A Ten Thunder Overview

Halflingspy

Greetings, Ninjas!

At our website, Sprites and Dice, we've been slowly going through all the factions, talking about what makes them special.  What makes the 10 Thunders a group that you want to collect?  It's a strange question, since the 10 Thunders are a faction made up of all the others...but that's the fun, right?

Who is your favorite Duel-Faction master?  Do you think the 10-Thunders hit that sweet spot of blending faction identities?

http://www.spritesanddice.com/2015/06/malifaux-factions-ten-thunders-to.html

• Like 4

loved the write-up! nice to see my favorite faction getting some love!

I think 10T does an okay job of blending the dual faction with their respective masters. McCabe doesn't necessarily feel like a guild master all the time, but he allows limited access to models that make his crew feel guild-y. same with Mei and Jakob. That being said, I think that is a lot less true for Misaki and Brewmaster. Brewmaster brings the humor from the grems, but it doesn't feel as high risk high reward as the gremlins usually play. Not to say he isn't fun (probably is my favorite at the moment) but he doesn't feel like the gremlins to me.

My favorite dual faction master is probably a tie between Brewmaster (who is still pretty new in my rotation so it might just be shiny and new syndrome that I'm feeling) and Yan Lo.

Yeah, your faction write up is missing some gems, man. :P

Brewie is awesome, and out in plastic for reals. He actually exists!

Shen Long maybe not so much, but he's a lot of fun, and has a very interesting and flexible playstyle mechanism.

Yan Lo has a bad rap- his toolbox is delicate, but can be very strong in the right hands.

That being said... Man. To pick a fave out of the set is difficult for me. I currently run Brew, Lynch, Mei, and Lucas.... I think the most fun I've had is probably Lynch. Lucas and Brewie seem most competitive based on strats and schemes. 

ENinja

Ten Thunders is solid and well-balanced, with each crew excelling at a particular area. Ten Thunders masters tend to be ignored by their cross-faction, which is advantageous in a tournament set-up. Most people don't plan to face Outcast Misaki or Arcanist Mei Feng, although that may be my local meta.

Ten Thunders rewards commitment to a strategy, which might be where Jeremy conflicts with Brewmaster. I like the faction because it gives me the best tools for the job and extra tools for faking out my opponent. <3 my bit of everything faction.

Ten Thunders rewards commitment to a strategy, which might be where Jeremy conflicts with Brewmaster. I like the faction because it gives me the best tools for the job and extra tools for faking out my opponent. <3 my bit of everything faction.

Not sure where this came from, as Brewmaster is currently my favorite master in my favorite faction. Only point I was making there is Brewmaster and Misaki feel more like 10T masters to me than their dual faction counterparts.

Lynch, Feng, and McCabe can all build 10T crews that feel and play more like their dual faction due to things they can hire in thanks to infiltration. Brewmaster, Misaki, and to a lesser extent Yan Lo, even when hiring their out of faction stuff still feel like 10T masters to me which is likely why I tend to run these three over the others.

I'm not conflicting with brewie at all. as I mentioned a couple times already, he is currently my favorite master in the game!

Ten Thunders was my first faction, and has since become my favorite thus far. I started playing this past Decemeber, with Misaki's crew as my starting crew. Since then, I've collected every TT crew, and every model within the TT faction that's since been released. With the exception of the Ten Thunder Brothers models, all of my TT faction models are ME2.

That all said, I have to say they're a very fun faction to play. After getting the mechanics of the game down, it took some time to recognize where each Master's true strengths are.  Of all the Masters, I've played with Misaki and Shenlong (via proxy) the most. I've played Yan Lo and Lynch once each, and am vying to try the other 3 I own soon.

As far as most powerful Master, it would be hard for me to say, but from the games I've played with Misaki and Shenlong, both can be versatile enough to accomplish most strategies and schemes. Shenlong himself has a decent damage spread, but his bread and butter comes from the upgrades he takes in tandem with Sensei Yu. I've found that his greatest strength isn't so much in the damage he can deal, but the way he helps his crew become that much better. Throw on an Enforcer that can dish out the damage (my favorite is Lone Swordsman, currently), and his crew would be a force to be reckoned with.

Misaki is all about her limited upgrades as well. Depending on scheme and strategy, you're taking either "Disguise" or "Stalking Bisento" with her. Personally, I tend to favor "Disguise", unless Reckoning is the Strategy in play.

Of the Master's I've yet to try, I'd have to say that I'm most interested in seeing the Brewmaster in action, if anything, just for the lulz. :D

• Like 1