Scottish Gt - Arcanists Chat

Hey Everyone! 

I have had a lot of people asking me what crews I ran at the Scottish GT so I thought I would start a new thread so we can chat about the weekend and all things Scotland and Arcanists. More then just me running them this weekend so seems only fair we can all chat here! 

So here is my lists and what the game was I have put the Schemes I took in bold.  So lets Discuss!

Round 1 – VS Cornelius Basse

Strat - Corrupted Idols

Schemes

Assassinate

Claim Jump

Harness the Ley Line

Breakthrough

Search the ruins

Crew

Colette

Cassandra

2x Coryphee

Coryphee Duet

Medical Automaton

Soulstone Miner – Magical Training

3x Mechanical Doves

Round 2 – VS Asami

Strat – Turf War

Schemes

Take Prisoner

Vendetta

Deliver a Message

Outflank

Harness the Ley Lines

Crew

Kearis

Elijah Borgmann

Carlos

Fire Golem

Fire Gamin

Wind Gamin

Eternal Flame

Round 3 – VS Nekima

Strat – Reckoning

Schemes

Detonate the Charges

Dig their Graves

Hold up the Forces

Power Ritual

Take Prisoner

Crew

Kearis

Elijah Borgman

Carlos

Fire Golem

Fire Gamin

Wind Gamin

Eternal Flame

Round 4 – VS Parker Barrows

Strat – Plant Explosives

Schemes

Breakthrough

Outflank

Deliver a Message

Search the Ruins

Vendetta

Crew

Colette

Cassandra

2x Coryphee

Coryphee Duet

Showgirl

3x Mechanical Doves

Round 5 – VS Zoraida

Strat – Corrupted Idols

Schemes

Hold up their Forces

Power Ritual

Claim Jump

Detonate the Charges

Search the Ruins

Crew

Colette

Cassandra

2x Coryphee – Diesel Engine

2x Mannequin

Showgirl

3x Mechanical Doves

Round 6 – VS Ironsides

Strat – Reckoning

Schemes

Assassinate

Vendetta

Dig Their Graves

Harness the Ley Lines

Deliver a Message

Crew

Hoffman

Joss – Diesel Engine

Howard Langston – Soulstone Cache

Medical Automaton

Mech Arachnid

Mechanical Attendant

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Very pleased that you played Colette three times!

Why do you hire a Duet + 2 Coryphee? Isn't it too many points invested?

Do you think that the Soulstone Miner is an autotake (haven't tested it yet) for all Masters?

Concerning Hoffman, why didn't you hired Guild Constructs? Just a personal challenge or do you value more Arcanists Constructs over Guild Constructs (after 5 games I think the opposite but I may be wrong)?

9 minutes ago, Vangerdahast said:

Very pleased that you played Colette three times!

Why do you hire a Duet + 2 Coryphee? Isn't it too many points invested?

Do you think that the Soulstone Miner is an autotake (haven't tested it yet) for all Masters?

Concerning Hoffman, why didn't you hired Guild Constructs? Just a personal challenge or do you value more Arcanists Constructs over Guild Constructs (after 5 games I think the opposite but I may be wrong)?

Coryphee I find are solid all around models they are really versatile with agile and Nimble they can get around better then most and Armour 2 DF6 with a stat 6 Melee makes them a force to be reckoned with. The duet even more so DF7 and Melee 7 they are just solid models that synergies very well with the whole crew.

Soulstone Miner is not a Auto take but a very strong piece that really works well with Colette as it can appear in most places and she can follow if needs be. and because its normally out of the way makes sense for it to have magical training. 

Hoffman I normally take 2 wardens as they are solid minions. I like Joss and Howard over a Peacekeeper and I still think hunters are over costed for what they do. I would happily add in Watchers and i have not had a chance to try out the Guardian in the crew yet.

21 minutes ago, Flippin' Wyrd Matt said:

Coryphee I find are solid all around models they are really versatile with agile and Nimble they can get around better then most and Armour 2 DF6 with a stat 6 Melee makes them a force to be reckoned with. The duet even more so DF7 and Melee 7 they are just solid models that synergies very well with the whole crew.

Soulstone Miner is not a Auto take but a very strong piece that really works well with Colette as it can appear in most places and she can follow if needs be. and because its normally out of the way makes sense for it to have magical training. 

