How many Hanged?

Couchmonster

So I like to play Jack & a lot of the time the hardest decision I have to make when building his crew is whether or not to take take the max amount of Hanged that I can (I love these creepy buggers). How often do you take them? I find it hard to leave home without at least one.

Thinking about something like this; 

Jack Daw -- 5ss
 +Guillotine Injustice - 0ss
 +Twist And Turn - 2ss
 +Writing Torment - 2ss
 +Drowning Injustice - 0ss
 +Firing Squad Injustice - 0ss

Hodgepodge Effigy - 4ss

Nurse - 5ss

Rusty Alyce - 10ss (OR Strongarm)
 +Tally Sheet - 1ss

The Guilty - 5ss

The Hanged - 9ss

The Hanged - 9ss

I love JackDaw too but I didn't try them yet - paint in progress.

However, I do find them redundant. I think - more than 1 - is not necessary because their main focus is to easily half wound on a big guy.

Then, they have the thing of terror hen you kill down someone. Again, two are not necessary...you should try to reduce people to 1 wound and then shoot on them to spread terror around.

For the same points, if you want to have sinergy with terror, you might hire Montresor to debuff WP and increase all aura +1".

I tend to agree with Jafar.  One Hanged is more than enough, unless there's a very specific reason you want two.  I can think of only a few -- like if you want to play with durable, mobile (via incorporeal) minions while running Public Demonstration from GG2016 as a Scheme, for example.  Otherwise, in terms of what's on their card in exchange for the cost, not enough benefit to doubling them up.  

I've never even seriously considered bringing them. For 9ss I could bring any of the CC7 carrying Oathkeeper, Hans with Scout the Field, most of Rusty Alyce or the Emissary, Sue with Oathkeeper, a Crooked Man and a Void Wretch...

The only time I'd consider it is running Betrayer Jack with three Guilty, Montresor and LL. Torment all the things, push them around, make them take as many simple duels as possible, realize that Seamus could do so much better with the same concept.

21 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

I've never even seriously considered bringing them. For 9ss I could bring any of the CC7 carrying Oathkeeper, Hans with Scout the Field, most of Rusty Alyce or the Emissary, Sue with Oathkeeper, a Crooked Man and a Void Wretch...

The only time I'd consider it is running Betrayer Jack with three Guilty, Montresor and LL. Torment all the things, push them around, make them take as many simple duels as possible, realize that Seamus could do so much better with the same concept.

Why do you all like Hans with Scout the filed?

Not only hans is purely underpowered...but scout the field is a very awful upgrade too :D

3 minutes ago, Blacks85 said:

Why do you all like Hans with Scout the filed?

Not only hans is purely underpowered...but scout the field is a very awful upgrade too :D

As far as I can tell it's a very card intensive way to just delete a key upgrade from an enemy turn 1. You have him near enough to be in range of I Pay Better so you can ditch a card for focus & discard Scout the Field. Then you use Smile You Son Of A..., and then shoot whoever and cheat in with a 13 or RJ to get rid of an upgrade on anyone within 36", without requiring LoS. It's particularly nasty against masters who rely on an upgrade for summoning, or someone like Bad Juju or Huggy to stop them endlessly respawning, but it does cost quite a few cards. That's generally okay on turn 1 though.

7 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

As far as I can tell it's a very card intensive way to just delete a key upgrade from an enemy turn 1. You have him near enough to be in range of I Pay Better so you can ditch a card for focus & discard Scout the Field. Then you use Smile You Son Of A..., and then shoot whoever and cheat in with a 13 or RJ to get rid of an upgrade on anyone within 36", without requiring LoS. It's particularly nasty against masters who rely on an upgrade for summoning, or someone like Bad Juju or Huggy to stop them endlessly respawning, but it does cost quite a few cards. That's generally okay on turn 1 though.

It's not that good against masters unless their hand is empty. If it's turn one, and they really rely on the upgrade they'll just ditch two cards to avoid the effect. It's great against bad juju, and someone like to toshiro with command the graves, but even then you've spent 9 stones to do that one thing, and he's hard to get more good usage out of after that. I wish it wasn't true, I think Hans is one of the coolest guys in the game, but he needs something - either from the shadows or an extra inch of walk, or a free suit instead of a discard, or a built in + - to be worth it.

3 hours ago, apes-ma said:

It's not that good against masters unless their hand is empty. If it's turn one, and they really rely on the upgrade they'll just ditch two cards to avoid the effect. It's great against bad juju, and someone like to toshiro with command the graves, but even then you've spent 9 stones to do that one thing, and he's hard to get more good usage out of after that. I wish it wasn't true, I think Hans is one of the coolest guys in the game, but he needs something - either from the shadows or an extra inch of walk, or a free suit instead of a discard, or a built in + - to be worth it.

You still made it too easy, the poor Hans is really poor.

Against master - for some reason - doesn't work because it can just discard two cards and avoid the effect....meh.

Against any other model you need a 11+:crow then you need a 13 to ensure the shoot actually goes on.

(or a low :crow a 11+ card and a 13...still not automatic)

This said, it may discard an upgrade to your opponent enforcer or henchamn and you likely trade 9 SS for 1 or 2 SS upgrade...because Hans is fragile as hell, it is literally immobile and it's the worst, worst version of a trapper.

No way you can convince me this could find his spot in a crew. I've tried him twice as well with show of force and guard the stash which is the absolutely condition where he may "shine"...but still he's very useless for the points.

5 hours ago, Blacks85 said:

You still made it too easy, the poor Hans is really poor.

Against master - for some reason - doesn't work because it can just discard two cards and avoid the effect....meh.

Against any other model you need a 11+:crow then you need a 13 to ensure the shoot actually goes on.

(or a low :crow a 11+ card and a 13...still not automatic)

This said, it may discard an upgrade to your opponent enforcer or henchamn and you likely trade 9 SS for 1 or 2 SS upgrade...because Hans is fragile as hell, it is literally immobile and it's the worst, worst version of a trapper.

No way you can convince me this could find his spot in a crew. I've tried him twice as well with show of force and guard the stash which is the absolutely condition where he may "shine"...but still he's very useless for the points.

Haha, I wasn't trying to convince you, I totally agree!

• Like 1

Hans' upgrade discard may as well not be on the card. I don't think that's in question. What he brings are answers to a number of questions your opponent may pose, and in certain instances he is worth his weight in soulstones. If your opponent does bring any of the things he's good at dealing with then he's a huge waste.

EDIT: Just not as much of a waste as a Hanged with Jack Daw.

In non- tournament games, Hanged is OK, it's funny to play him. It can bring some great plays to table and it's easy to learn JD pushes with him (already tormented model).
Two Hanged are always risky play. Imagine you will play against arcanists and rasputina ;)

But in tournament games you can better use that 9ss. It equals to 2 scheme runners, or 1 ss more and you can have some nasty 10 ss outcast beater.