Arcanists vs Brewmaster

Jordon

Hey all, 

So my local meta has been buzzing a lot about brewmaster lately and seeing how his release is upcoming, I figured we should discuss methods on dealing with him. I haven't personally had the chance to face him yet, but it's only a matter of time.

He seems extremely good at effectively locking down models to the point of uselessness. He will hit you with a  :-fate modifier to your actions and then use his (0) drinking game to force you into taking his "on the house" ability. Going first is obviously a huge deal and so I would expect to see trixy in almost every brewmaster list. 

Spreading out, going first and ranged threats seem to be the most effective way to combat him, but are there any specific examples of arcanists trickery that can help deal with him if you manage to get your master or other key models stuck in his drunken bubble?  

Seize the day seems like an obvious include, however the ability to cheat initiative still has better odds of going first so i'm not sure how reliable this will actually be. 

Condition removal via Johan or the effigy is also a solid include however the range of the effigy is rather short. I'm sure both will be high priority threats and so keeping them safe may be difficult. 

Condition immunity via blood ward seems to be the best method we have at our disposal but again places a huge bounty on the ox mage carrying it.

If I knew I were playing brewmaster then I believe Ironsides to be the best master to deal with him. Again the blood mage is absolutely key in her success and she can even benefit from "on the house" without the penalty of gaining poison. Just apply uppercuts until the job is finished.

Does anyone else have any tricks in dealing with brewmaster?

Ranged attacks are generally the answer to Brewmaster. Rasputina will probably handle him well enough. Kaeris with a few Gunsmiths (anybody with Gunsmiths), too. Colette can play her own game and ignore the bubble, for the most part. Ramos can drown him in spiders and snipe him with Electrical Fire from afar. Take out Wesley and the Performers and you're good to go. I'd avoid Marcus with him, if possible, and Ironsides probably doesn't love him, but Oxfordians shouldn't have too much trouble.

I'd avoid Marcus with him, if possible, and Ironsides probably doesn't love him, but Oxfordians shouldn't have too much trouble.

I agree, others have better things than Marcus against BM, but the Howl can negate the Intoxication Wp reduction, and his crew can spread out/be fast, which can neutralize the auras a fair bit. One of these days though, they'll find a beasty lurking in the wilderness whose salve can remove conditions... someday...

I think that an important consideration here is that you won't normally be tailoring your list against Brewmaster but rather against Gremlins. So how does Brewmaster affect Gremlin (and TT but I'm a Gremlin player so will be concentrating on them) meta?

When do you face Brewmaster? He generally sucks for Reckoning and Reconnoiter. He shines in Turf War and can be a valid choice for Squatters. Stake a Claim I would be surprised to see him but it wouldn't be utterly silly.

What other Gremlin Masters are you likely to face in Turf War and Squatters? Wong and Mah are especially good for Turf War, Ophelia is a solid choice as are Ulix, Zoraida, and Somer. In other words, all are possible choices so you need to prepare for all of them while taking Brewmaster into account.

Raspy is a good choice when facing gremlins in general. Lots of Ht1 stuff for the wedigo MI7 devour, take some hoarcats too who also like to devour and are especially good against shooting with small target and gremlins tend to rely on range.

Lots of the gremlin models and synergies rely on being close together for auras and buffs so Raspys blasts are great against this coupled with the fact they often have lots of low cost minions who can potentially die outright to blast markers.

I'm not saying it's a guarantee or anything close but the ice queen is often my first thought if I know I'm facing the gremlin faction.

• Like 1