priority for me (unless he is a scheme model such as for Claim Jump), but I find him super tanky. Some tips:

• The best way to encourage any model to survive is to not let it get hit!
    • Keep him protected by terrain as he advances into position.
    • He has a 2" engagement range. This means he can engage models without them being able to engage him. Every time you're the one charging (which you should try to set it up so you almost always are with your 2" models, by ordering your activations correctly), you have a huge advantage.
    • If you get stuck in with lots of models, you can either use terrorize or where's my teddy to reposition.
  • Don't be afraid to consume other models. His bonus action of 'eat a stitched, heal six' is pretty damn potent.
  • And of course, make it hard for him to die, but at the end of the day, it is fine if he does. Looks like you're applying this strategy well, given that you're using him as such a great distraction!

20 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Overall, keeping Teddy alive isn't the highest priority for me (unless he is a scheme model such as for Claim Jump), but I find him super tanky. Some tips:

• The best way to encourage any model to survive is to not let it get hit!
    • Keep him protected by terrain as he advances into position.
    • He has a 2" engagement range. This means he can engage models without them being able to engage him. Every time you're the one charging (which you should try to set it up so you almost always are with your 2" models, by ordering your activations correctly), you have a huge advantage.
    • If you get stuck in with lots of models, you can either use terrorize or where's my teddy to reposition.
  • Don't be afraid to consume other models. His bonus action of 'eat a stitched, heal six' is pretty damn potent.
  • And of course, make it hard for him to die, but at the end of the day, it is fine if he does. Looks like you're applying this strategy well, given that you're using him as such a great distraction!

Thanks for the tips, I had not thought of eating my own models but it seems like a good idea and as far as keeping him in cover goes, we don't have a lot of great Malifaux terrain at my game store so we use what we have and its not ideal, I am working on getting my own terrain set to help with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zero6505 said:

I had not thought of eating my own models but it seems like a good idea and as far as keeping him in cover goes, 

Just a quick note on this; consume heal based on the current health, not the maximum health (I had that dobut for the wording of this ability)

If you build a creed around this idea, Vasilisa or WW to use the scrap markers to summon more minions could be good models

• Like 1