Hoffman I normally take 2 wardens as they are solid minions. I like Joss and Howard over a Peacekeeper and I still think hunters are over costed for what they do. I would happily add in Watchers and i have not had a chance to try out the Guardian in the crew yet.

I am already sold on the Duet but do you often split it? With two Coryphees in the Crew, it is impossible. Don't you see it as a loss for the efficency of the Duet?

Agree on Magical Training on the Miner. I wasn't thinking about it as an unbury target for Colette.  I like the idea. Should test it in place of Angelica.

Concerning Hoffman, I rarely use Hunters at their maximum. They are often far away froms Hoffman's bubble to benefit from Power Tokens and are generally killed by ennemy beaters. Should try other models. Only played once the Warden but it is also Ruthless which can be very handy versus some Crews. Should replace the Hunters with them. But it's a problem for Schemes with their lack of mobility.

Concerning the Guardian; his Toss is very good for such a slow Crew and he can absorb so many hits with his armour and healing from Hoffman and Attendant. Always take it and has done well each time.

I'm curious, why Wind Gamin in the Kaeris crew instead of Firestarter at the same cost?

Also, did you find Elijah to be durable enough? I'd always figured on putting SS cache on him, especially since he should be in position recoup some of the cost with Recharge Soulstone.

40 minutes ago, mythicFOX said:

Thanks for posting your lists Matt.  Must admit I was pleased it was an Arcanist-off on the final table.  Whoever won we got an Arcanist GT win. :) 

I picked up a couple of bits from your play I want to try myself.

I would be up for knowing more about what you are going to be trying out seeming as I got loads of advice from you about Arcanist at Welsh GT :D

1 hour ago, Flippin' Wyrd Matt said:

Round 5 – VS Zoraida

Strat – Corrupted Idols

Schemes

Hold up their Forces

Power Ritual

Claim Jump

Detonate the Charges

Search the Ruins

Crew

Colette

Cassandra

2x Coryphee – Diesel Engine

2x Mannequin

Showgirl

3x Mechanical Doves

🤮🤮🤮

This crew was just gross. It went so wide, so quickly, that there was nothing my hired Zoraida crew could do to stop any of Matt's scheme or idol points, especially with Colette being able to teleport to any friendly model she wanted. I'm not even sure he killed any of my models except the Silurid, and Bokor very late on? There was no need. 

I tried to kill the Coryphee (which had to be done at range with focus because they were so far out and concealed), but they are just replaced with a significant Mannequin so it doesn't feel like any inroads are made. The Soulstone miner and Colette stay hidden until they are needed, and then teleport where required.

I think I could have put most any Bayou crew on the table and the outcome would have been the same. A very well put together, cleverly constructed, crew. I'm going to have to seriously think about my hires vs. Arcanists in this sort of scheme pool!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CD1248 said:

I'm curious, why Wind Gamin in the Kaeris crew instead of Firestarter at the same cost?

Also, did you find Elijah to be durable enough? I'd always figured on putting SS cache on him, especially since he should be in position recoup some of the cost with Recharge Soulstone.

I will be honest it is totally for leap! Just to get going.and it cant be locked up and i want my schemer runner to just keep going not get locked up!

Elijah dose die but i find that if he is taking the hit Kaeris is going to be taking your crew apart 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Flippin' Wyrd George said:

I tried to kill the Coryphee (which had to be done at range with focus because they were so far out), but they are just replaced with a significant Mannequin.

But the Mannequin has only one Wound left,Df 5 and Armour +1 so one more attack should kill it.

@Flippin' Wyrd Matt: Have you tested the Mechanical Rider with Colette and what do you think about it?

1 minute ago, Vangerdahast said:

But the Mannequin has only one Wound left,Df 5 and Armour +1 so one more attack should kill it.

@Flippin' Wyrd Matt: Have you tested the Mechanical Rider with Colette and what do you think about it?

When my models only had  2 AP and had to use both of them to hit the Coryphee because of concealment, and the Mannequin had a way to heal,  it didn't matter so much.

5 minutes ago, Vangerdahast said:

Mannequins do come in on 1 wound but like @Flippin' Wyrd George said by the time he manaher to kill the coryphee it most of his models were done.

I have had a look at the mech rider I just did not see what it was adding to the crew, what do you use it for? 

6 minutes ago, Vangerdahast said:

The Mannequin can only heal other Living models. Mannequin is a Construct, so can't heal itself.

