Modular Terrain Recommendations Please

Captain Black

Good luck locating the Streets and Buildings of Malifaux Terraclip sets, they have been out of production for a while now. Would love to see them come back with a bit better thought on packaging/marketing, but Nathan implied in the past that they wont be seeing a reprinting or new development for the foreseeable future.

With that said you could always just use the files from World Works Games (the partners for the Terraclips line) to build your own. It can be costly to get into though, particularly if you want to build stuff that will last and not be a pain in the ass to build.

Failing that there are a number of other options that provide pre-arranged (read as not really redesign-able) buildings and such. A lot of players speak highly of 4Ground but they have always seemed a bit high priced to me. Sarissa is another option though I would also look at Burnin Designs, especially if you live in the US (their prices are lower).

The last option is to build your own. There are a number of tutorials for that around and often it is the cheapest option.

• Like 1

Good luck locating the Streets and Buildings of Malifaux Terraclip sets, they have been out of production for a while now. Would love to see them come back with a bit better thought on packaging/marketing, but Nathan implied in the past that they wont be seeing a reprinting or new development for the foreseeable future.

With that said you could always just use the files from World Works Games (the partners for the Terraclips line) to build your own. It can be costly to get into though, particularly if you want to build stuff that will last and not be a pain in the ass to build.

Failing that there are a number of other options that provide pre-arranged (read as not really redesign-able) buildings and such. A lot of players speak highly of 4Ground but they have always seemed a bit high priced to me. Sarissa is another option though I would also look at Burnin Designs, especially if you live in the US (their prices are lower).

The last option is to build your own. There are a number of tutorials for that around and often it is the cheapest option.

Many thanks once again Omen. Some great terrain on the sites you linked. But it is a real shame that the Terraclips stuff is no longer available. I don't want to start building my own terrain again. I am looking for somewhat of a quick fix.

Guardian games had a box set or two of the old Malifaux stuff, not sure which ones though. You could call them and see if they will ship.

http://www.ggportland.com 

I like 4Ground stuff, especailly prepainted, though it is a bit pricey (what isn't though).

Many thanks, Paddy. Unfortunately, I think the shipping cost would be horrendous to the UK :( 

As of last night when I emailed them about the Terraclips sets, they had Sewers (lots of places still have these) and Prison of the Forsaken. These two actually compliment each other very well and if you have a suitable mat to base them on (so you dont have to use the floor tiles for your lowest level) can easily provide enough terrain for an engaging table with many different layouts.

Given the OP is in the UK 4Ground is likely your best option.

• Like 1

As of last night when I emailed them about the Terraclips sets, they had Sewers (lots of places still have these) and Prison of the Forsaken. These two actually compliment each other very well and if you have a suitable mat to base them on (so you dont have to use the floor tiles for your lowest level) can easily provide enough terrain for an engaging table with many different layouts.

Given the OP is in the UK 4Ground is likely your best option.

Its a shame, the terraclips stuff would be ideal, but I can't find any so far in the UK.

I have to say the 4ground terrain is really nice and relatively easy to put together. The big plus for me is that it is prepainted which a lot of the other mdf stuff isn't. 

They have also just released 32mm scale steampunk terrain which looks like it would really nice for malifaux. 

The 4ground buildings are lovely. They also have elevated firing positions, ideal for snipers :) But, the cost of the 32mm buildings is a little offputting. They have got some less expensive buildings in the 28mm "Fabled Realms" range, though. I wonder how they would scale against a Malifaux 32mm model?

http://www.4ground.co.uk/city-of-mordanburg

Game mat's, Hmm now would you go for Cloth, PVC, or mousepad type? Not having any experience of game mat's what would you suggest?

A couple of links to some game mat's I'm currently mulling over :) 

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/3958-medieval-ruins

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/2597-cobblestone

And maybe one of these for when one decides it is a nice day for a picknick in the countryside :)

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/2616-swamp

The 4ground buildings are lovely. They also have elevated firing positions, ideal for snipers :) But, the cost of the 32mm buildings is a little offputting. They have got some less expensive buildings in the 28mm "Fabled Realms" range, though. I wonder how they would scale against a Malifaux 32mm model?

The 28mm stuff looks ok with Mailfaux. I have a lot of their 28 mm Dead Mans Hand terrain and apart from the doors looking slightly off they work well. From normal game play distance they are fine. I haven't got any of the city of mordanburg stuff myself but I would assume the scale will be the same as the dead man hand stuff. One thing to note is quite a few shops stock 4ground stuff and sell it at a bit of a discount.

