Mah and Sammy card draw timing on Mah Knows Best and Winds of Fate

Math Mathonwy

Question

Mah's new Upgrade provides this ability: "Whenever this model discards a card outside of a duel, you may draw a card."

Mah has Get Off My Land: "this model may discard a card to push up to 8"."

Sammy has: "Once per Turn, when another model within :aura6 draws a card, this model may discard a card to draw a card."

What is the order of the card discard, draw, Sammy's discard and draw, and the Push?

If Mah is next to Sammy and uses Get Off My Land but the Push doesn't end up in Sammy's Aura, does Sammy have the timing window to use her Winds of Fate? What if Mah is originally outside of the Aura but the Push takes her next to Sammy?

8 answers to this question

Whenever must reasonably be the same timing as "when" so unless something tells you to do it after fully resolving the current action any ability happens instantly. There is no default rule for delaying abilities, they often interrupt the current chain and "slot in" at exactly the same point as whatever is happening so I don't see the controversy.

To work through the events...

Mah's new Upgrade provides this ability: "Whenever this model discards a card outside of a duel, you may draw a card."

Mah has Get Off My Land: "this model may discard a card to push up to 8"."

Sammy has: "Once per Turn, when another model within :aura6 draws a card, this model may discard a card to draw a card."

So Mah uses Get Off My Land, and

1. Mah discards a card to use Get Off My Land
  2. Mah's upgrade ability and Sammy's ability at both triggered
  3. Per General Timing, May is the Acting model so her ability resolves in slot 1.  So draw a card.
  4. Per General Timing, Sammy's ability resolves in slot 3 or 4.  So now Sammy has the discard and draw choice.
  5. You've finally resolved "discard a card" and can now resolve "push up to eight inches".  In a real game, this is expected to trigger two Pounces, one instance of hazardous terrain, and falling damage, adding several more steps before the ability is done. ;) 

"If Mah is next to Sammy and uses Get Off My Land but the Push doesn't end up in Sammy's Aura, does Sammy have the timing window to use her Winds of Fate? What if Mah is originally outside of the Aura but the Push takes her next to Sammy?"  Incorrect premise.  There aren't any implicitly retroactive triggers.  You don't discard the card, push the model, and then look for auras you moved through.  You resolve the discard then you resolve the push.