Ten Thunders Combos and Synergies

Kihraxz

Hi Everyone,

I am compiling a list of combinations and synergies for the Ten Thunder and was hoping you of the Forums would have some input. Please only list 2 models in the Ten Thunders Faction and explain how they interact. Include any upgrades, or specific scenarios where the combo would be useful. 

Thanks 

Lynch and Brothers for being able to discard aces for defensive and immediately picking them up. Lynch also makes a bunch of tricks possible with Dance of the Heavens. If you have aces, you can cheat fate with them to guarantee a specific effect without losing the card. If you have the ace of rams as well as any other ace, you can pick the option to draw a card and then discard a card using the ace of rams, and then discard another ace, followed by picking both the aces you discarded during the action back up to your hand. With a bit of luck, this makes for a great way to bump up your hand size for a hugely damaging Final Debt.

1 hour ago, Paradigm said:

Lynch and Brothers for being able to discard aces for defensive and immediately picking them up. Lynch also makes a bunch of tricks possible with Dance of the Heavens. If you have aces, you can cheat fate with them to guarantee a specific effect without losing the card. If you have the ace of rams as well as any other ace, you can pick the option to draw a card and then discard a card using the ace of rams, and then discard another ace, followed by picking both the aces you discarded during the action back up to your hand. With a bit of luck, this makes for a great way to bump up your hand size for a hugely damaging Final Debt.

You can do Lynch's Ace trick with the emissary as well. Discard the ace and get Focus +2

There is another Combo in a Shen Long Crew using the emissary and a Low River Monk: Activate the Monk and use 1 AP for Focus +2 (he gets an additional Focus). If he is in 6" to Shen Long, he can Focus for (0). The Emissary (if carrying the Conflux of Dawn upgrade) can dispel the Monk for 3 cards

Earth Samurai with Misaki. 

Your opponent will want to cheat flip against the gatling gun to deal an easy 4 dg to him. But if they do, they're one step closer to a Misaki-fueled assassination run. ;) 4 dg isn't a deal-breaker on a 9 Wd model with Armor +2, but for added fun pair the Samurai up with a Wastrel or Obsidian Oni for the healing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rathnard said:

Earth Samurai with Misaki. 

Your opponent will want to cheat flip against the gatling gun to deal an easy 4 dg to him. But if they do, they're one step closer to a Misaki-fueled assassination run. ;) 4 dg isn't a deal-breaker on a 9 Wd model with Armor +2, but for added fun pair the Samurai up with a Wastrel or Obsidian Oni for the healing.  

Just checking: you are aware the 4 damage on the samurai miss ignores armour, right?

Tannen is a better combo for this tactic in my opinion with his cooler bubble: 2 cards every time opponent wants to cheat.

Huggy and Yin make a nice combo: Yin walks up then Huggy casts 'Heed My Voice' on target. Ca7 with built in suit. Walk target next to Yin to force a horror duel (Yin is terrifying (all) 12) which you still control. Cheat in an ace from your deck to paralyse. You could put 'Gnawing Fear' on from Yin too to make 'Heed My Voice' easier to get off, but then you won't be able to cheat the horror test....

• Like 2

I know someone who took Lust with Lynch too. Once he got the ace :tome in hand, he would just repeatedly attack Lust (works best with <6 attack stat and another ace in hand) and cheat in the :tomefor defence. He claims to have drawn 15 cards in a turn this way. He tried it at a tournament and didn't do great - I think he may have been over using the combo,  but theoretically it's sound.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Skitt_Happens said:

Just checking: you are aware the 4 damage on the samurai miss ignores armour, right?

Tannen is a better combo for this tactic in my opinion with his cooler bubble: 2 cards every time opponent wants to cheat

Yeah, I'm well aware that the 4dg ignores armour. That's why your opponent wants to cheat the flip. ;)

Tannen can drain cards better, but he also needs to be in the right place at the right time to do so. So he's great in games where the crews bunch up, but less so in games that call for mobility and spreading out, which is exactly the games i take Misaki for. In those cases the Samurai's 14" range and killing power work great for area denial and mowing down the cheap minions you tend to see.  

Basically then, I feel that the combo value of Tannen doesn't usually outweigh the Samurai's additional "synergy" with the strategy and schemes i actually take Misaki for. :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Skitt_Happens said:

Tannen is a better combo for this tactic in my opinion with his cooler bubble: 2 cards every time opponent wants to cheat.

Huggy and Yin make a nice combo: Yin walks up then Huggy casts 'Heed My Voice' on target. Ca7 with built in suit. Walk target next to Yin to force a horror duel (Yin is terrifying (all) 12) which you still control. Cheat in an ace from your deck to paralyse. You could put 'Gnawing Fear' on from Yin too to make 'Heed My Voice' easier to get off, but then you won't be able to cheat the horror test....

I love this idea!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Skitt_Happens said:

I know someone who took Lust with Lynch too. Once he got the ace :tome in hand, he would just repeatedly attack Lust (works best with <6 attack stat and another ace in hand) and cheat in the :tomefor defence. He claims to have drawn 15 cards in a turn this way. He tried it at a tournament and didn't do great - I think he may have been over using the combo,  but theoretically it's sound.

I'm not really sure if that works this way. Ace in the hole says that you can pick up the ace in your friendly models activation. It's not her activation as long as she is defending. 

2 hours ago, qoob said:

I'm not really sure if that works this way. Ace in the hole says that you can pick up the ace in your friendly models activation. It's not her activation as long as she is defending. 

