Deciding to kick off a progression thread of my Malifaux now I've gotten to the stage where I'm not swearing at tiny limbs falling into carpet covered in plastic glue. 

Starting off with a couple of the colour primes and basecoats i've thrown down in the last two days. More to come as it occurs / if there is interest. 

*edit* hit the spoiler tags to check out the starting point

DSC_1004_zpsaakxu0qo.jpg

DSC_1006_zps0pe1is2g.jpg

DSC_1007_zpsolcptbnj.jpg

DSC_1008_zpsphhuhwqb.jpg

DSC_1009_zps92uagmfx.jpg

DSC_1011_zpsps06xcfr.jpg

DSC_1013_zps3pnfavey.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a super quick update of my 'furthest along' stuff... its not much... been buying too much but that looks like its starting to slow down ;) 

trapthemprogress-13_zpsdtai5kji.jpg

Plan is to knock off some of the 1e + neverborn things I have kicking around then hopefully finish about 5 figs a week or fortnight... big task but im thinking of trying a few different techniques so should be interesting... hopefully they dont wind up being too time consuming. 

• 4 weeks later...

Updates from the past couple of weeks. Decided to stop buying and building and get down to painting.

Going for new techniques as well as some speed and keeping it kind of loose. Decided not to pick out every single detail on things if I wasn't vibing on it and maybe just give them things a darker wash or something to separate it but keep it close to the majority colour. 

First crew I knocked off was Zoraida 

trapthemprogress-3_zpsbjsihqhz.jpg

Followed up by some waldgeists. 

trapthemprogress-4_zps7u7m1p24.jpg

I then kind of felt like doing a one off mini so I punched out a teddy for fun.

trapthemprogress-2_zpsxld24low.jpg

Jacob Lynch and some terror tots. 

trapthemprogress-5_zpsa51glo0o.jpg

trapthemprogress-1_zpscqdk52hx.jpg

With the last couple there I tried to texture some of the flat surfaces up a bit with a few techniques but overall not that happy with it. Could of done smooth blends but was thinking some texture might no go astray. Not that it is totally garbage overall but definitely could of done better if I took my time and did glazes. 

Regardless, pretty happy with the pace so far and keen to knock out some more soon. 

• Like 4

Great work on these. I noticed you've used airbrush for these. Could you share some tips about working with it? I've recently bought one, now just waiting for vallejo air paints before I start practicing with it. Id love to get some advice from someone who uses airbrush so skillfully.

I'm still learning as I go but it's such a game changer for time and control.

Best thing I've found is mixing primers for zenethil and colour primers to get a solid base of highlights and colour transition to work base coats on. Keep it thin (but not too thin) as the airbrush coats do stack up and you don't want to clog details.

I use badger primer, game and model air as well as thin down p3 paints as well. All the cleaners etc are badger or Vallejo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks all, really enjoying the malifaux minis (much to the detriment of the people I play infinity against and my not even primed armies). 

Really enjoying playing around with different styles from crew to crew and trying new techniques to suit themes :D

*edit* 

Figure I might as well drop this in here as well. Going to be doing some stuff up for a new game called Frostgrave using a bunch of minis from my collection already. Did this scale chart up for some people on an AU forum and figured it would have a good place here as well. 

COMPARISON CHART

Please note I am not defining true or heroic scale options - just what they are usually labelled as when you want to buy. Some of the options may be re branded 32mm because bases are 32mm or be labelled 30mm and things like that. Hopefully this helps people a bit when shopping around for rough ideas of scale for proxies etc. 

Ok so from left to right!

- Infinity 2nd Ed (nomads male) [28mm scale]

- Infinity 3rd Ed (nomads male - same unit as above) [28mm scale]

- Reaper Halfling (pathfinder / dnd metals) [28mm scale]

- Reaper Human female (pathfinder / dnd metals) [28mm scale]

- GW Human (empire conversion - slightly hunched) [28mm scale]

- Reaper Bones - armored male (plastic - please note - no base) [28mm scale]

- GW Armored Chaos Human Male [28mm scale]

- Warthrone / Avatars of War Chaos Male (armored - the champion solo figures are larger though) [28mm scale]

- Hordes - Skorne (Male Solo) [30mm scale]

- Warmachine - Cryx (Female Warcaster) [30mm scale]

- Bushdio Male (cult of yurei) [30mm scale]

- Malifaux 1st Ed (guild guard - 2nd ed versions of this are larger / more dynamic) [30mm scale]

- Malifaux 2nd Ed (Freikorps) [30mm scale]

trapthemgrem_zpsgqslsxrq.jpg

Edited by trapthem

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, try to go for texture instead of constant blending.

Bit of progress.on a few things.

DSC_1502_zpst1daqpbm.jpg

Besides that... 

Sonia me1 crew
Lady j ME2
Perdita ME2 with pistoleros 
Tara nightmare 
Bunch of me1 guild like austringers, guard, sergeants, captain 
ME2 riflemen 
Bunch of me1 Neverborn 
Like insidious madness, lilitu/lelu, Alps, daydreams, teddy
ME2 dreamer 
Miss ery
Lilith crew and Nephilim 
Leveticus me1 crew

So much paint on the go right now! Slightly maddening but hopefully knock a bunch off soon.