Having trouble with Jack daw. Help!

Killersox

Hey guys. So I have been playing a lot lately and no matter what the schemes or strat I literally cannot beat Jack daw. He tables me almost every time before turn 4. I have almost all the gremlins except the brewmaster box, the pigapault, zadoria, and stuff that hasn't been released yet. 

The list he tends to run is Jack, rusty Alice, Lazarus, two guilty, a nurse, and a trapper. There are a few upgrades here and there but for the most part that's it. I get blown away so fast it's crazy. There are a total of 9 good shots, a garunteed paralyze, and Jack shutting someone down. You can tie anything up either because the whole army can just push three inches before anything moves. Grrr.

I get so do discouraged that I don't even know what to do. Sammy shutting down Jack with no triggers in nice but it is only for one turn before she gets blow away. 

The long and short of it is help! What would you guys do? Wong, Ophelia, and ulix are my favorites by the way. But I'm open to anything.

• Like 1

Assuming you are playing with enough terrain to avoid running straight into ranged attacks:

Try taking a heavy summoning list like Somer or Ulix to out activate him and get in the way of having your key models getting cursed. Pigapult will allow you to hit him before he hits you. Quality Mash Liqour is your friend.

Focus on Strats & Schemes, if his focus is on tabling you then you can still pull out a win.

I feel your pain on Jack Daw. My primary opponent's only crew was a Jack Daw list running 1-2 hanged and I also find it very frustrating at times. Between oldest magic and cover, you probably aren't going to kill Daw, while armor and incorporeal makes most of his other crew equally resilient. You also can't reliably tarpit because he can just push his guys out of engagements. When I've been successful against him, it's been exactly the way D6Damager describes. Identify and focus on your VPs, protect what matters, and clog his meat grinder with the shattered bodies of a million bayous. Taking Show Off with Pere and a swarmy Somer crew also works well, assuming he's not running too many freikorps.

Not a gremlins player so can't help out with faction specific things but when it comes to taking on Jack Daw it's probably best to avoid direct confrontation. Always go for your schemes and strategies as these are what actually decides who wins and looses. If you do try to take him out Jack's :-fate to attack and damage flips against him are a real pain so if you can find a way to gain :+fate to your flips your ap is less likely to be more effective. Jack's crew can generate a lot of horror duels so high WP models are great (Liquid Bravery could help with this) 

• 1 month later...

Wong casting should ignore incorporeal, as should a magical Mctavish. MCT can make you cover vs that shooting. Focus if terrain makes it necessary with cover to be able to cheat in severe. You could take some stuffed piglets to out activate and then rush them into his lines and target them with Wong.. again to cheat severe damage for blasts/pulse. That should put on enough pressure that the rest of your crew can run schemes.

On 4/11/2016 at 7:27 PM, RumbleMunkey said:

I also tend to use Lenny more offensively in this matchup. Unrelenting Terror on the Hanged is less of a problem if you're too dumb to get paralyzed.

I think hanged can paralyze Lenny. Their rule that strips immunity to paralyze is more specific than Lenny's immune to conditions. 

I would probably recommend Som'er with the Liquid Bravery and Encouragement upgrades (Get Your Bro is the last). Probably best to run him in a standard Summon list with Lenny and a Pigapult doing your heavy lifting. Pigapult has a high enough WP to not care about WP duels and Encouragement helps boost its performance. Lenny provides the ammo. Slop Hauler heals everything (you will be running a lot of self-inflicted wounds, might be worth running two). Your Minions will be getting WP +2 (in the Liquid Bravery bubble) and also able to gain a :+fate flip to any duels resulting from their actions at the cost of 1 Wd.

Jack Daw's crew has a lot of inbuilt defenses but the above along with focusing on one at a time should help.

Basically anything which has :+fate on attack (built in or with Focus) and targets Jack's Df would deal with him quite easily.  Having low Df is not is strongest suit.

Also remember that his Ca action has only 8'' of range so he must be pretty aggressive to drop those Curses on your models and many fresh players tend to over-extend him thus making him easier to kill.

1 hour ago, daniello_s said:

Basically anything which has :+fate on attack (built in or with Focus) and targets Jack's Df would deal with him quite easily.  Having low Df is not is strongest suit.

Also remember that his Ca action has only 8'' of range so he must be pretty aggressive to drop those Curses on your models and many fresh players tend to over-extend him thus making him easier to kill.

Agreed. Don't be overly daunted by that negative flip. Focus is your friend, anything that gets you a plus flip is your friend, and once you cancel Oldest Magic Jack has a miserable Df of 4. 

If it is the :-fate modifiers on Attack and Damage Flips getting you down then the Moon Shinobi's seem custom built to deal with that. They also have fairly decent base stats along with being Minions (so Liquid Bravery can boost them to Wp 7, it will also protect your Leader model from those Wp based attacks a bit).

• Like 1