What it doesn't say, is that it only works against enemy attacks. A good example is you put a TT Bro next to her. You have the ace of :tome and :ram in hand. Activate the Brother. (0) and cheat the :ram to draw a card and discard the :tome. Pick up both aces. Then Brother attacks Lust, cheat the :ram on attack and the :tome on defence. The attack misses  (Bro Ml5, Lust Df6) and you draw a card and pick up both aces. Repeat. 3 cards drawn in TT Bro's activation.

It doesn't have to be that models activation, as long as it is during a friendly models activation. It is the TT Bro's activation.

I haven't tried it, just something I was told about. Danger being you spend all turn drawing cards instead of playing the game. Yes, doing 20 damage with 'Woke Up With A Hand' is going to kill anything, but it's no substitute for scoring VP.

2 hours ago, Skitt_Happens said:

What it doesn't say, is that it only works against enemy attacks. A good example is you put a TT Bro next to her. You have the ace of :tome and :ram in hand. Activate the Brother. (0) and cheat the :ram to draw a card and discard the :tome. Pick up both aces. Then Brother attacks Lust, cheat the :ram on attack and the :tome on defence. The attack misses  (Bro Ml5, Lust Df6) and you draw a card and pick up both aces. Repeat. 3 cards drawn in TT Bro's activation.

It doesn't have to be that models activation, as long as it is during a friendly models activation. It is the TT Bro's activation.

I haven't tried it, just something I was told about. Danger being you spend all turn drawing cards instead of playing the game. Yes, doing 20 damage with 'Woke Up With A Hand' is going to kill anything, but it's no substitute for scoring VP.

I have to try that :D

Yan Lo with Brutal Kakkhara and Bone Ascendant + either Senseii Yu or Emissary (doesn't say non-leader?) giving him fast = 2 8" placements and as many attacks as there are enemies in 2" of him each time.

This is more than 2 models, but: Shen Long + Peasant witnessing a Miracle generates an extra peasant and a scheme marker.  Toshiro uses that scheme marker to give out free focus to all minions within 6", I believe. This is a free start of turn action for Shen and a zero for Toshiro.

McCabe with Badge of Speed + Austringer can generate 2 out of turn interacts within 18" of the Austringer- great for Convict Labor, Mark for Death...  Really, though, reactivate is just bananas on alot of minions.

I really like Sensei Yu with Wandering River Style and Izamu with Recalled Training-  10" push, fast- 4 attacks with 3/4/5 damage with + to attack and ++ to damage- will take out at least one model, can fairly easily take out two, depending on what they are.

• Like 2

Misdirection (on your master of course) with either a Samurai with health upgrade or Izamu in tow. Nothing like having a free armor2 transfer target :D. This is a brewie trick I got from another thread, where you use that samurai as an obey target to avoid his damage and use him as a giant bodyguard.

McCabe + Jorogumo. I really like this particular piece of synergy as McCabe can grant two things that the Jorogumo really benefit from: armor and movement tricks. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Yvarre said:

Yan Lo with Brutal Kakkhara and Bone Ascendant + either Senseii Yu or Emissary (doesn't say non-leader?) giving him fast = 2 8" placements and as many attacks as there are enemies in 2" of him each time.

This is more than 2 models, but: Shen Long + Peasant witnessing a Miracle generates an extra peasant and a scheme marker.  Toshiro uses that scheme marker to give out free focus to all minions within 6", I believe. This is a free start of turn action for Shen and a zero for Toshiro.

McCabe with Badge of Speed + Austringer can generate 2 out of turn interacts within 18" of the Austringer- great for Convict Labor, Mark for Death...  Really, though, reactivate is just bananas on alot of minions.

I really like Sensei Yu with Wandering River Style and Izamu with Recalled Training-  10" push, fast- 4 attacks with 3/4/5 damage with + to attack and ++ to damage- will take out at least one model, can fairly easily take out two, depending on what they are.

I love all of these. I have not used Yan Lo yet but this makes a lot of sense. 

I had not thought of the Austringer one. That's crazy.

I love using Izamu as a missile. Do you use it in certain situations or just when you want something dead?

On 6/4/2016 at 5:41 PM, Rathnard said:

Yeah, I'm well aware that the 4dg ignores armour. That's why your opponent wants to cheat the flip. ;)

Tannen can drain cards better, but he also needs to be in the right place at the right time to do so. So he's great in games where the crews bunch up, but less so in games that call for mobility and spreading out, which is exactly the games i take Misaki for. In those cases the Samurai's 14" range and killing power work great for area denial and mowing down the cheap minions you tend to see.  

Basically then, I feel that the combo value of Tannen doesn't usually outweigh the Samurai's additional "synergy" with the strategy and schemes i actually take Misaki for. :)

Largely I agree Samurai definitely has more use with Misaki overall and agree Tannen is a place and time kinda guy. So do you not use Misaki in Turf War/Extraction?

I loved using McCabe, Ototo and Sidir in games with distract to hand out tonnes of slow to everything in a five mile radius of Ototo. And I suppose giving a lot of slow is still decent enough if you also want them dead when Ototo is around. Burns cards like crazy. And if they aren't particularly clustered together, nimble and Sidir's shooting give enough options to pick off models one by one. 

• Like 1

On 05/06/2016 at 7:10 PM, Yvarre said:

Emissary is non-leader, unfortunately. Otherwise Yu would very rarely get out the box (that sentence sounds unintentionally threatening...)

22 hours ago, R2DCHU said:

Largely I agree Samurai definitely has more use with Misaki overall and agree Tannen is a place and time kinda guy. So do you not use Misaki in Turf War/Extraction?

Yep. For a strategy like Turf war or Extraction, Yan Lo tends to be my prefered Master. He helps his crew stay alive, Swaps models around and tends to be very good at holding up key enemy models, all of which help alot in Turf War/Extraction. 

• Like 1