ONI, any interaction so far?

Gennosuke

Hi all!

So an easy question, is there any direct repercussion/interaction/whatever, of any kind, so far, that I may have overlooked that affects models with the "ONI" characteristic? (I'm glad to hear Campaign/TTB implications too).

And by the way, how many Oni have we so far?

>Ama no Zako

>Kamaitachi

>Jorogumo

>Tengu

>Obsidian Oni

Am I missing any?

Do you expect any kind of development in the Oni-field in wave 4?

Nothing yet uses the Oni characteristic (to my knowledge). I have noticed that most Oni tend to not be Living, Undead or Constructs, though (so they don't drop markers when they die and don't interact with certain rules that require the models to be those things, like Kang's auras, certain versions of Terrifying, etc. It is interesting that the characteristic would exist at all, except as something that could be used by a yet-to-be-released model. I have no idea if any more masters will ever be released, but one that is, or interacts with, Oni would be a really cool addition to the faction, and would be a nice way of adding another single-faction master to our ranks that would come with a stable of models to use ready for them.

It's worth noting that the Last Blossom characteristic on the Jorogumo was also added last-minute; they didn't have it during the beta, so I don't think they were originally intended to be specifically for Misaki and her henchmen to use.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in wave 4 that interacted with them, considering we got two new ones in wave 3. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be pretty cool.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BigHammer said:

I have no idea if any more masters will ever be released, but one that is, or interacts with, Oni would be a really cool addition to the faction [...]

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in wave 4 that interacted with them, considering we got two new ones in wave 3. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be pretty cool.

I so agree witth you ^^ Although I'd be happy enough with an upgrade for Ama the kind of Wrath's one, which would allow her to be a master with some benefits...

Btw, there are any other characteristic with no repercussion in-game?

• Like 1

From memory

Gamin and Swarm have no effect that I can think of. 

Black sheep sort of has no effect. (It allows McCabe to hire in either faction, but he can already hire all of them in either faction. It does allow 3 models to carry promises so that might count)

Academic has 1 rule in arcanist( Adding tomes to oxfordian mages) (who only have 1) whilst there are 4 ressurectionists and 2 outcast. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adran said:

Yes but Queeg is also a Guardsman isn't he, so could be brought across that way. 

Being a Black Sheep lets him take the Promises upgrade; being a Guardsman gives him some positive interactions with Guild models. So, there's already a reason for both characteristics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the guardsman suptype had no interaction with anything whatsoever but then book 2 hit and it got a ton of models with guardsman specific buffs and synergies. Granted that the first two waves it was known what was going to be added so it isn't a perfect example.

I think it's safe to say that Oni will gain relevance at some point but impossible to know if it's the next wave or later and how big of a synergy it's going to be. 

• 4 weeks later...