Good point for the Concealment.

Yeah it was there to heal Colette, Cassy and the Showgirl.

And also it can take the hit for coryphee and the push is amazing! 

36 minutes ago, Flippin' Wyrd Matt said:

I have had a look at the mech rider I just did not see what it was adding to the crew, what do you use it for? 

Turn 1 uses Ride with Me generally on the Duet which is then able to go after far away objectives (for example a distant Turf War Marker claimed in Turn 1 in Corner Deployment). Or have an inactivated Duet in charge range of an opponent.

Using Ride with Me to take back engaged models without risking to lose movement due to disengage action.

In Turn 3, 4 et 5 uses Revelation Trigger after Duet has activated to give it a second activation (potentially 8 actions if you split the Duet in each activation). Has worked wonderfully for a moment but my opponents now know the trick and  tend to attack the Rider forcing me to use Fate Tokens to reduce damage and don't have enough for Revelation Trigger. But just made one time in Turn 5 can win games. Duet can Drop Marker, move with Nimble, drop Marker and repeat after Revelation Trigger. Already done to score sencond point of Breakthrough without having any Makers in the ennemy deployment zone at the beginning of Turn 5.

For me the Rider is worth his point with Colette but others can disagree.

30 minutes ago, Flippin' Wyrd Matt said:

And also it can take the hit for coryphee and the push is amazing! 

Conerning the Push, agree with you that it is amazing but i tend to forget it when I play a Mannequin. I should test it again. Thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, Flippin' Wyrd Matt said:

One thing that's handy for Colette is the Innovation trigger, you can either give Colette built-in :mask for super easy Presto-Chango's and Twist Ending, or give a bunch of Performers built-in :tome and just absolutely flood the board with Beautiful Clothes triggered Distracted 

9 hours ago, retnab said:

One thing that's handy for Colette is the Innovation trigger, you can either give Colette built-in :mask for super easy Presto-Chango's and Twist Ending, or give a bunch of Performers built-in :tome and just absolutely flood the board with Beautiful Clothes triggered Distracted 

That dose sound useful, a lot of stones to invest for suits but its definitely on my list of models to try.

I was considering giving it a go with Hoffman. As I think I could use the reactivate better there and the suits for more irreducible damage on Joss.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 9:43 PM, Flippin' Wyrd Matt said:

I think I will try it tomorrow. The game is Corrupted Idols in Corner Deployment.

I will swap Angelica for the Miner + Magical Training.

For the first turn, I think it will gain Stunned to gain a Soulstone, use one action to gain Focus +1 and last action to Bury (because of Stunned). Then on turn two, unbury it near an Idol. Is it how you play it? Or is there other tricks?

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2019 at 10:59 PM, Vangerdahast said:

Then on turn two, unbury it near an Idol. Is it how you play it? Or is there other tricks?

I didn't use it yet, but guess if you will pop out from bury, you wouldn't able to interact that turn. So don't know if Soulstone Miner is the right choice for moving idols, also considering that its only real defenses (armour and bury) are bypassed by idol's damage... 🙄

18 minutes ago, SunTsu said:

I didn't use it yet, but guess if you will pop out from bury, you wouldn't able to interact that turn. So don't know if Soulstone Miner is the right choice for moving idols, also considering that its only real defenses (armour and bury) are bypassed by idol's damage... 🙄

You are right. My last post was made before playing the model (and haven't well read the card). I use it mainly for some Schemes or to attack isolated ennemy models but don't think I have played it in Cursed Idols.

@Flippin' Wyrd Matt Hi! Lovely seeing more Colette! I am myself a big fan of all the mechanical aspects of the crew, considering running a list with Mechanical Spider and Arachnid Swarm alongside the Puppets for mechanical fun times. 

I have some questions for you. As was noted above, you chose to run Duet and two Coryphee which is something I can definitely see the perks of, as my friend would lament throughout the entire beta, the Coryphee and Duet are both very efficient models even without the added shenanigans. How do you find that they work when not using the reactivate trick? Is the nimble worth it? I'm thinking yes but I'd like to hear your opinion. 

Question two is in regards to the Mannequins and Performers, how do you use them, and how do you find their performance? I tend to find them lackluster but that might be because of my not properly utilising them. 

What did you use the Medical automaton for? 

Lastly, would you consider bringing a mechanical toolkit to assist the coryphees? 

