Ramos tips and advice?

The Warlock

16 hours ago, Breng77 said:

Sure you don't need to do it, but I disagree on it being a solid plan A but that probably goes back to playstyle,  I find that against good opponents and strong models the chances of killing something better than Howard is low.  Now in frame for murder it is a great plan, I just find it a plan where you are trading him sir something and at 12 stones that needs to be a really good something.

I agree that most of the time its not going to be worth Trading Howard for 1 enemy model. 

About 90% of the time you do this, it shouldn't be trading him for 1 model. (because you are at a point that 1 activation of counter attacking is not going to take him out.).

If it looks like doing it would result in him dying, then don't do it unless its a great pay off. But there isn't a lot that can consistently  get through Df 5 11 wds Armor +1 in 1 activation. And if he gets to activate in turn 2 he can either run for cover or take out a second model, at which point it is probably worth the trade. But you should decide that before you make the first attack run. 

• 1 month later...

I will hijack this topic as my question is related to Ramos and there is a little point to start a new thread on basically same subject.

As it seems I'll get Ramos' box with ton of spiders plus Soulstone Miner and Large Arachnid. I know the value of Miner but anyone can tell me something more about Large Arachnid? It is slow (Wk4) so do I presume its main purpose would be body-guarding Ramos when Joss and Howard are busy killing stuff?

It is a solid beater. Its a cheaper way of getting 2 scrap on the first turn than Joss, and it can remove on table resources. 

I'd never use it to breakthrough, and its probably not going to stake many claims, but as a second wave fighter, or area threat. it does fairly well.

19 hours ago, daniello_s said:

I will hijack this topic as my question is related to Ramos and there is a little point to start a new thread on basically same subject.

As it seems I'll get Ramos' box with ton of spiders plus Soulstone Miner and Large Arachnid. I know the value of Miner but anyone can tell me something more about Large Arachnid? It is slow (Wk4) so do I presume its main purpose would be body-guarding Ramos when Joss and Howard are busy killing stuff?

If you can find an extra soulstone miner I'll give you one -no wait, both my kidneys for one. I can't find one anywhere. Also I'd ask that a Ramos Sticky is made- he's relatively popular and there's stickies for Toni, Collette, Marcus and someone else.

Large arachnids are slow with decent charge and functions like Joss with creative salvage. They can gain more armour on top of what they have. and possess a 0 action to remove nearby scrap or scheme markers to gain:+fate to flips. So that's useful vs masters who need scrap markers or just to disrupt schemes/strats that need scheme markers. I'll get back when they're finally released (I forget to proxy things). So far it looks like it'll be handy to keep backfield to prevent any scheme markers being placed in your turf, etc.

I started this topic, so I guess it doesn't count as necromancy? I'm too young and not-ugly-enough yet to be turned into a witchling stalker.

If you are going the spider summoning route, I feel you really need to take the upgrade that lets Ramos summon electrical creations. These little guys are amazing at tying up enemy models and when they die they give you all the scrap you will ever need. I probably summon one a turn when going the summoner route.

21 minutes ago, Griffin839 said:

If you are going the spider summoning route, I feel you really need to take the upgrade that lets Ramos summon electrical creations. These little guys are amazing at tying up enemy models and when they die they give you all the scrap you will ever need. I probably summon one a turn when going the summoner route.

I find it a struggle to get the cards to summon 2+ spiders and an electrical creation each turn. It will almost always mean I have to use 1-2 stones a turn, which means I need to build a huge cache and probably Arcane reservoir. Also, left to their devices they don't drop scrap until turn 3, and by then I expect enough early spiders will have died to get me enough scrap for the whole game.

That said, I really like the electrical creation, and it can be great damage against so many things. 

On 2/3/2016 at 11:17 AM, madaxeman said:

one of the other non-obvious-to-a-newbie "tricks" is that Brass Arachnid can add a tome to itself, and then re-wire itself in its first activation, and that means it can then reactivate 2 different models in its second (re) activation

I've actually found that trick to make it completely worthwhile just as activation control in Ramos's generally (initially) small model count Crew.  4 SS for 2 activations is pretty good, and just reactivating himself and a double walking on his second activation can get him in position for a double reactivate later, where he goes from alright to legitimately incredible.

1 hour ago, Adran said:

I find it a struggle to get the cards to summon 2+ spiders and an electrical creation each turn. It will almost always mean I have to use 1-2 stones a turn, which means I need to build a huge cache and probably Arcane reservoir. Also, left to their devices they don't drop scrap until turn 3, and by then I expect enough early spiders will have died to get me enough scrap for the whole game.

When I play Ramos in a summoner role, I go all out on that strategy. I take a full soulstone cache, arcane reservoir, under pressure, and electrical summoning. Then I take the mech rider as well to fill out the summoning package.  I am constantly using my hand and soulstones to keep the constant stream of constructs coming. The way I play this is like most people play resurrectionists. That is to jam them with spiders and electrical creations while the rest of my models run around unmolested and complete schemes and strats.

Yep, me too Griffin. I take all of the summoning. It starts at a pretty elite seven models and ends up with almost twice that easily maintained for most of the games.

It's a rare match that I need to swarm together, single spiders are usually so much better for the cumulative DF penalty and activation control that they can bring. Plus, preferably with powered by flame nearby, most things get eaten up just as quickly (if not quicker usually) than with a swarm.

I played in last 4 games Ramos and I'm testing Combat Mechanic.

At the start I didn't like so much but now I think it's a fucking overpower upgrade xD, if you win initiative one turn can do Spiders near the target you want kill to low Def + shot + shot or heal if you need and for chain activation take Joss and charge to the spiders low Def objective to destroy it out triggers.