The Movies You Want

Let's just say that you're at a convention over a long holiday weekend (which may or may not be the Nova Open), and this convention just happened to have a charity lounge with some nice adult beverages.

What are the movies you want playing there, while you're laughing/having a good time with your last round's opponent/new friend?

Initial thoughts:

Aliens
Star Wars Trilogy
Predator
Die Hard
Big Trouble in Little China
Enemy at the Gates
Pacific Rim
Saving Private Ryan
Avengers
Gangs of New York
Battle Los Angeles
Independence Day
Black Hawk Down
Iron Man
Conan the Barbarian
Mad Max 2: the Road Warrior
Hitchhiker's Guide

What are we missing? What should be vetoed?

Personally, I'd add 13th Warrior, and the Mummy or the Scorpion King. I'd veto Private Ryan. It's a great movie, but a bit too close to home for me for the mood the other movies seem to aim for. Or add Schindler's List to the roster...

Personally, I'd add 13th Warrior, and the Mummy or the Scorpion King. I'd veto Private Ryan. It's a great movie, but a bit too close to home for me for the mood the other movies seem to aim for. Or add Schindler's List to the roster...

No no, show Grave of the Fireflies.

If I am hanging out having a drink with a friend (new or old) and there is a movie playing... it would never be a movie that is meant to have a legitimate emotional impact, or one that needs you to invest yourself into it's characters or plot.

While they are great movies, I personally would veto Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gates, and probably Gangs of New York. I would save these to watch when I wanted to see a great film and enjoy it for that.

If some buddies of mine want to have a few drinks and have a movie on in the back ground, it's almost always going to be something entertaining, but somewhat mindless, or else we all get sucked in. So, I would opt to add these in place of what I vetoed:

Dredd (2012)

Evil Dead (any of the 4 movies in the franchise)

Pitch Black

Star Trek into Darkness

The Fifth Element

to name a few. =]

anyway, movies are extremely subjective anyway, so this is just my two cents.

• Like 1

Fun movies with no concern for actual quality (read: may be awesomely bad)

Re-Animator

Mutant Chronicles

How to Make a Monster

Baron Munchausen

From Dusk Til Dawn

Snatch

Ghostbusters

any of the Mad Max films

any of the Tremors films

Hellboy

Galaxy Quest

I should stop now.

• Like 2

I'm going to throw some support behind Ghostbusters, Hellboy, and Galaxy Quest! I wish I had those three on my own list.

Also, seeing Re-Animator made me think of Peter Jackson's Dead Alive... which is awful... and amazing.... lol. So add that one to my list!

If I am hanging out having a drink with a friend (new or old) and there is a movie playing... it would never be a movie that is meant to have a legitimate emotional impact, or one that needs you to invest yourself into it's characters or plot.

While they are great movies, I personally would veto Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gates, and probably Gangs of New York. I would save these to watch when I wanted to see a great film and enjoy it for that.

If some buddies of mine want to have a few drinks and have a movie on in the back ground, it's almost always going to be something entertaining, but somewhat mindless, or else we all get sucked in. So, I would opt to add these in place of what I vetoed:

Dredd (2012)

Evil Dead (any of the 4 movies in the franchise)

Pitch Black

Star Trek into Darkness

The Fifth Element

to name a few. =]

anyway, movies are extremely subjective anyway, so this is just my two cents.

How could I forget Pitch Black? 

Army of Darkness also seems highly appropriate. Dredd is amazing and wonderful, but there has been opposition to that. I'd love to have The Raid: Redemption in there, but I don't know if there would be opposition to subtitled films (as you have to pay more attention to them). That's a sticking point with a lot of the great anime, that and the RANDOM VOLUME CHANGES.

So, just in case Matt Stanley was too subtle, we'll be showing the movies the community ends up voting on / selecting throughout the NOVA Open this year ... so if you're attending the Malifaux National Championship, and you have a great game with your opponent (or a less than great game) (or the Malifaux Narrative and Story events, or Enforcer Brawls, or Paint Seminars, etc.), you can go upstairs to the one of the Hyatt's super swank suites and buy each other affordable craft beer and cocktails in support of charity (Breast Cancer Research Foundation, Doctors Without Borders, and the Fisher House Foundation) ... and watch awesome movies out the corner of your eye while you do it.

Someone already beat me to adding The 13th Warrior. "Only an Arab would bring a dog to war" ... Sidir ... stuff ...

• Like 1