New player, Tara and the next step

olterman

So I have been dragged kicking and screaming through the breach and found that I enjoy card shuffling and Weird (wyrd?!) gothic steampunk. 

I have the following models in my box 

Tara
Karina 
Nothing Beast 
3x Void Wretches
3x Guild Autopsies
3x Crooked men
3x Punk Zombies
1x Death Marshal 
1x Hanged 
1x Drowned

Not played much so far but for 35ss I generally play a bury game have yet to get the hang of using fast/slow effectively, So I default to this list

Tara 
Karina 
Nothing Beast
3x Void Wretches
Death Marshal 

Now my question is where do I go fro here, Have been looking at buying Hannah and KillJoy but I would love to have the option of another master to be able to choose different play styles. 

Hannah is great support but having her in the crew cripples Nothing Beast and Void Wretches. She also works well with every other Outcast master so overally she is good choice.

Killjoy works nice with Tara and her Killjoy-bomb shenanigans. He also finds good spot in Hamelin's crew.

As for models for Tara's crew I would recommend Johan as a cheap beat-stick and condition removal and Aionus if you want to explore more burying style of the game.

If you are looking for outcast masters that utilize the models you already own, Jack Daw has the most overlap with your current selection available. He can use the crooked men the hanged and the drowned.  Leveticus can also hire undead models, but I'm not seeing much synergy with the models you currently own.  The sad thing about Tara's crew box is that aside from the void wretches (as cheap scheme runners) the other models do not translate well into other crews. 

If you are thinking ressers, you got a decent selection for a Horror Molly build as well. 

If you are looking to expand Tara a bit I would definitely look at getting a 2nd death marshal as it makes the dead of winter upgrade a more efficient buy during hiring. 

Just FYI I'm approaching this entirely from an economic perspective of utilizing what you already have. Which is some pretty decent stuff.

What kind of Molly list? I'm assuming you want to run a killjoy bomb?

It's basically Molly, sybelle, killjoy, a summoned necrotic machine (her totem) and then models and upgrades added to flavor according to the scenario.

If you are planning on playing horror Molly in addition to what you already have you'll most likely want yin. Probably a university of transmortis box for summoning the students.

Edited by Fetid Strumpet

Hmm, after much contemplation I realise that I don't really wanna run a resser crew, so I am leaning to going into more outcasts. which means I guess that many of my models are a bit superflous, Since Tara is a bit tricky I am thinking of some more straight forward playstyle for my second master. Wondering if Jack daw is my guy or if I should go for some straight forward violence with victorias ..... decisions, decisions ...

I am pretty new to the game as well, which means I don't exactly know what I am talking about... But I have been playing Jack with his crew box, crooked men and the hanged, varying the crew based on what the schemes and strategies are (for example, if it is scheme marker heavy I might swap a guilty or two for some crooked men, if my oppionent has a lot of big nasties that heal themselves I'll play the hanged, etc.) Like I said, I don't really know the game very well at all yet, but you could add the Jack Daw crew box to the models you already have, and there would be a few different lists you can play there.

For example, Jack (3 curses, twist and turn, writhing torment), Montresor (fearful whispers, creeping terror), Lady Ligeia, 2 Crooked Men, 2 Guilty and The Hanged is a 50SS crew. The other nice thing about Jack is you can just stick any cool Outcast model you like the look of in there and use The Guilty to make it tormented, and then it can benefit from all the cool movement tricks and action-borrowing that Jack can mess around with - that's where I am now, I feel like I have a feel for the core of the game and I am thinking about what other models I want to try out in the crew (mainly based on how good the models look!)

Edit: It occurred to me that you might get some mileage out of Void Wretches with Jack as well - if you don't need The Guilty for tormenting your own models, and don't intend to try and torment the enemy the Wretches might be nice scheme runners. The Nothing Beast might be fun to ship around with tormented as well - and I don't know what attacks it has that Jack can borrow, but that might be fun.

TL;DR - I am also new and have had a lot of fun with more or less the same pool of models you have, but with the Jack Daw box instead of the Tara one.

4 hours ago, olterman said:

What would you reccomend as a starting list with Jack given my existing models and maybe adding one or two 

Based on what you have I would go for:

Jack with Twist and Turn, Writhing Torment and 3 Curses, Hanged, Drowned, Crooked Man plus I would invest in Nurse, Taelor, Johan. That would leave you with 6SS left (plus 2SS cache) and I would go for either Void Wretch/Winged Plague or Lady Ligeia.

I would recommend some form of large hitter. 

My Typical ones to consider are - Bishop, Taelor, Desolation Engine, Johan, Rusty Alyce. I will grant you the desolation engine is a very niche choice, and Rusty and Taelor are both only in crew boxes, so you might also want to look at The Strong arm suit, Lazarus and Hannah. You probably don't need more than 2 in a list. 

Other than that you have a decent selection of models to play at 50ss.

Ok so I have ordered the Jack Daw box and I ordered bishop, oh and killjoy. I also decided to get myself a box of viktorias as well because chicks with swords (and I get Taelor) .... Hannah, Nurses and Johan were out of stock in the store where I order, so next time. 

Now when would I choose what master? I get that this will get second nature as I get more games under my belt but for now..... 

7 hours ago, olterman said:

Ok so I have ordered the Jack Daw box and I ordered bishop, oh and killjoy. I also decided to get myself a box of viktorias as well because chicks with swords (and I get Taelor) .... Hannah, Nurses and Johan were out of stock in the store where I order, so next time. 

Now when would I choose what master? I get that this will get second nature as I get more games under my belt but for now..... 

It's really all dependent on schemes and strategies. I've only recently begun playing, and I find the hardest part of the game is before it even starts. I would initially suggest looking at PullMyFinger for suggestions on when best to run each master, or Schemes and Stones if you're into podcasts. 

However you want to experiment with models and when to run them to find your personal playstyle. The game has a big learning curve, so don't be afraid to make mistakes. 

I will also suggest that you stick to 2 masters and work from there. There's already so many models to potentially run in each situation, that are not masters, that keeping the variability there down to a minimum is a good choice. That being said, I would run Jack Daw and the Viks, as they'll give you a good spread of capabilities between models, control and killiness respectively.

On 16/02/2016 at 4:48 PM, olterman said:

That is a very big question.  With the huge number of possible combinations of masters and the rest of your crew, you could almost argue that it doesn't matter too much which master you play into a particular situation, because it is possible to build the rest of your crew to cover them.  For example, you could take the Viktorias in a non-killing strategy and scheme pool and take the rest of your pieces as ones which would allow you to score your own points.  In such a case you can send off the Viks to spoil the other crew's day and pin them back (or whatever you want to achieve).

You have to consider the strategy and scheme pool, the other faction (and likely crew composition if you can make a reasonable estimate) and the board layout before you could make your crew; at least assuming that you have the hypothetical 'bottomless case' that includes every piece you could want.  Ultimately, and I realise that this is quite useless advice, the best master to choose is the one that you're in the mood for playing at that time.  Even at tournaments where I win, I quite often look back and realise that I've chosen my master based on some quite arbitrary reasons.

As ever, SpiralngCadavr's advice is spot on.  Pick a pair of masters and play them regardless of the strategy and scheme pool for a few games so you can see what they're good and bad at and also what holes in them you can patch with crew construction.  The reason for picking two masters is to stop regular opponents from counterpicking you if you play against the same group of friends for the majority of your games.

Good luck.  (0) Welcome to Malifaux!

• Like 2