Where do hunters fit in your lists?

Tsyuukii

Hey, so I have had a couple Guild crews for a while but not really used them as I focused on Outcast, I am really in a Guild mood at the moment so have been playing them quite a lot (mainly Hoffman) and I want to know what the community think of hunters, are they something you never take or maybe you always take them? For me I don't really know when to take them, I have Lady J and Hoffman and I have tried them with both but they never really shine for me, maybe I am not running them right or not prioritizing their ap? I would just like to find out how many of them people use, what crews they use them in and how they work within a crew as I do like them a lot and would like to include them more often especially with Hoffman because they come in his crew box.

Any input is appreciated and I would have gone searching deep through the forum to find out these answers but with the release of monster hunters in wave 5 it has been a bit difficult to pinpoint recent threads discussing these mechanical ones.

I don't know that you will find that they shine, but lucius can get pretty good results from them.  They were darn good for wave 2, but at this point the are really outclassed by monster Hunters for a point less.  

Edit: I do like them in ours or recon.  Their ability to jump over the line at the end of the turn can be game winning.

I've used them to get supply wagons done with Hoffman. Like 4thstringer said there are also several strats/schemes where their end of turn push helps a lot, hold up their forces is an example of where it can really tip the scales.

A lot of the time you'll find that they've somewhat fallen behind compared to the absolute top picks. 

Their role in my lists is to slow something as the first acrivation of the turn which can save you from a devastating charge. It requires your sh to match the opponents df. Their positives to unactivated models is great for negating cover or help you win duel agaibst models ib the open.

I think the hunter pushing the Supply Wagon is a great idea, somebody like Langston or the Peacekeeper could do it for example, but they could be out threatening the enemies crew and potentially stopping their wagon instead. If Hoffman gave the Hunter nimble, or interacting as a 0, the Hunter could push, walk, push turn 1. Preferably, you'd push the wagon 3' turn 1 so The Hunter can prowl into base contact at the end of the turn and repeat.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, INXVI said:

I think the hunter pushing the Supply Wagon is a great idea, somebody like Langston or the Peacekeeper could do it for example, but they could be out threatening the enemies crew and potentially stopping their wagon instead. If Hoffman gave the Hunter nimble, or interacting as a 0, the Hunter could push, walk, push turn 1. Preferably, you'd push the wagon 3' turn 1 so The Hunter can prowl into base contact at the end of the turn and repeat.

My last game I used machine puppet + fast trigger and attached the (0) interact to push it three times with the hunter turn one.

• Like 1

I love my stompybots, but these were superseded awhile back. The positive flip feels like it’s in the wrong place on their card, comparing to Hoffman’s other stompybot melee choice near that cost (steam arachnid swarm via Arcanist Assets), with similar damage track but positive flips to damage. To get that feeling back with a hunter, I would run them with Lucius and he would command them for focus, with devil’s deal for abundant rams. This was before wave 5, so he didn’t have the source of easy wound replenishment that is Ferdinand Vogel. Nowadays it could be half a themed crew of the Beast Within and the mechano-kitties running as a pride. It leaves plenty of room for the witchling thralls, or Allison Dade and her guardshounds creating a scheme marker crisis, or Queeg and an investigator for pushes...

• Like 2

I really like Hunters and use them quite a lot. There may be better models, but they almost never disappoint. I tend to run them on the flanks. They are great for dealing with scheme runners since they can slow them and then drag them back when they try to escape. They also put pressure on your opponent early in the turn because of the :+flipagainst unactivated models. This means they have a quite good chance of making one or two models slow. And the drag trigger can sometimes really mess upp your opponent's plan if you drag away supporting auras. 

The thing to remember is that their role is harassing. They are not that good in close combat against anything but weak scheme runners and they will probably not kill much. But they will be annoying. And as said earlier, their ability to push at the end of the turn can be really good.

However, it can be noted that I usually play casual games so in a hardcore competative environment, they are probably worse.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I'll say the last time I used them oxfordians outclassed them completely.  And they cost 5 pts each, and win vs. hunters every time.

Oxfordians are ridiculous. I think their fixes took them too far. The guardian got a single point of min damage when it was considered too weak, the oxfordians got a bucketload of fixes and were maybe not even that bad to begin with. They just had the whole "need to take a squad in a non-squad based game" issue that a ton of guardsman models have. Just dropping them to 5ss would probably have made people play them enough to realise what their strengths were.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jchrisobrien said:

Gnomezilla, what did you replace hunters with in your lists?  I've found they really pull their weight in Ours.  They are overpriced now compared to the Wave 5 models, but handing out slow at range w/out requiring a suit/trigger is nice.

I noodle around with crews too much to call anything a pure replacement, but guardians get a lot of play locally with the gospel of 3” reach very accurate attack and a whole lot of Df only attackers, and riotbreakers are certainly going to answer the very rare times that cheaper ranged stompybots are called for.

• Agree 1