With regards mats I like the Malifaux specific ones from playmats.eu as they come with all the relevant markings for deployment, center lines, table quarters, etc. on them.

• Like 1

A few more links, this time for possible buildings. Not sure on the scale again for this type. But with a little application of color and ink washes these medieval buildings could possibly be an idea.

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/2018-medieval-scenery

These perry miniature buildings would also fit well, but again in 28mm

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/325-perry-miniatures-terrain

Below the official Malifaux terrain.

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/2012-designed-for-malifaux

And again in 28mm some nice options from the "Fabled Legends" line.

The 28mm stuff looks ok with Mailfaux. I have a lot of their 28 mm Dead Mans Hand terrain and apart from the doors looking slightly off they work well. From normal game play distance they are fine. I haven't got any of the city of mordanburg stuff myself but I would assume the scale will be the same as the dead man hand stuff. One thing to note is quite a few shops stock 4ground stuff and sell it at a bit of a discount.

With regards mats I like the Malifaux specific ones from playmats.eu as they come with all the relevant markings for deployment, center lines, table quarters, etc. on them.

This one looks ideal. I wonder if you can specify the pattern on the reverse side? They all seem to have the same back pattern. Also what material would one suggest? I would have thought the PVC types would, over time start to curl up on the edges?

http://www.playmats.eu/malifaux/246-malifaux-deploy-zonegrid-6-paved-plaza.html

This one looks ideal. I wonder if you can specify the pattern on the reverse side? They all seem to have the same back pattern. Also what material would one suggest? I would have thought the PVC types would, over time start to curl up on the edges?

http://www.playmats.eu/malifaux/246-malifaux-deploy-zonegrid-6-paved-plaza.html

I have a vinyl one and it hasn't started curling up yet. I think you can specify what you want on the double sided mats but you would be best contacting them. 

If you are worried about curling edges the latex mats are good but are not as robust as the vinyl ones in my opinion 

• Like 1

The Plastcraft ColourED stuff is really nice. My table currently uses the Bayou stuff (Train Halt, Train Station, Swamp Hut and Walkways). Bonus points for being pre-printed so it doesn't need to be painted. Planning on grabbing the Carnival set as well. I'd be chuffed if they redid the original city stuff in ColourED (I really dislike painting terrain) and did some in-scale wild west stuff like a ranch or just town buildings, though with 4grounds out there that might be down on their list.

The mat I use is from playmats.eu. Got their double sided option with the dark island on one side and victorian pavement on the other. Store it rolled up in its shipping tube and it'll flatten out quickly when you put it on the table. You can specify both sides of any mat you order from them. Just put it in the comments of the order.

• Like 1

The Plastcraft ColourED stuff is really nice. My table currently uses the Bayou stuff (Train Halt, Train Station, Swamp Hut and Walkways). Bonus points for being pre-printed so it doesn't need to be painted. Planning on grabbing the Carnival set as well. I'd be chuffed if they redid the original city stuff in ColourED (I really dislike painting terrain) and did some in-scale wild west stuff like a ranch or just town buildings, though with 4grounds out there that might be down on their list.

The mat I use is from playmats.eu. Got their double sided option with the dark island on one side and victorian pavement on the other. Store it rolled up in its shipping tube and it'll flatten out quickly when you put it on the table. You can specify both sides of any mat you order from them. Just put it in the comments of the order.

Many thanks, Loki. Yes, the playmats.eu mats are great. I am glad you can specify the pattern on both sides. I will probably get the cobblestone streets and swamp on the reverse side :)

I've been considering some of the PlastCraft stuff. Do you have any pics of your table?

• Like 1

The large building has an open interior and removable roof. We normally play it without the roof to get that area playable. The two smaller buildings don't.

What puts me off 4ground is mostly the scale. It's true 28mm while Malifaux is 32mmm so everyone looks slightly too big around the buildings. Doesn't bother some people, and I normally don't mind slight variations in scale, but it irritates me with 4grounds stuff. That's why I really want Plastcraft to do some more ColourED ranges for Malifaux, or at least redo their original city stuff as ColourED.

This shows the interior, and was before I had the walkways.

796760_sm-.jpg

• Like 2