Big Jake, a Big Impact?

spect_spidey

I have only just started playing Outcasts in a grow league, and picked up Big Jake as part of the lot to full around with.  I have found him a great asset at 5 stones.

His "I Got This" (or similarly named) ability where he counts as 2 models for Strategy VP purposes is great and worth the stone cost alone.  In several games, he has been the difference in scoring points because of that. 

"Consult the Ancestors" is useful for one or two turns (depending on his health) as a last move during his activation to prepare yourself for you opponents next move.  He is not tanky, nor is his tomahawk attack (melee or ranged) particularly special (although the melee trigger is useful to getting him out of engagement, which is beneficial for his VP ability).  However, he is not designed to be a heavy hitter or a meat wall.  He is a strat/scheme runner, and with his abilities and 0 action, I find him easily worth the 5 stones.  For what he brings, I could see him worth the 6 stones he cost as an out of faction mercenary, depending on the strategy (such as interference).   

Think about this: GG2017 is all about markers and scheming and interacting.

Jake brings Don't Mind Me for 5ss and doesn't die!

Not sure about how he'd work with Misaki or Schill.

Although you gotta bring the Emissary with Schill, so you can do the one-two combo of Jake getting Reactivate Turn 4, then coming back Turn 5 (just remember to save the two cards).

• Like 1

Stat wise, Jake seems to be on par with what a 5 stone model should be. He's then got a bunch of tricks to help score Schemes and Strats.

Don't Mind Me is a nice ability to have if you have any schemes that require an Interact action. 

I'm tempted to pick him up for his Scheme shenanigans, and I'd be paying the merc tax to use him.

• Like 1

I always like Big Jake. He isn't really GREAT at anything, but he has abilities that make so many schemes and strats a little bit easier. Counting as two models is excellent when you're in extraction, interference, guard the stash etc., Don't Mind Me is an EXCELLENT ability in headhunter and other schemey pools, and since he's a 5SS enforcer he's a good way to squeeze an extra upgrade into a list. Also, since he comes back turn 5 you can sometimes get a "last chance" at a strategy point, or he can appear to remove a key marker (if your other models are set up right), or to kill an enemy minion at the top of turn five. All in all, he's a fantastically useful little dude who doesn't actually do much on his activation, but does a lot of good stuff just by being there.

Seems like he might help to be able to eek out some last minute points on Last Stand as well. He only counts as a single Enforcer since it's a Scheme and not a Strategy but he's the cheapest Enforcer in the faction at 5 points and you can bring him back in round 5 after you've lost a few to get back up to 3. 

Being a cheap Enforcer should probably come in handy for Hunting Party as well.

He's five stones. That's super ultra mega cheap for an Enforcer, and his abilities make him valuable in any strategy where numbers count, or any scheme where he might have to interact while engaged. Plus he's a pretty cool model, and can even come back in the last turn for one last hurrah. He's certainly not a model you'll regret having around.

10 hours ago, Seadhna said:

Although you gotta bring the Emissary with Schill, so you can do the one-two combo of Jake getting Reactivate Turn 4, then coming back Turn 5 (just remember to save the two cards).

Aw, how did I not make that combination!!!?  I gotta buy me a Jake!

8 minutes ago, DXXXVIII said:

Hes not excellent at any particular role but hes like Johan. Borderine OP due to being undercostet af :P

And metal Johan has one of the few sets of abs that wouldn't seem inadequate on the same field as Big Jake.

*think, scheme, plot*

They're both mercenaries, so the quest for the wholly shirtless crew could be done with any faction, though clearly Von Schill is called for as the Outcast leader despite his sculpt. Guild could toss in Ryle and witchling thralls. Arcanists bring Joss and Howard Langston. Many Neverborn are sadly shirtless. Etc.

• Like 1