Sorry for the wall of text  ^^'

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 12:13 PM, valkirsWrath said:

How do you find that they work when not using the reactivate trick? Is the nimble worth it? I'm thinking yes but I'd like to hear your opinion. 

Question two is in regards to the Mannequins and Performers, how do you use them, and how do you find their performance? I tend to find them lackluster but that might be because of my not properly utilising them. 

What did you use the Medical automaton for? 

Lastly, would you consider bringing a mechanical toolkit to assist the coryphees? 

So I think Coryphee are Fantastic! As a individual model I find they are very efficient, Nimble and Agile models that have a solid damage track means they can kill and scheme run freely in a game and with armour 2 they are just a brilliant all round model for there cost.

I have only ever used there ability to dance together once. For me they can run into the edges and are a real tar pit when they go wide and will deal with most scheme runners with no issue. 

Mannequins - I used these as the Crews Scheme runners they follow Coryphee into the corners to go wide with them and also using doves to drag them around the board running schemes. If that was not enough they can try and slow enemy models and keep the living elements of the crew alive with Emergency surgery. 

Performers - i would say is the  weakest element of this crew but a don't mind me model with a lure for 5 stones is a solid model but you do have to keep them out of the danger or they will just die as manipulative dose not keep them alive for long.

The medical automaton was a test to add some healing in to the crew but if u want to do this then just add a Mannequin

I have used the Tool kit once in a game but it could not keep up with the speed of this crew it spent a lot of the time trying to play catch up. Diesel Engine offers them enough of a buff for Damage and and i have found that if they are going to die its under committed fire and no amount of healing will change that. 

The round 5 crew has become almost my standard list for Colette recently as it seems to have had the most Success 

• 3 weeks later...

So. Yesterday I played in the Swedish nationals in Umeå. I could only play for the first day, since I'm sitting at work now as we write while the second day is playing out. I'm personally rooting for the other Arcanist player to win, he's in the top four doing a round robin for the final placement. 

Anyway, I decided to take inspiration from your crew for games one and two, Idols and Explosives. The only difference was that I ran the mecharachnid instead of the Soulstone Miner game one, and a second Showgirl game two. I simply don't own the Soulstone Miner, and I'm not sure if I want to. 

Game one went 4-6, I was against Professor von Schtook. It was down to the wire with the last two points scored last turn. Some poor flips and a really bad Idols placement, I flipped Red Joker for inititative so I couldn't affect where the last idol went snubbed me for my last point. I did manage to threaten breakthrough and Power ritual, on standard deployment no less. He thought he'd stopped both but in a final act of showmanship Colette performed a trick and moved all the way down to the other corner of the map and planted a scheme which secured me second point for Power Ritual (the Valedictorian took a potshot after delivering a message, to it's own detriment) I ended up getting 3 for scheme and 1 for strat, while my opponent got three for strat, one for deliver and two for dig. First time against von Schtook, scary dude. 

Second game went 5-8 against Shenlong. I did a few misplays, I could've denied at least one point, possibly two, last turn. He did manage to deny my second point for outflank by cleaning up all the scheme markers even close to the other corner and by murdering all my low cost models in relevant positions. I did some misplays other than the final points denial, like overexetending with Cassandra and forgetting about Take the hit, so she died turn two. Still, getting five points (and almost going 5-6) against the best player in my region who won the nationals last year feels good. I put up a good fight and that's all I can ask for.

Coryphees with Diesel Engine will be a staple in my lists for sure, and boy did I underestimate the Mannequins. That's great new for me since I love the dolls. Hell I might even get a third. Hoping they release a Coryphee and Mannequin box in the future so I can acquire a Duet (I don't like magnetising) while also grabbing more Mannequins. Colette is as great as ever, I find that I really click with her and honestly no action on her card feels superfluous. 

Sorry this is turning to a full on battle report. I just wanted to highlight this since it was @Flippin' Wyrd Matt who inspired me. I was too dazzled by the duet to realise that the Coryphee dance just as well apart, as they do together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like u had some rough flips but I am really glad to see people loving collette as much as I do the list I made at the GT has become one of my standard go to's for Collette. 

I whole heartily agree with coryphee revelation I am still yet to ever dance them together because with diesel engine they are such a disruptive peice that is hard to dislodge.

Really great to hear about peoples games so thanks 😁