Buried models and abilities

spydr261

Question

What abilities can a model use when it is buried? I know buried models can't declare triggers per the FAQ but do they benefit from other abilities like Terrifying or Manipulative? If a Void Wretch attacks a buried model with one of those abilities, will it have to make a duel? It seems strange if it would. The question can also extend to other abilities like the Doppelganger's Ill Omens or Lillith's Rush of Magic.

7 answers to this question

The abilities on a buried model are still resolved if/when they become relevant.  The section in the Buried rules

In addition, buried models are never considered to be in LoS or within range of effects. These models do not count as "in play" for the purposes of other rules that reference whether or not a model is in play.

generally limits the number of abilities that are relevant (and makes it difficult to attack Buried models), though.

But, otherwise, abilities still exist just as much as the model's stats still exist.

How does this reconcile with models like Bete Noire.

When this model is reduced to 0 wounds... take the One with the Night action.

One with the Night: Bury..then remove all conditions and heal all damage..

Usually for multi-part statements, if you can't do one part or it doesn't apply, you still do the others, right. So even if she can't bury because she's already buried, wouldn't the other parts still happen? Is there specifically a 'already buried models can't be buried' rule I'm not thinking of. Does the 'then' in One with the Night somehow indicate that the first part must happen before the rest can? Somewhat similar to part of the discussion of the recent Hannah's Void marker thread, I think? Can't find wherever the FAQ ended up to look through there. Wouldn't be surprised if it's in there somewhere.

I think that Bette Noir cannot get benefit from that ability because:

"If a model that is buried is killed, it will not benefit from any abilities that happens on themodel's death."

I think that reduce to 0 wounds it means killed, and the bette would not activate the ability. Because that ability happens at the model's death.

Same with Leveticus if I remember well.

EDIT: And I know that bette's action says "before count as killed". But remember, thats in the action and not in the ability.

Edited by AoS

"If a model that is buried is killed, it will not benefit from any abilities that happens on themodel's death."

I think that reduce to 0 wounds it means killed, and the bette would not activate the ability. Because that ability happens at the model's death.

correct.

That's the only way to kill Levi and score full points for assassinate as well

EDIT: And I know that bette's action says "before count as killed". But remember, thats in the action and not in the ability.

The before counting as killed is in the ability, not the action.

Death Rattles: When this model is reduced to 0 wounds, it may immediately take the (1) One With the Night Action before counting as killed. If the Action succeeds this model is not killed.