Best Bayou Bargains - can you beat the Piglet?

Flippin' Wyrd George

Hey all

I just got back from the Scottish GT this weekend and had a whale of a time. Had a brilliant first day where I was top of the draw but got smashed back down into mid table mediocrity day 2. During the weekend I found myself reliant on hiring one particular cheap minion in most games, out of key word: Piglet.

For a measly 4  stones I have a reckless, relatively quick scheme runner with Demise(Delicious Bacon) which can be used for a multitude of options:

• Activating near the centreline, dropping two scheme markers in one activation (delicious bacon a third if you fancy).
  • Being moved into a position and killed by opponent (or yourself) for a scheme marker in hard to reach places.
  • Torpedoing 15" towards a Take Prisoner target on a final activation of the turn
  • Moving 10" and still having AP to score strat points or scheme run
  • Bombing into Outflank position at the end of the turn.
  • Sitting centrally and running towards a Breakthrough model to deny the opponent their scheme
  • If you find a way to put shielded on the Piglet you effectively making it fast every turn through Reckless

Reckless is so powerful. The Piglet can stay in relative safety behind some terrain until required. Don't get me wrong, defence 4 and 3 wounds they are extremely easy to kill, so they don't want to be in the thick of the action, but they operate very well down the flanks. You will probably get one good meaningful play with the Piglet before it dies, so use it wisely! And you can even think of their squishyness as an advantage to get you some reliable delicious bacon when you need it!

So yeah, across the weekend I think Piglets scored (or denied my opponent) a net gain of least 2 points in each game I hired it. In some games, even more! They were worth 4 stones every time.

My question to you is: which cheap minions are you finding yourself regularly hiring or relying on in encounters, and why? I'm trying to branch out my hiring pool and curious what you guys have found ☺️🐷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

For much of the same reason, Flying Piglets. 

For 3 points and significant, I don't even attack with them.  Sacrifice for Corrupted Idols, score Power Ritual; almost every enemy model can be used for Hold Up Their Forces; play agressive and get them to set themselves up with Detonate Charges.

I love them!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Flippin' Wyrd George said:

Hey all

I just got back from the Scottish GT this weekend and had a whale of a time. Had a brilliant first day where I was top of the draw but got smashed back down into mid table mediocrity day 2. During the weekend I found myself reliant on hiring one particular cheap minion in most games, out of key word: Piglet.

For a measly 4  stones I have a reckless, relatively quick scheme runner with Demise(Delicious Bacon) which can be used for a multitude of options:

• Activating near the centreline, dropping two scheme markers in one activation (delicious bacon a third if you fancy).
  • Being moved into a position and killed by opponent (or yourself) for a scheme marker in hard to reach places.
  • Torpedoing 15" towards a Take Prisoner target on a final activation of the turn
  • Moving 10" and still having AP to score strat points or scheme run
  • Bombing into Outflank position at the end of the turn.
  • Sitting centrally and running towards a Breakthrough model to deny the opponent their scheme
  • If you find a way to put shielded on the Piglet you effectively making it fast every turn through Reckless

Reckless is so powerful. The Piglet can stay in relative safety behind some terrain until required. Don't get me wrong, defence 4 and 3 wounds they are extremely easy to kill, so they don't want to be in the thick of the action, but they operate very well down the flanks. You will probably get one good meaningful play with the Piglet before it dies, so use it wisely! And you can even think of their squishyness as an advantage to get you some reliable delicious bacon when you need it!

So yeah, across the weekend I think Piglets scored (or denied my opponent) a net gain of least 2 points in each game I hired it. In some games, even more! They were worth 4 stones every time.

My question to you is: which cheap minions are you finding yourself regularly hiring or relying on in encounters, and why? I'm trying to branch out my hiring pool and curious what you guys have found ☺️🐷

Can you share your lists and tell us a little bit about how did you do? I want Gremlins to be my main faction in m3e but I'm not sold on them yet :S

• Like 1

I think cheap model are not worth the stones most of time. The only reason to hire somerting cheap (piglet, bayou gremlin, flying pig) for me is to get quick benefit from it turn one or maybe two.  I never build my game plan on such models - they are usualy killed with a single hit.

4 stones for a Piglet OOK are always better in cash. Or pay one more and hire a Gator. Gators are great.

8 hours ago, Scoffer said:

I think cheap model are not worth the stones most of time. The only reason to hire somerting cheap (piglet, bayou gremlin, flying pig) for me is to get quick benefit from it turn one or maybe two.  I never build my game plan on such models - they are usualy killed with a single hit.

4 stones for a Piglet OOK are always better in cash. Or pay one more and hire a Gator. Gators are great.

I think the point of the OP is that you only need them for one turn or two if it is the right turn or two and you use them correctly.  The way schemes have changed a surprise reckless run from a hiding place at the right time can net you points even if the model is thrown away in the process.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:04 PM, Jesy Blue said:

For much of the same reason, Flying Piglets. 

For 3 points and significant, I don't even attack with them.  Sacrifice for Corrupted Idols, score Power Ritual; almost every enemy model can be used for Hold Up Their Forces; play agressive and get them to set themselves up with Detonate Charges.

I love them!

I used three Flying Piglets in  Plant explosives: Detonate, Hold Up Their Forces, Search the Ruins, Assassinate, Claim Jump yesterday.

I took Hold Up and Search. Two Flying Pigs had a bomb, while the third was running interference.

They scored my first Hold Up by bombing in at the last second to my opponent, but didn't have the staying power to gain the second point was the scheme was revealed. Two had bombs assigned but one, unfortunately, blasted off into space and was unburied next to Lord Chompy Bits 😂 Was very impressed though. Think I will hire a least two every Zipp game!

• Agree 2

On 7/23/2019 at 4:38 PM, Flippin' Wyrd George said:

Activating near the centreline, dropping two scheme markers in one activation (delicious bacon a third if you fancy).

Just to be clear, you can weaken yourself (so something else can finish you off), but you can't kill yourself with Reckless to get the third scheme marker.

Page 33, last section.

Choosing to Suffer Damage: Some models in Malifaux may generate effects that require them to suffer damage, such as the cost of an Action, or an Ability that may be used by suffering damage. A model can never choose to suffer damage this way if that damage would reduce their Health to 0 or below.

2 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

Just to be clear, you can weaken yourself (so something else can finish you off), but you can't kill yourself with Reckless to get the third scheme marker.

Page 33, last section.

Choosing to Suffer Damage: Some models in Malifaux may generate effects that require them to suffer damage, such as the cost of an Action, or an Ability that may be used by suffering damage. A model can never choose to suffer damage this way if that damage would reduce their Health to 0 or below.

I think the way you'd have to get the third would be to shoot the piglet with one of your own models.  Good news is that with 3 health max, they're gonna have 1-2 health left by the time you decide you want the marker.  So basically anyone in range can pop it off even on a relented attack.

3 minutes ago, Clement said:

I think the way you'd have to get the third would be to shoot the piglet with one of your own models.  Good news is that with 3 health max, they're gonna have 1-2 health left by the time you decide you want the marker.  So basically anyone in range can pop it off even on a relented attack.

The best way is to use Brin and his Pulling The Strings without discarding a marker. It gives Piglet an additional action and peacefull death at end of turn.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Clement said:

Oh, absolutely, that's how you maximize the scheme markering.

But the phrasing in the original post "in one activation", might make someone think that Reckless-ing something to death was a legitimate option, and it might be missed in the rules that it's not.

Especially as it was permitted in M2E, I believe. 

• Agree 2