Playing Against Pandora

jonahmaul

To be fair, this piece of advice applies to every Guild master out there, regardless of the situation.

I specifically wrote "kidding" to make sure that I don't believe that. But, to be sure, he is great with McM, as he remedies his glaring weakness in mediocre defensive stats. Also, Precise Francisco is no joke in melee.

I rarely clump up. I tend to use her totally seperate from the rest of my crew unless Turf war is on the table.

Most of the advice here i've already spoken about in our own group(minus the Resser specific stuff). She's a pain in the ass, and against a lot of Masters shd does very well. But OP? Is that the general opinion?

She's excellent at certain strategies, like Turf War. But then every faction has masters that excel at TW, and so on.

Does she have an advantage in some match-ups? Yes, but which master doesn't?

Is she OP? No. There is always an answer to her. Just as there is an answer to every master*.

*Except Ressers. They're broken and we all know it to be true.

• Like 1

Speaking as another Neverborn player, I'd have to say that my local group has pretty much got the measure of Pandora (or at least my version of her!). The best thing to do against her is almost always to find ways to ignore her, which will mean feeding her models with low damage profiles, and/or good defenses against wp, or the like, as others have already said. A huge part of Pandora's threat is her mobility, and a huge part of her mobility is the 4-inch Push she gets every time she succeeds on a WP duel. So if you're not attacking her, she's not making Wp duels, and thus not getting those free moves. If she's getting to use her WP 7, you're gong to be using lots of AP trying to take her out, and she's gong to be getting lots of pushes -- a key part of the frustration of playing against Pandora is precisely that, so work out a game plan that DOESN'T require killing her.

So really, 'ignoring her' doesn't mean 'letting her do whatever she wants,' but rather, giving her as few options (and as poor ones) as possible, and minimizing her access and threat to your key models. It can be very frustrating playing AS Pandora, rather than playing against Pandora, when you get to the end of the game and Pandy's still on full wounds and you realize she hasn't been able to do very much at all during the game.

Yes, all she needs is a moderate for a Rail Worker to melt!

On the whole "is she OP in general opinion?", no I don't think so. My understanding is that people find her potent and very annoying, while not being the most capable in strategies that you need to spread out. The latter is hogwash; Pandora is one of the best at Squatter's Rights, and she can lead the charge of a crew that is more than capable of handling any summoning engine in Recon, etc. 

Jonahmaul, what masters do you play then?

Presumably because, due to their high damage flip, and the interaction on hard to kill and pandora's misery aura, she can actually kill them in one shot with self loathing?

Exactly. Also, their excellent Damage reduction trigger is on Df. They just melt against her. Second Misery in range and they die in droves.

• Like 1

Question : How do I deal with Pandora?

Answer : Apply The Viks liberally

Result : Laugh in Pandora Player's Face repeatedly

:D

Do you have a problem in Malifaux? Not to worry. Try the MasterDisaster patented problem solving miracle formula. Apply Viks to the face.

• Like 1

Pandora is one of the best at Squatter's Rights, and she can lead the charge of a crew that is more than capable of handling any summoning engine in Recon, etc. 

Jonahmaul, what masters do you play then?

Agree on the need to spread out, Pandora is so versatile she is good at everything!

I play Ressers, Guild and Outcasts and have every Master currently available in plastic though I most often play Ressers.  I've been playing a lot of Seamus against her recently as I'm thinking of taking him to a single tournament Master and I did pull out a win recently but in the most recent game she spent most of the game Paralysing Seamus and Bishop and Chiaki was no good because she would also put Incite on and force me to activate the Paralysed things before Chiaki could remove the condition.  She also made a lot of my things insignificant so that I could not complete my schemes (this was the worst game (not because I lost, but because it was not in the slightest bit enjoyable) I'd had against her to be fair).

I've been on the receiving end of this tactic. It's so frustrating it makes you want to pull your hair out. 

Yep!  I don't mind losing but I like to have fun while doing it!  Although this game seemed to have everything conspiring against me as until turn five (when the game was basically already over) I had the RJ once but other than that my highest card in hand was a 10, despite spending a SS on turns two, three and four!  Those sort of hands usually balance out when flipping but not this time apparently.

• Like 1