Dia de los Muertos - The Ortegas & Co.

haychdee

• 3 months later...

GREAT STUFF!! 

I just recently started Malifaux and love to convert. At least that was what I did before Malifaux, I've started doing it with some sorrow models from pandoras crew, but after researching a bit, i found out that conversions aren't as appreciated in Malifaux as they are in other games.

I read somewhere that 66% of the model needs to be the original sculpt. Otherwise tournament organizers may disqualify you. Is this something that you have encountered as well? Because some models have (in my opinion) bad poses or details that I dislike. And in the case of posing the difficulties are when you create a new pose you have less than 66% of the original sculpt. You might keep the head and weapons but the "core" would be exchanged. 

Your work is much appreciated, keep it up. You have inspired me!

• 2 weeks later...
On 27.12.2016 at 0:49 AM, Grizelgrandt said:

GREAT STUFF!! 

I just recently started Malifaux and love to convert. At least that was what I did before Malifaux, I've started doing it with some sorrow models from pandoras crew, but after researching a bit, i found out that conversions aren't as appreciated in Malifaux as they are in other games.

I read somewhere that 66% of the model needs to be the original sculpt. Otherwise tournament organizers may disqualify you. Is this something that you have encountered as well? Because some models have (in my opinion) bad poses or details that I dislike. And in the case of posing the difficulties are when you create a new pose you have less than 66% of the original sculpt. You might keep the head and weapons but the "core" would be exchanged. 

Your work is much appreciated, keep it up. You have inspired me!

You need 66% Wyrd miniature OR original sculpt. If you sculpt a mini 100% yourself and it's clear what it represents, it should be fine...

As per GG you can't have more than 1/3 other companies' stuff...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You put WAAAY more effort into yours, and I do love them - especially your Perdita. Which way did you decide to paint the faces, black first and then outline the white or white first and then color in with the black? I went black first and I was underwhelmed with the effect.

On 3/12/2017 at 3:40 AM, iamfanboy said:

You put WAAAY more effort into yours, and I do love them - especially your Perdita. Which way did you decide to paint the faces, black first and then outline the white or white first and then color in with the black? I went black first and I was underwhelmed with the effect.

Thanks!

I did white first then added the black and then the other colours on top.

I did Perdita last and I think it turned out the best. I airbrushed the white on for good coverage first, then took my super super fine bristle brush and carefully added everything else on.

• Like 2

Hey all,

So this update is very long overdue (as always). I never really got around to tying this project up properly so I figured now is the time to do it.

For people following this thread I did finish my crew and the new display board in time for the UK Nationals last year. The display board took me pretty much 5 weeks on the run up and though I was happy with the end product it wasn't worth the stress. I walked away with 2nd place for painting (players vote) missing out on 1st by 1 vote. I was beaten by a rather nice 10T crew in the end for the painting and a fantastic Dark Carnival piece for the display board category.

Then once all that was over it was Christmas and then real life stuff got in the way and I never got around to updating this thread. Then being the mastermind I am I tidied up my photobucket the other month and broke all my links (go me!).

So today I re-linked all my work and grabbed some finished pictures of the individual crew members. I had to pinch them from my Instagram so they're not the best quality but it's all I have I'm afraid.

Perdita

Perd_zpsogxukodq.jpg

Enslaved Nephelim

Neph_zpsh0r4m50v.jpg

Santiago

Santi_zpsnabc9289.jpg

Francisco

Fran_zps6xwq3weh.jpg

Nino

Nino_zpsqmqkn8zq.jpg

Papa Loco

Loco_zps5y8eddah.jpg

Abuela & Senor Hodor

Abs_zpswxcqjybj.jpg

Executioner

Exy_zpsgromvrxw.jpg

A WIP of their display board

DB1_zpsxxoyuctj.jpg

And the finished article with all the family

DB2_zpstskoiq4q.jpg

And that is the Ortega family all done and dusted for now. Sadly I never did finish the Peacekeeper though I will get around to that at some point. I really enjoyed this project and I learnt a load of stuff in the process. Massive thanks to those that have followed this project and provided your suggestions and comments.

And now currently I am on to my new project, Marcus!

I have started not only a new crew but a website/blog as well. So if you'd like to follow my progress you can find my website at www.haychdee.com

And if you're on Instagram or Twitter you can also find me at @haychdee

So that's it for now. I will hopefully be back with some updates in the future.

hd

• Like 9